Book early or Book late?

Ok, what if you don't care what cabin you end up with and just want to get the cheapest price. Would you book early or do you think booking last minute gets you the best price? My husband and I have always been more concerned with the cabin selection so price wasn't a priority for us, but my daughter and her husband want to go on a cruise and want to get it the cheapest they can. Anyone have past experience with this?

Most cruiselines (check their policies before booking!!!) will give you price drops, if they occur, after you book. So, early would make sense. But do check with the cruiseline about that!

And remember, they don't automatically give you price drops---you have to keep an eye on the price, call them, and ask for it!

It can also depend on when you go, what ship you go on and where the ship goes. Booking for spring break time, summertime, and holidays will always be higher, and it would be best to book early, and watch for a price drop. If their time is flexible, or they don't care where/when they go, they can wait for more of a last minute type deal. Sometimes, this isn't the best way to save, as last minute airfare can be pretty costly.

Our Nav. cruise, we booked 2nd week of Oct. They had a residency special of $249.pp interior for 5 nights. The next 5 nights was $299. pp interior. Not bad prices. We were going to drive to FL as we were planning to visit family, and stay for a while.

Shortly before christmas, we saw the Liberty had a sailing on 2-7-10 that ws as low as $419. pp for an interior. We decided to jump on the Liberty, and get airfare, rather than drive. We paid about $200. for airfare down (southwest, so no baggage fees). Our return flight cost $280. and we have to pay for baggage. Overall, we thought we made out quite well. Just after we booked the Liberty, I noticed the price on our Nav. that was $299. was not $249., so I got the savings of $50. pp as OBC.

Our schedule is very flexible and it worked to our advantage. Our last cruise, we booked in Nov. 08 for Nov. 09 on NCL Dawn. It was their repositioning cruise from NYC to Miami. We got a great rate of $719. pp total for oceanview cabin. It was for 14 nights. It was a great cruise.

There are many deals out there. In order to find them, you must constantly be searching the websites for them. Guess it depends on how much time you want to spend looking to save money too.

We prefer to take lots of cruises in interior cabins. We get the same food, same islands, same entertainment as all the other passengers. We don't mind going in the steerage group!

Last year we tried booking 3.5 months out. Failed to notice DDs passports were due to expire. Expedited them, but didn't want to book till new passports in hand. When we did book 6 weeks out, prices had gone up, and we ended up with an OV cabin, instead of the balcony for same price 3.5 months previously.

I guess it depends where you're going. Last year because of the great deals on cruises to Alaska we decided at the last minute to join my husband's extended family on their cruise. We booked 2 ob/view cabins less than 6wks out for a great price. A few days before the cruise we were up-graded to a mini-suite and given an addition $1k obc.

I guess it depends where you're going. Last year because of the great deals on cruises to Alaska we decided at the last minute to join my husband's extended family on their cruise. We booked 2 ob/view cabins less than 6wks out for a great price. A few days before the cruise we were up-graded to a mini-suite and given an addition $1k obc.

You got quite the deal!! I have never heard of such a huge OBC! It would seem you enjoyed your cruise that much more! The upgrade fairy loved you guys!! Glad to hear they still are upgrades being given from Oceanview to Balcony or even in your case........... to a mini-SUITE!!:D

You got quite the deal!! I have never heard of such a huge OBC! It would seem you enjoyed your cruise that much more! The upgrade fairy loved you guys!! Glad to hear they still are upgrades being given from Oceanview to Balcony or even in your case........... to a mini-SUITE!!:D

The OBC was thanks to a CC member "Ron". When I happily posted here about the upgrade, he said to ask for more. I did and I got it. And yes we all enjoyed the cruise that much more!

Archived