Only Adults Dawn 2/10/05 Can't Be!

cruzinrn

on that sailing, it's the week BEFORE the presidents week vacation, so I can't imagine anyone would take off a full week before the vacation. I'm sure they'll all just wait a week and go when the kids are off of school...Don't your children have school that week?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=44399&highlight=DAWN

There is a thread in the roll call section for your sailing I hope the link above works. You may get a better response overthere. 10 Day sailings tend to have less kids, but I can't imagine no kids at all. People come from all over to cruise, Canada, Europe etc. I would not sail that ship during Presidents Week if they paid me. My kids never really enjoy it when the clubs are over crowded.

Have a wonderful Vacation.....

on that sailing, it's the week BEFORE the presidents week vacation, so I can't imagine anyone would take off a full week before the vacation. I'm sure they'll all just wait a week and go when the kids are off of school...Don't your children have school that week?

We live in a tourist area so we're already over-run with people in the summer (cause of the lakes) and every winter break (cause of the ski resorts).

I can't imagine paying those President's week rates to be crammed on a ship like a sardine!!

Our kids already have their assignments from their teachers and from US as well! When we take vacation, we make sure they have a topic to research and share with their classmates. It's one of the things my parents always did with their four kids, so I guess I'm just partial to vacationing while we can re-connect as a family.

Karen

What makes you think I'm worried about when you take your kids out of school? Frankly, I could care less, I'm not their teacher. Sheesh, I was merely trying to provide an explanation for why there won't be many kids on your sailing. Next time I won't try to be helpful, and for the record, I have taken my kids out of school for trips when necessary........

Almost the entire Northeast gets out for presidents week, it's a very popular (and expensive) vacation week. Whenever we cruise that week (which has been 3 times), we've found loads of kids, and even run into friends and neighbors. A few years ago on Celebrity there were 800 kids on that sailing, which we were thrilled about!

I am a school teacher and I'm taking my kids out of school. Hey! I even take myself out of school!!! I like to travel when it's less crowded so I avoid busy times. We'll be on Victory 02/13/05 with our 2 kids. I'm sure they'll have a great time even with less kids on board. You go ahead Cruzinrn and have a good trip with your family!

Monalisa,

That's quite an understanding school district you've got there, I mean, letting you take a whole week off before your school vacation. That's unheard of for teachers in our district, and grounds for dismissal. Your poor students.:(

Actually it's a policy I'm glad for, I appreciate a school district that puts it's students before the teacher's convenience and pocketbooks. I guess you've got tenure?

What makes you think I'm worried about when you take your kids out of school? Frankly, I could care less, I'm not their teacher. Sheesh, I was merely trying to provide an explanation for why there won't be many kids on your sailing. Next time I won't try to be helpful, and for the record, I have taken my kids out of school for trips when necessary........

Didn't mean to sound nasty but when you came across with the phrase " I can't imagine ", it sounded a bit derogatory and condescending to me. So of course I'm going to defend my actions. Honestly, I shouldn't have to feel that way, I'm a grown woman and a registered nurse with a good head on my shoulders, with 3 bright children which I adore. I really shouldn't have responded that way. You have a right to your own opinion.

You most certainly have plenty of information on your school district, you must have read the rules and abide well, what worthy tax payer wouldn't. And I'm sure you can recite by heart the names of all of the teachers who have taken vacations during the school year and have been dismissed, even the ones who have pretended to be sick. My family is full of teachers including the Northeast location and believe me many have taken sick days for vacation. So make sure you keep doing your homework to keep up on things. Heck even Montesourri schools for the prodigies go on field trips galore to increase the creative side of geniuses.

Oh, nevermind..your posts speak for themselves...:rolleyes:

Have a great time on your cruise, and again, no need to justify yourself. I'm so glad my children have dedicated teachers, and yes, I'm very aware of what goes on in my community. BTW, that's a good thing.:D

Please someone let me know there will school aged chilren on this sailing.

Someone, Anyone. .. . . . :confused: :confused:

There will be some. We were on the Dawn last year 10 day prior to Presidents week. It was the youngest group of the winter average age 55! The week before it was over 63 :eek:

If I remember right there were less then 300 kids onboard of all ages. The next week Presidents the number jumped to over 900 booked.

Learned all this from the Hotel Director at our CC meeting.

