flying with full rum runners?

Has anyone flown with full rum runners? I won't have time to land, drive to a liquor store in Miami and then fill them up. I'm a little nervous about flying with them filled, but wondering if someone has done this successfully?

Tx!

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve flown multiple times with the RR and never have had a problem.

I do put them in zip-lock bags and make sure there is nothing sharp or with corners touching them. Usually I put them in small travel/make-up type bags as well.

I’ve flown multiple times with the RR and never have had a problem.

I do put them in zip-lock bags and make sure there is nothing sharp or with corners touching them. Usually I put them in small travel/make-up type bags as well.

We do the same. All 5 made it intact to Argentina in 2008 so, flying to Florida was a breeze! You cannot fill them completely when flying. They need room to expand and contract. The directions will explain.

The DH and I are going on RCL in October...we plan to fly but wont have time to buy beer before getting to the port...has anyone flown with beer cans in checked bags? I plan on getting a few RR's for my beverage of choice but didn't think beer would travel well in them?;) Need suggestions...

I wouldn't fly with cans of beer - I'm betting they explode.

The DH and I are going on RCL in October...we plan to fly but wont have time to buy beer before getting to the port...has anyone flown with beer cans in checked bags? I plan on getting a few RR's for my beverage of choice but didn't think beer would travel well in them?;) Need suggestions...

I wouldn't fly with cans of beer - I'm betting they explode.

A can or bottle of beer will not explode in an airplane unless it is crushed, punctured or otherwise mechanically compromised. Airplane cabins and cargo areas are pressurized to about 8000 feet. This means that the passengers experience the same pressure that they would experience while on an 8000' mountain even if the plane is at 39000'

I have personally taken a diet coke up to 14000' and it didn't explode. It does fizz over pretty good when you open it.

Not all cargo areas are pressurized - I have exploded cans of shave cream to show for that! And - luggage is tossed around a lot - aka crush, punctured etc.

Thanks - I don't want anything 'fizzing' all over my luggage any more that exploding.

A can or bottle of beer will not explode in an airplane unless it is crushed, punctured or otherwise mechanically compromised. Airplane cabins and cargo areas are pressurized to about 8000 feet. This means that the passengers experience the same pressure that they would experience while on an 8000' mountain even if the plane is at 39000'

I have personally taken a diet coke up to 14000' and it didn't explode. It does fizz over pretty good when you open it.

Not all cargo areas are pressurized - I have exploded cans of shave cream to show for that! And - luggage is tossed around a lot - aka crush, punctured etc.

Thanks - I don't want anything 'fizzing' all over my luggage any more that exploding.

Hi Ambrosia64,

I sorry but I have to disagree with you as I have never heard of a commercial airline that does not have a pressurized baggage compartment. I'm not saying there has never been one, but I have not heard of it.

My grandfather was a pilot, my dad is a pilot and I am a pilot so I have been around airplanes my entire life. Furthermore, I was an aircraft mechanic in the Army and hold a degree in aeronautical engineering although I now work as a mechanical engineer.

It is far more structurally efficient to pressurize the entire fuselage tube instead of the just the passenger compartment with is roughly half the tube. The passenger compartment floor would have to be way way stronger to support a half tube pressurization. Think about all the tanks you see everyday. They are almost all nearly round. They certainly aren't easier to fabricate in that shape.

As further evidence, many flights have live animals on board that fly in the baggage compartment that would not arrive alive if that area were not climate controlled and pressurized.

Now...your evidence...the shaving cream. Hum...why did it fail? In short, I don't know. Maybe something near it push the button while loads shifted. Perhaps the valve was not very strong and it failed with just the ~8000ft cabin pressure. After all, these are made by the gazillions as cheaply as possible. I have flown countless times with shaving cream and deodorant and have never had a problem. Also, every time I go to Germany I bring back as much beer in my checked luggage as I can fit.

Happy travels.

Hi Ambrosia64,

I sorry but I have to disagree with you as I have never heard of a commercial airline that does not have a pressurized baggage compartment. I'm not saying there has never been one, but I have not heard of it.

My grandfather was a pilot, my dad is a pilot and I am a pilot so I have been around airplanes my entire life. Furthermore, I was an aircraft mechanic in the Army and hold a degree in aeronautical engineering although I now work as a mechanical engineer.

It is far more structurally efficient to pressurize the entire fuselage tube instead of the just the passenger compartment with is roughly half the tube. The passenger compartment floor would have to be way way stronger to support a half tube pressurization. Think about all the tanks you see everyday. They are almost all nearly round. They certainly aren't easier to fabricate in that shape.

As further evidence, many flights have live animals on board that fly in the baggage compartment that would not arrive alive if that area were not climate controlled and pressurized.

Now...your evidence...the shaving cream. Hum...why did it fail? In short, I don't know. Maybe something near it push the button while loads shifted. Perhaps the valve was not very strong and it failed with just the ~8000ft cabin pressure. After all, these are made by the gazillions as cheaply as possible. I have flown countless times with shaving cream and deodorant and have never had a problem. Also, every time I go to Germany I bring back as much beer in my checked luggage as I can fit.

Happy travels.

Thanks for the help...the DH will appreciate it, now if we can get them on the ship? I'm going to 'pack' them in a soft drink box just in case...with two cans of coke in the handle area...for me and my 'drink of choice'...thanks!!:cool:

Archived