Taxi to Smiths Cove?

xop

We went to Grand Cayman on our first cruise, and wanted to go to Smiths Cove to snorkel (on our own) When we got off the tender there were plenty of taxis waiting but none seemed interested in taking us to Smiths Cove. What do you think the reason was? Was it not far enough to make it worth their time? I have always been curious as to why. We finally gave up and walked there and back because I didn't want to waste any more time trying to find a ride. :confused: Thanks

If I had to guess? (And this is just a guess...) I say it was probably because it's only a "short haul" and in the opposite direction as everyone else.

Usually, drivers want as many of the following as they can get each trip:

- a full van

- a longer trip

- passengers both ways

I'm not sure how many people were in your party, but a short trip with no likelihood of passengers for the return trip probably wouldn't be high on most driver's preferences list. And, it would probably be even less desirable if there were multiple ships in port, meaning more available passengers to take on the traditional and/or preferred trips...

Archived