Two part question- Stoller/Car seat

twinmommy08

Part 1:

We have 16 month old twins, and looking for good umbrella strollers to buy for our cruise in March. We have a full size double stroller, but DH and I rather not take it with us because of the size. We figure two umbrella (type) will do.

We want something that has shade, reclines, cup holder, and can hold a small amount of stuff, and not so short that it will kill our backs. I've searched and searched but can only seem to find a Kolcraft, which appears nice, but I figure I can ask and see what others have used and or recommend.

Part 2:

We are flying in. We did not buy seats for the kids. We need to bring our car seats (light, highback booster type with 5 point harness). We've heard conflicting stories from Southwest customer service. We want to bring our stollers and carseats through security and up to the gate. There we will ask if the flight is full, if not, we're hoping to use the extra seats for the kids. If not, we will gate check the stollers and the car seats, no problem. HOWEVER- I've been told that if one gate checks car seats, it's considered checked luggage and goes agaisnt the paying fair allowance. So instead of bringing 4 suitcases we can only bring 2. Then I was told that we can "check" both car seats for 1 checked bag allowance (so we can still check 3 suitcases). Then I was told we can do what I want, take all 4 to the gate and if no room they will gate check them free. Ugh... I've already e-mailed customer service to explain and ask for a clear answer. No reply yet. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

Yea it's probably easier to buy them a seat, but I'm not paying another $600 for them to fly when they can fly for free. I'd rather spend my money on the boat.

Next year, when the kids are 2, we are driving to the port. I'm not going through this hassel again!!!

Hello!

I'm not sure what your budget is for the stroller, but Combi makes a very compact umbrella stroller for under $100. This may be a little pricey, but you can find great deals on last year's model, plus, they really are made sooooo much better than the run of the mill umbrella stroller.

I'm not familiar with SW policies. Hopefully customer service will give a the answer you're looking for. Don't forget to print out the letter and take it to check in just in case they give you hassles and change their policy at the gate. ;)

Last spring, I flew SW from BHM - PDX, and during boarding, a couple with a small child several people in front of me gate-checked their carseat/stroller combo. No one even asked about the number of bags they'd already checked, and the gate agent just put a destination airline tag on it. This was the segment LAS - PDX with no stops. Baby sat on the lap, and this plane was full! Saw them again at baggage claim, and the carseat/stroller was there. BTW, we were in the "B" boarding group. I might depend on if you have to change planes, though. I also flew SW over Christmas in 2008, and only had one checked bag. The lady in front of me (this was curbside check-in) had three, so we asked if she could use my second bag allowance, and they said "Sure!", since we were flying to the same destination. One reason I like SW. Good luck!

Thanks for the information! I'm going to look at the Combi stroller!!!

We stop in TN but do not change planes on either way, so I personally don't think gate checking will be a problem. I just don't want any surprises, you know? Hopefully we can use them, if not, it's not a big deal. Less than 2 hour flight anyway. I just don't want to check them and their lost or damaged and we have to buy a new one because the cruise line stated they can't transfer us without the kids in their car seats.

My guess (and it is only a guess) is that if you are flying to Florida in March chances are the flight will be full (spring break time and all). In my experience, SW usually is full when I've flown them to FLA (even at off times). I've never gate checked strollers/car seats on SW but all the times (over 9 yrs) that we've checked them with other airlines, they never ask about other bags and we have never been charged (including coming home from FLA beg of this year). When I've traveled when my kids were younger, we hooked the car seats onto the handles of the strollers and pushed them through the airports to the gate where we got "gate check" tags for them. Left them at the bottom of the jetway and when we arrived at the destination, they were in the jet way when we got off.

Just to add that every SW flight I've been on over the years has been full.....at all times of the year, and to lots of destinations. I say take the car seats with you to the gate. Enjoy your cruise!

Just be advised that while on shore, most taxis and vans don't even have seatbelts for a carseat, so strollers are a must.

I fly SW a lot on business, and like imsulin, rarely ever have a SW flight that isn't full. Since other airlines have started charging for checked bags, I find SW is even more popular than ever.

That being said, I have never seen nor heard of someone being asked about the number of bags already checked when something is gate checked. So I would add my vote to others that you should take the strollers and car seats on through and let them get gate checked.

Worse case scenario, they charge you but it is still cheaper than buying the extra seats for the babies.

I have a Chicco umbrella stroller that I love. I got it for $30 at a consignment shop, so I don't know what it would be brand new. It is light weight and had a really nice sun shade that pulls down really far. This was really important to me as we live in Arizona. It doesn't have a cup holder, but you can buy ones now that will attach to any stroller.

love my combi! bought some hooks that attach to the handle and some other attachment that will hold a water bottle for the adults.

folds up, reclines more than most, carrying strap, have taken it ALL OVER-- Germany, Prague, Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa, Chicago, Pittsburgh ---3 yr + now.

Other than one of the wheels being a bit out of alignment--thank you lots of cobblestones--it still works GREAT! BEST $$$ I have spent for the usage! On to 2nd kid now--my small 3yr old still uses it.

love my combi! bought some hooks that attach to the handle and some other attachment that will hold a water bottle for the adults.

folds up, reclines more than most, carrying strap, have taken it ALL OVER-- Germany, Prague, Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa, Chicago, Pittsburgh ---3 yr + now.

Other than one of the wheels being a bit out of alignment--thank you lots of cobblestones--it still works GREAT! BEST $$$ I have spent for the usage! On to 2nd kid now--my small 3yr old still uses it.

Can I be your Nanny? Current Passport and good with kids (my five grown ones will confirm). I have changed more diapers than God, and am a whiz at producing instant lunches. Your kids will love my thick bifocals, gray hair, mature demeanor, and grandmotherly ways. Love to travel, and am quick to adapt to foreign venues. My jealously of your travel has absolutely nothing to do with application!! My adherence to one constant has made my own kids very successful and happy adults:

"Because I said so!!"

Found my solutions!

Picked up two "cheap" strollers at Walmart for $25 each. Recline and has basket underneath and full coverage for shade. No cup holder, but I can manage. Although I wanted the Combi, DH said no :confused:

Found carseat "luggage" off Amazon for $20. My two car seats fit together as one and will fit in this bag perfectly! If it can hold a Britax it can hold my two high back, thin, car seats!

So we are checking the carseat luggage, two 29 inch suitcases, and one 28 inch luggage. That should hold us. I also found a sweet carryone that is very organized to bring. Now the only problem is how do we get the luggage from the shuttle at airport to the check in counter. Praying there is a luggage rack of some sort near the door! I'm sure it will all work out.

Can't help you with the flying but I LOVE our Maclaren Quest umbrella stroller.

It does recline about 5-6 inches (the deepest recline of the Macs IIRC)..It is super duper light and folds up tight. They don't have cupholders and the underneath basket is small (it is on all umbrellas) but I bought a strap on cupholder/accessory container thing and a diaper bag that clips onto the frame. Ours is super easy to manage and you can steer with one hand. I got a discontinued fabric pattern on Amazon for like $100 so it was a great deal (they can retail as high as $360) but anyway I didn't see Maclarens mentioned and thought I'd toss that name out there, as we love ours! :D

HTH, have a wonderful trip!

Archived