Fll

sweet angel

You may also want to crunch the numbers because even though flying in to FLL is typically less expensive than MIA, you should ask yourself if it's still worth it once you factor in the ground transportation costs between MIA & FLL plus the additional travel time once you get on the ground.

THanks for the input. I didn't pick FLL because of a difference in fares. I'm in NJ and wanted to fly Spirit out of Atlantic City, rather than drive to a different airport. Spirit doesn't fly directly to Miami, only to FLL.

I booked RCL transfers - $120 RT for 3 people. I still have time to look at other options though.

My biggest problem at the moment is that our return flight doesn't leave until 6ish at night. I may have to seek out rental info for that portion so we have something to do. Only other return flight was 11 a.m. Think we could make that?

My biggest problem at the moment is that our return flight doesn't leave until 6ish at night. I may have to seek out rental info for that portion so we have something to do. Only other return flight was 11 a.m. Think we could make that?

No way could you make an 11am flight out of FLL if you are docking in Miami. You wouldn't get to the airport much before 11am and you have all the cruise passengers who are disembarking in FLL to contend with at the airport. Sometomes the FLL airport is a real zoo!! A rental car would be your best bet.

Thanks for the response. I didn't think we'd be able to make it by 11. Any ideas what rental companies are near Miami port that are also by FLL? I've never flown out of FLL before (nor sailed from Miami) -- I could give you almost any info about Port Canaveral and MCO though! :)

Thanks for the link. Now I have to figure out what companies are also at the Port, figure out what time I can reasonably expect to be off the ship to pick up the car, and what we can do for a few hours in Ft. Lauderdale.

Good thing I have til November to get this done!

If I just took RCL transfers, how long would I have to kill at the airport? Is there anything to do there?

Edited to add: I was just poking around looking at cars and I'm confused! ARE there any companies at the port or do I have to take a transfer to MIA, then pick up a car to drive to FLL?

I'm butting in here...but the info will help the original poster.

How much time does it take to get through security at FLL after a cruise (say 9:30-10AM on a Saturday morning?). I'm booked for October 2005 and last year in October it was an 1 1/2 hour wait through security. The TSA says now on Sat. at 10 it's approx. 15-40 mins.

http://waittime.tsa.dhs.gov/search?airport=FLL&day=Saturday&time=9&submit=SUBMIT

Should I really believe that? Has something drastically changed?

Peggy

RCI offers post cruise tours of the Everglades and other local attractions. They will keep your bags and then drop you off at the airport. You may want to look into something like that as well. Sorry, don't know about how to rent the cars in MIA.

Sweet angelThere are 5 of us flying into FLL for a cruise out of Miami. I'm renting a minivan from National out of FLL for around $52. We are staying 1 night precruise at the embassy suites miami airport. Either that night or in the am DH will return the car to miami airport and take the hotel's shuttle back. From there we will grab a cab to the port. Hopefully it will be painless:o

~Lurker

Does that mean there are no car rental companies at the port? Can anyone enlighten me as to that? Also, how far is Miami Airport from the port? Would shuttling/taxing to Miama Airport and then renting a car for the day be an option?

Also, supposing I do a post-cruise shore excursion that will drop us off at FLL, do I then cancel the return transfer portion?

Sorry but from what I've read on these boards as well as my own extensive research there are NO CAR RENTAL returns at the port.

I dont have my info in front of me but it's either Alamo or Avis that offers a shuttle to/from the pier. Hopefully someone else can verify.

I would have gone with them for the convenience but I'm partial to National:rolleyes: because honestly they're all I've ever used.

HTH

~Lurker

I thought the same thing!! But, flying from LaGuardia into FLL saved my family almost $700 so I guess if I have to pay approx. $250 in rental cars so be it. :) I'm just worried DH is gonna think its a real pain in the a$$. Oh well....too late now.

BTW: The $250 in rental cars (minivans) is LGA back and forth and FLL back and forth. not too bad considering RCI transfers just from port to FLL would cost us $120!:eek:

~Lurker

We're booked for roundtrip transfers to and from FLL for $120 for 3 of us. I guess if I book a post-cruise excursion, I would pay for the excursion (most likely more than $60 for 3) and that would cancel out the transfer from port to FLL.

Ugh. Good thing it's awhile til my cruise!

We are flying into Flkl the day before our cruise on the Navigator out of Miami. Rented a mid-size car from dollar for 52.oo dollars, including taxes etc. Will drop the car off at the Miami airport the next morning and Dollar will shuttle us over to the port. We are doing this President's week, and most companies were sold-out of cars or only had larger cars left. You could do this for around 35 dollars for a compact with Hertz most week-ends.

I'm not worried about getting TO the port from FLL. My concern is with a 6:05 p.m. flight OUT of FLL -- what our options are for the day. I'm starting to think that sitting in the airport for hours on end is the best option.

I don't want to have to go from port to Miami Airport to rent a car to drive to FLL. That seems a bit much, but maybe it's just that I'm over-thinking this whole thing. It seems like it would mean shuttling from port to airport to rental car for a couple hours to go to airport. See what I mean?

Yea, Sounds like a LOOOONG day - doesn't seem worth it. Our flight out is 2:42pm........so we'll probably just sit around the airport. Probably wont get off the ship before 11am and probably wont get to FLL before 12:30 so I guess we'll grab some airport food and hang. ~Lurker

Archived