beach toys for kiddos

VacayAway

We are cruising with our 6 and 2 year olds in March and will do mostly beach visits in our ports of call. Does anyone have suggestions for beach toys that can be packed in a suitcase??? Or do ships often have these types of things available for purchase? We'll be on the NCL Jewel.

THANKS!

Bring a bucket and shovel...and maybe a blow-up raft....that should be all you need. Kids are great at making their own fun from a shell or stick! Put the bucket in the suitcase and pack stuff in it...socks, swimsuits, underwear....stuff that can be "crammed" in and wrinkles won't hurt them! That way, the bucket isn't taking up wasted space!

If you find those items either in port or onboard (which I doubt) you'll pay about 3 times the price!

I've seen sand buckets that hold all the accompanying things like little shovels and molds inside the bucket- at Dollar Store. They're not too big, and might be a bit bulky to pack, but you could just toss them on your last cruise day. I've also seen cheap plastic blow-up small innertubes - again at Dollar Store. Several could be easily packed, and after using one at a beach, rather than haul this sandy inflated thing back to the ship, just leave it in beach trash can. There's also the inflatable beach balls and cheap kids' mask and snorkel. However, the problem you may run into if you're cruising in March is that these are seasonal items that usually don't appear on shelves until late spring/early summer. My DGD's birthday is in late Feb., and last year her parents gave a "beach bucket decorating" birthday party for her. DD had to go on-line to find beach buckets packed with the little tools. Some of the beaches rent (large) foam floatie mats. If you lived near me, I'd gladly give you the inflatable inner tube with sling (for babies) that I got for grand kids last summer when they visited, but never used! If you can't find anything, sets of small plastic cups, bowls, and large plastic spoons would be good for sand play, cheap, and probably fairly easy to pack. Good luck, and enjoy your cruise!

BTW - I'm originally from Denver.

Hi!

When we traveled with little ones, I would take a set on nesting plastic measuring cups for each of them. Do you know the ones I mean? Usually about 5 and they all fit together, a 1 cup, 3/4 cup, 1/2, 1/3 and 1/4 I think.They were small enough to pack easily and entertained the kids for hours in a bath, at the beach, even in the hotel sink if I got desparate for a distraction!

Although 5 would seem like plenty, I always took two sets becuase it was guarenteed they would both want the same one!

Easy to find at the dollar store.

Danielle

Hi!

When we traveled with little ones, I would take a set on nesting plastic measuring cups for each of them. Do you know the ones I mean? Usually about 5 and they all fit together, a 1 cup, 3/4 cup, 1/2, 1/3 and 1/4 I think.They were small enough to pack easily and entertained the kids for hours in a bath, at the beach, even in the hotel sink if I got desparate for a distraction!

Although 5 would seem like plenty, I always took two sets becuase it was guarenteed they would both want the same one!

Easy to find at the dollar store.

Danielle

Great idea!!

When we went to Cuba last year, and for this years cruise, we are packing a large pail (like a 5 gallon square pail with a good handle) and inside it a bunch of plastic, discardable containers with several shovels. It was the best things we could have packed. The kids had more fun at the pool and on the beach with those things, and it also attracted other little ones to play with them. I was so glad I had made the room for these items. I just left them all behind when we left.

Archived