Advice for non-cruise dive trip

cardbucfan

Hi all, we are newly certified divers and are going on a cruise in April specifically chosen for the itinerary (GC, Coz, Belize, Roatan) so we can dive each port (thanks to you all for helping me choose it!). Because of work issues, our summer vacation plans (non-cruise) have to change from our planned two week Grand Canyon RV adventure to a one week trip close to Florida (where we live). So, we want to do a dive trip. Don't want to do a live-aboard, not ready for that, and the cruises that I have looked at for July don't look like they go to good dive spots (other than where we are going in April) so we want to do a land based vacation. Can you all help me get started? Websites that cater to dive resorts/vacations? Favorite places? Places to steer clear of? We want to maximize vacation time and minimize travel so someplace that's easy to fly to would be ideal. Oh, there are four of us, me, DH and DS13 and DS15 so it has to be family friendly too.

Thanks in advance for any advice/hints you can give me!

you didn't say but I'm assuming everyone dives ... here's my recommendations

1. Grand Cayman - Sunset House: easy to get to....pretty low cost air fare if you shop it right. Sunset Divers will give you new divers GREAT access to the wall by boat everyday and great shore diving "right there" in the afternoon, and great night diving right there too if you decide you are up for it. Downside is Cayman prices for everything else including meals . . and the fact that there is major shopping available . . . lock up the charge card. Kid wise: as long as you dive, SH loves you. http://www.SunsetHouse.com

2. Cayman Brac, Brac Reef: After many trips to Sunset we discovered this place ... advantages were new sites (you can boat to Little Cayman too) & NO shopping alternatives!!!! No seriously, the Brac is nice with no distraction options available and to us that was GOOD. http://www.bracreef.com/ down side is no 'right there' shore diving so SH wins on that point. Air cost should be about the same cuz the big jets can get into Brac (unlike first time I went when we had to land at Grand and transfer to a puddle jumper).

3. There is a school of thought that says quiet shore diving is good for new divers. I'm not sure I agree but for total flexability in your dive schedule and total control of where/when you dive, Bonaire has to be it. Buy your 'dive pass' pick up your guide book and dive any of the hundred plus dive sites marked by numbered yellow painted rocks on the side of the beach roads. Oh yes, you'll want to rent a vehicle but that is easily done. Plus side: no schedules and no crowds....if anyone is there drive to the next rock! Down side: you are new so do you want NO supervision/guide?

Live in Florida and want to go diving? Maybe a trip down to the Keys?

Cayman Brac is great, but like the good Capt said, there are no "distractions" so it is pretty much diving, rent a car for shore diving, then hang out by the pool. Kids might get bored unless they are self entertaining.

If you can find a deal on airfare, I'd go to Cozumel and stay at http://www.blueangelresort.com/ I'd dive with http://www.bluextseadiving.com

Out of Miami--Insel Air goes to Bonaire nonstop on Saturdays, current airfares are in the $320-400. range. If you want you can shore dive all week on Bonaire. Insel is a pretty new airline out of Curacao and flights the rest of the week to Bonaire go thru there, then a short hop over to Bonaire; so you would be able to get to Bonaire or Curacao quickly and easily from MIA. From my point of view Bonaire is second behind Little Cayman as a Caribbean dive destination. Start at http://www.infobonaire.com and http://www.bonairetalk.com

Hi, yes we are all certified (DS13 is still a junior diver) so though I like Bonaire because it will be something different than what we are doing in April, I'm a little leery to be completely on our own. We've done the Keys so much for regular vacations and are going to try to do a weekend there in February before the cruise so even though can't beat it for convenience and cost (own car, drive down, etc) it doesn't feel like enough of a "vacation". Lovin' the advice so far. What do you all think about Turks & Caicos particularly Beaches? I've heard mixed things about the resort and since we don't drink much AI's are a little over priced for what we will be looking for especially if we will be going off each day to dive.

There are many dive resorts on Bonaire; Habitat, Buddydive, Carib Inn are all great and have boat dives, pool, etc. Another that may have some bargains during the summer is Divi Flamingo Beach Resort.

We did a cruise dive at Grand Turk a year or so ago--waaay nice, but land based was going to be waaaay high--I looked because we had enjoyed diving the wall there so much. We also liked the diving at St Thomas on the same cruise. So another cruise that involves those 2 might be nice.

Although you will be there on your cruise, you may want to consider going back to Roatan. One dive does not do it justice. We went there on a cruise 2 years ago, and ended up on a land based vacation to Anthony's Key the next year. Many possibilities for diving (wrecks, sharks, dolphins, etc), very family friendly resort, and a good value, since meals and dives are included in the price. They also offer courses if you want to get advanced certification or specialties.

My daughter and son-in-law spent one week of their honeymoon at the Deep Blue View in Bonaire and absolutely loved it.

The ABC islands are far enough south in the Caribbean there is seldom an issue regarding hurricanes.

Check out the reivews of the Deep Blue View on tripadvisor.com

Archived