Champagne Price Increase

Sailing on Adventure at the moment - the price for a glass of Moet is now $17 compared with $13 when we left Voyager after transatlantic in December. I know prices have been static for a long time but $4 dollars per glass seems a bit of a steep increase - hubby says I need to change my drink!!! I presume its the same price across the fleet.

Sailing on Adventure at the moment - the price for a glass of Moet is now $17 compared with $13 when we left Voyager after transatlantic in December. I know prices have been static for a long time but $4 dollars per glass seems a bit of a steep increase - hubby says I need to change my drink!!! I presume its the same price across the fleet.

It's cheaper by the bottle, The champagne bar will cork it, tag it and keep it for you and you can enjoy it the following day and the next day and so on. We always do this and it stays well.

Generally, as the other posted suggested, you would get 6 or even possibly 5 glasses of champagne out of a bottle. The cheapest I have ever found Moet in the states is in the low $30's and generally it is in the low to mid $40's/750ml bottle. So assuming $35/bottle and 6 glasses per bottle, that would mean RC is charging just less than 3x their cost. I don't find that ratio out of whack with most restaurants or with how they price other bottles of wine, particularly if they are serving it by the glass.

Mark

Generally, as the other posted suggested, you would get 6 or even possibly 5 glasses of champagne out of a bottle. The cheapest I have ever found Moet in the states is in the low $30's and generally it is in the low to mid $40's/750ml bottle. So assuming $35/bottle and 6 glasses per bottle, that would mean RC is charging just less than 3x their cost. I don't find that ratio out of whack with most restaurants or with how they price other bottles of wine, particularly if they are serving it by the glass.

Mark

But its a bar not a restaurant, never in any bar have we paid that much for a glass.

But then I have a choice, I pay it or I dont.;)

Both the price of wine and champagne is going down...quite a bit actually..Will be interesting to see if that's reflected in the retail industry...We were on a recent trip to Northern California and several of the major wineries said they have already reduced prices and anticipate even more reductions as wines from overseas are also being reduced. There is a HUGE glut of very good wine available now. Some merchants have decided even though they have too much they will not lower prices. Time will tell but I'll bet in 6 months the prices will drop at least 30% of some very good wines....but don't bet that happening at the cruiseline level.

It is interesting about the price of champagne. I have been buying Veuve Clicquot for years and at the local high volume, discount liquor store it was as low as $36/bottle a few years ago, it got up to $40 and now is down to $38 (NV, 750ml bottle). I can't figure it out. I do know the Euro has gone up significantly against the dollar over the past 4 years (Was about 1.20, now it is 1.45) and that the nice people in Champagne are like the DeBeers people (diamonds), they both control the market and kind of can do what they want. All things considered, I am happy Veuve can still be had for under $40. During the holidays, a local wine store was selling it for $34/bottle. Tough to beat that.

Archived