Cruise Insurance (CSA Travel Protection)

jim268361

Anyone have any experience with CSA Travel Protection? Booked a cruise last year and didn't buy insurance. I have not made my final cruise payment yet so this company is the only one where I can get pre-exisiting condition coverage at this point in time.

With the other complaint here about TravelSafe, I was wondering what the experiences have been with CSA..........

Thanks.

Wow thanks to the other insurance threads I was reading I ran a BBB check of CSA. BBB gave them an A+ with 64 complaints in the last three years. Seems kind of high to me for the rating AND the number of complaints.

http://www.bbb.org/san-diego/business-reviews/insurance-travel/csa-travel-protection-in-san-diego-ca-9000079/

BBB processed a total of 64 complaint(s) about this business in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total 64 complaint(s) closed in the last 36 months, 25 were closed in the last 12 months.

These complaints concerned:

2 regarding Advertising Issues

15 regarding Contract Disputes 15 regarding Contract Disputes

2 regarding Customer Services Issues 2 regarding Customer Services Issues

2 regarding Guarantee Or Warranty Issues 2 regarding Guarantee Or Warranty Issues

1 regarding Product Issues 1 regarding Product Issues

31 regarding Refund Or Exchange Issues 5 regarding Failure to honor refund, exchange or credit policies 26 regarding Refund Or Exchange Issues

2 regarding Selling Practices 2 regarding Selling Practices

9 regarding Service Issues 9 regarding Service Issues

Wow thanks to the other insurance threads I was reading I ran a BBB check of CSA. BBB gave them an A+ with 64 complaints in the last three years. Seems kind of high to me for the rating AND the number of complaints.
Now go check out the BBB ratings of the cruiselines and the number of complaints....the insurance companies sound a lot better. :p

http://www.bbb.org/san-diego/business-reviews/insurance-travel/csa-travel-protection-in-san-diego-ca-9000079/

BBB processed a total of 64 complaint(s) about this business in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total 64 complaint(s) closed in the last 36 months, 25 were closed in the last 12 months.

These complaints concerned:

2 regarding Advertising Issues

15 regarding Contract Disputes 15 regarding Contract Disputes

2 regarding Customer Services Issues 2 regarding Customer Services Issues

2 regarding Guarantee Or Warranty Issues 2 regarding Guarantee Or Warranty Issues

1 regarding Product Issues 1 regarding Product Issues

31 regarding Refund Or Exchange Issues 5 regarding Failure to honor refund, exchange or credit policies 26 regarding Refund Or Exchange Issues

2 regarding Selling Practices 2 regarding Selling Practices

9 regarding Service Issues 9 regarding Service Issues

Why would you think 60 something or even the 80 something complaints are high when they sell thousands of policies? Also complaints can be anything, however minor.

CSA is a good and reputable company. Like everything else you have to read the fine print, and know what you are buying, also you need to know what YOUR responsibilities are in the event you need the coverage and be prepared to comply with whatever those rules are.

Many people buy ins. don't read anything about it, have a claim, don't notify in time or follow procedures, because they didn't read about them and then file a complaint when they are denied or delayed.

Now go check out the BBB ratings of the cruiselines and the number of complaints....the insurance companies sound a lot better. :p

Why would you think 60 something or even the 80 something complaints are high when they sell thousands of policies? Also complaints can be anything, however minor.

CSA is a good and reputable company. Like everything else you have to read the fine print, and know what you are buying, also you need to know what YOUR responsibilities are in the event you need the coverage and be prepared to comply with whatever those rules are.

Many people buy ins. don't read anything about it, have a claim, don't notify in time or follow procedures, because they didn't read about them and then file a complaint when they are denied or delayed.

I think that is a high number because the majority of the people who buy trip insurance never use it or have a claim. When 2000 people go on a cruise, 2000 people "use the cruise". With trip insurance, 1500 people may buy it, and, I don't know what the number is it, but maybe only 50 people or less "use the insurance" by filing a claim.

The other issue is how many people never even bother to file a complaint with the BBB. Just sounds high to me. I am going to look up the other insurance companies on the BBB to see how the numbers compare.

I think that is a high number because the majority of the people who buy trip insurance never use it or have a claim.

About half of the complaints (31) are for refunds. CSA's policy is pretty clear -- you have 10 days to cancel for any reason and get a full premium refund. After that, it's yours. Some people just can't understand that I guess. So about 50% of the complaints have nothing to do with the use of the insurance or the claims handling.

For comparison, Travel Guard has 98 complaints and an A rating.

To me, selling a complicated and hard to understand product like travel insurance will always generate complaints. Some will be because the customer doesn't fully understand what they've purchased. Many will be because the company screwed up -- every company does occasionally. The true test is if the company addresses these complaints in a satisfactory manner. The BBB figures that CSA handles any complaints in a manner deserving of their highest rating.

As a side note, CSA was the only travel insurance company to ever receive a "Best Buy" rating from the old Consumer Reports Travel Letter. Things like claims handling and customer service were taken into account.

• 11 months later...

I have used CSA twice and had no problems with claims either time. Call me a satisfied customer and I would recommend CSA. I especially like that you don't have to buy the policy until final payment.

Archived