Amazon Cruise

BosoxI

We've never cruised on Oceania before, so I am hopeful some of you can provide some simple info. DW and I are considering a South American trip. Princess has a 14 day cruise to our destination and Oceania has a very interesting 24 day cruise to the same area. Aside from the difficulty my wife might have in getting a month off work, the Oceania looks really good. But cost is an issue, especially when I consider we have Elite status on Princess (free internet minutes, laundry, and a few other benefits), Can someone tell me the cost of internet connections on Oceania and can those of you who have cruised on both lines please give me comparison of Regatta vs the Princess small ships. Sure would appreciate a quick response as time's a wasting. Thanks.

In a quick nutshell, Oceania wins by a landslide. The "Tahitian Princess" (now re-named the Ocean Princess) is identical to Oceania's three ships, the Insignia, Regatta and Nautica. Beyond that there's just no comparison. Oceania's food for one is the best I've ever had at sea. Service on O is impeccable. I find the beds are better too. My hubby will not cruise Princess anymore since we've sailed Oceania.

The charge for the internet package we went with was $140 for 200 minutes. It was fine for our needs.

If you can swing the time, give Oceania a try. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

We've never cruised on Oceania before, so I am hopeful some of you can provide some simple info. DW and I are considering a South American trip. Princess has a 14 day cruise to our destination and Oceania has a very interesting 24 day cruise to the same area. Aside from the difficulty my wife might have in getting a month off work, the Oceania looks really good. But cost is an issue, especially when I consider we have Elite status on Princess (free internet minutes, laundry, and a few other benefits), Can someone tell me the cost of internet connections on Oceania and can those of you who have cruised on both lines please give me comparison of Regatta vs the Princess small ships. Sure would appreciate a quick response as time's a wasting. Thanks.

We took that 14 day Princess cruise last year. We loved it! The ship is beautiful and it is identical to the Regatta. We were happy with the food and service. We used our balcony a lot. The shore excursions are not as expensive as Oceania. We enjoyed snorkeling and hiking etc on the various Caribbean islands. We found Devil's Island to be especially interesting. But the best part of the cruise by far was the time on the Amazon. Some people stayed on the ship for the 14 day return trip to Florida! They said it was cheaper than paying for the airfare back to the States!

In my opinion, Oceania is more classy and elegant. But it costs more too!

We love Oceania but saying that we also cruise on the small ships of Princess and have had very enjoyable cruises on them, having cruised on them 6 times.

Food is subjective and we found that the food on the Nautica in the main dining room was too salty for our tastes whereas the food on Princess is fine for us.

The beds on Oceania are great but I have overcome the hard beds on Princess by requesting for an egg crate mattress before we board.

The internet packages on Oceania are very expensive. I think on our 35 day cruise I spent nearly $300 all up for time as it was extremely slow, whereas we are Platinum members of Princess and of course the internet is free.

We didn't find the excursions too expensive on Oceania, though we do tend to mainly find our own Private Tour guides and get together with other Roll Call members.

The main thing is cost and we can have a mini suite or a PH on Princess for the cost of a verandah on Oceania. If you find the itinerary that suits you best, go for it. We always go for the itinerary first and then the ship.

Jennie

Thanks to all. We have made a decision; the combination of my wife's uncertain schedule plus the wide variance in cost has led us, once again, to Princess. We just got off the Pacific after 26 days and it was a magnificent trip in every respect. Thanks again.

Archived