New York Hotel bargains?

Gingee

Yeah, we'll probably never see those rates again! I've gone to AAA and put in probably 20 different dates and Le Parker Meridien never comes up.

There are, however, usually very decent rates at the Embassy Suites (Battery Park) and the Millenium Hilton by the WTC site. We're thinking about those and just spending lots of time in SoHo and the Village for a change. MIL has a time share in Midtown, so we spend 2-3 days (Holiday gift every year) there and then 2-3 days in a hotel.

Wow - $165/night for Le Parker Meridien is a great price! Usually I see it going for $250-300/night. I'd stay there in a heartbeat, if that price were available.

Hey GoinCruisin... Had to share the ad I came across for the Park Central in the passenger list for DH's grandparents' cruise to Bermuda in 1938: "You will be impressed with the large rooms, pleasant atmosphere, and the ideal location...All rooms equipped with radio - tub with shower - [and] circulating ice water." Reservations starting at $5.00 per day!

From the files I have, looks like DH's grandparents stayed at the Waldorf. (Both hotel and cruise were on the company - must have been nice!)

To the person who recommended AAA, I went to the web site and have booked our family for $125 at the Traveler's Inn for late May/early June. You can also get this same rate at Orbitz or one of those. It isn't a fancy hotel and you have to walk about seven blocks or seven minutes to get to Times Square but that is okay. I read reviews on tripadvisor.com and e-mailed some of the people. Good feedbacks. Hope it comes true. If you have AAA, you have two days in advance to cancel so if I find something beforehand, I can cancel.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Gingee, I was stranded in Buffalo for a few days and things have been hectic since I returned home. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Park Central. I have stayed in hotels that range from $179 to $450 in the city, this was in no way the nicest, but ranked up there with the ones I have paid $200 for.... WAY nicer than the Radisson on Lex, which was one of the cheaper ones I have had ($179). The service was great (locked myself out of the room one night and security was there within 3 minutes!). The rooms were very clean, considering it was a NYC hotel... the location was wonderful!!!! Considering I paid less than $110 a night, I would DEFINITELY stay there again! One of my associates stayed in a regular room, and said it was much smaller, but nice.... Like I said, they gave me a handicap room and it was incredibly spacious!!!!!! If you are looking for something inexpensive yet nice, in a good location (just a few quick blocks to times square, central park, etc.), I would definitely check with this hotel. I should have some pics up this weekend and will let you know when they are up.... good luck!

Side note.... this hotel is a few steps from the Trattoria Del Arte, WONDERFUL restaurant.... This was my second time eating there and it is a simply wonderful place to eat, as is Serafina right around the corner!

The past two summers I have used hotels from:

http://www.reservationpage.com/C00148/H00123/index.asp

It is called the Empire Hotel Group and they own several reasonably priced, smaller hotels in Manhatten. We stayed at the Belvedere and the Newton and both were fine. The Belvedere is a little fancier and offers a fabulous breakfast as part of their package. It also has a more convenient location to tourist activities. The Newton is less expensive and is located on a great subway line with a stop just steps from the hotel. I would recommend either, although they are not really near the port. But, a taxi will be glad to take you there.

Archived