Compensation for Delayed Return??

gwen1019

Here is one for ya, a Carnival ship had a ill pax and dropped them in Cozumel where they were admitted to a hospital. Pax cant afford to get home. What would you do. Click on the arrow next to the posters name to get to the thread. I got flamed for saying Id get a van and a medical person and go down and get them, lol, so I guess my idea is out. The OP seems to think Carnival should have gotten the ill pax (her friend) to the U.S. Coast Guard.

Hi! Wasn't sure where to post this...need help from fellow CC members.

I have a friend who's mom was on a cruise this week. (Think it was Carnival but not sure which ship) She had a medical emergency on board and the ship's doc couldn't keep her stabalized. Instead of the Coast Guard medvac, the Captain made an emergency stop in Cozumel. Friend's mom was taken to the hospital there and here's where the trouble is. No travel insurance!!!! Another friend has family in Mexico and it is confirmed that our friend's mom actually is in the hospital there and in terrible condition. The hospital told the family it would be around $13000 to medvac her to Miami. If they don't do that, they will move her to indigent care in another part of the country; however, the hospital still wants some kind of huge deposit for her care so far. How on earth does my friend get help? They don't have that kind of money and her mom's health insurance here won't pay for international care. Who does she contact? Embassy or something in Mexico? Coast Guard? Does anyone have any idea at all what needs to take place?

Thanks to all in advance for ANY ideas you might have.

Here is one for ya, a Carnival ship had a ill pax and dropped them in Cozumel where they were admitted to a hospital. Pax cant afford to get home. What would you do. Click on the arrow next to the posters name to get to the thread. I got flamed for saying Id get a van and a medical person and go down and get them, lol, so I guess my idea is out. The OP seems to think Carnival should have gotten the ill pax (her friend) to the U.S. Coast Guard.

Since the OP of this situation wasn't sure which cruise line the ill person was on....I will give a "blanket" opinion to all cruise lines.

A cruise line has to think of the life of the passenger. If someone becomes ill enough to need hospitalization, then the first port with a hospital is where the ship will go.

After the cruise ship has safely delivered the ill person, the cruise ship has completed their obligation to that passenger.

Once the ill passenger is stabilized enough to travel, it is their responsibility to get themselves back to their home country.

It isn't the cruise ships responsibility. And it certainly isn't the Coast Guard's responsibility (my tax dollars by the way)....because someone was to cheap to purchase travel insurance. If they could not afford the travel insurance, then (IMHO) they can't afford the trip and should stay home.

Btw, I don't think most cruisers realize how little a ship's doctor can do.

For example: If you have a burst appendix....they will simply give you antibiotics until they can either Life Flight you off the ship or get you to a hospital at a port.....

they do not have a full surgical theater onboard the ship.....

We dropped a pax off in the Cayman Islands on our way to Jamaica (because they said the hospitals were better), so it is true Carnival will go out of their way to get the pax to a hospital.

re: the above, Carnival did do more later on.

The hospital wound up transfering her to indigent care. The US Embassy rep was at the hospital and Carnival put her sister up at a hotel and took care of her food. Basically they were told that Mexican law will not allow them to leave until all medical bills are paid. The embassy couldn't do anything for them.

I heard from a mutual friend that mom is on the way home. I think they got a church involved.

Absolutely not. I was on the Conquest after Ike hit when we not only were one day late, but got dumped in a different port city to find our way home.

Another big no. You are on your own. They made calls to change air only if you booked air thru Carnival. If you booked on your own ... good luck.

Same here on DCL during Hurricane Frances...4 more days....they fed us..entertained us..etc....we tipped for the extra days and had insurance. that covered about $200 in extra costs for all 6 of us. BUy insurance and don't worry about it and do not book your return flight too early and use an airline with frequent flights out of your port city and the environs. Our airline..Jetblue...knew all about the issues with all the ships out during the hurricaine....and scheduled extra flights homebound for their pax....because they knew what day the ships were coming in and at what ports...as Port Canaveral. had sustained much damage we were rerouted to debark in FLL.

Archived