The rest of you need to lighten up and remember when you were kids. Just finished cleaning out my moms house and found the report cards for the family. We all missed between 7 and 14 days of school March/April in grade school. We were not sick but on vacation with a pile of school work. We turned out ok and still enjoy the the joy of travel.

Shoreguy,It must have been interesting to see those report cards now. That happened to my kids one month. On the way home from the cruise they got the stomach bug and ended up missing a few extra days.

As for the women of this thread we just thought this was a good way to get it going. It wasn't having a great response:D . Girlsnightout and I are even exchanging Carnival Glory info on another thread;) .

I'm glad to know we won't be stepping on 900 little buggers this time around. 300 sound like a better number, but I'm sure the majority of the 300 will be under school aged.

I'm taking my two oldest, 7 and 10 and they are very well behaved. They also enjoy spending time at kids crew to give mommy and daddy much needed R&R and time alone.

Looking forward to meeting you!:)

Jeeeeezzzzzzz.

Okay so some CC'ers are from other countries (who obviously don't get Presidents' Day) and some of kids get one day off (that's what it is in Los Angeles schools), even tho' I had some jobs when I didn't get that day off. We did take our girl out of school when she was a kinder during Valentine's Week because we got a really great deal on a cruise. And teacher did give me the week's homework packet to take with (yes, homework even in kindergarten nowadays! :mad: ).

Now the LAUSD has this whole campaign called "Count Me IN" to encourage daily attendance. Mainly because that's the way the district gets moolah from the state and because some areas have a truancy problem. Unfortunately, every once in a while, a parent could only get off work during the school year for a vacation, or even occasionally relatives drop in and want to see the little ones, etc. etc. etc. And sometimes a parent wants to take their kids to an amusement park for a treat during the week (not me, but I've known some parents to do this).

But let's face it, many times a child can learn a lot on a cruise (as oppose to a trip to Magic Mtn. or Disneyland).

My kids school district teachers didn’t have a contract at the beginning of the school year so I guessed when mid winter break would be and I was off by one week. We are cruising the week of Feb 6th and their mid winter break is the week of Feb 14th. Oldest one had finals this week and they both will be give work by their teachers to do during the mid winter break.

Wow! I'm impressed with that thread! Have you heard about "Vivre et laisser vivre!". I'm moving to another thread. This is getting way to far. Have fun with this. Ciao!

I've heard of live and let live, but as a parent AND an educator (Ha-HA!, the secret's out!), I think it's a disservice to one's students to take off the week before a school vacation and leave them in the hands of a sub (or, more likely), several subs. That's just too long. There are many teachers, administrators, professors, etc. in my family, and none of them has ever taken more than a day off unless they were (really) ill. I have 2 friends (teachers) getting married and they have planned their weddings so that they honeymoon during school vacation. One is even postponing her honeymoon because she won't take a week off of school, nor should she.

If a teacher can't schedule their vacation in the 9-12 weeks we typically have off per year, and leaves their students so they can vacation cheaply for a whole week, I'd call that irresponsible. Oh, and I certainly hope that teacher wouldn't have a problem with students who miss her class and need make-up work!

So, enjoy your time off, hopefully your students won't suffer too much with you gone. I know that if any teacher in our district did that, there would be hell to pay.....

Cruzinrn: We sail with our kids the end of Sept./first week of October. Just to give you an idea we have had between 22-53 (school age) kids on our sailings. I do not know if you will be around the 300 mark. But there will be some. My kids personally like the smaller numbers and all the attention they recieve. They always seem to make at least one good friend, and never seem to be bored. Just prepare them for a handful and if there is more then it is a bonus. When we did a 14 day Panama canal I told them to prepare for no other kids. So they were very excited when we checked in and they told us there were 22 on board.

I've always lived in the northeast and don't remember ever getting a full week for President's day. Girlsnightout, maybe you didn't mean to come across as judgemental, but it DID sound that way. Your "tone" is a bit offensive, but maybe it is just being read that way when you mean it another (which happens often on message boards). If you do mean it, I don't understand why you are so judgemental. I am taking my 6-year old out of school for 4 1/2 days. I wouldn't have done it without checking with the teacher first. She sees no problem with it and assured us that she would give us all the work (which my dd WILL do while on vacation) she misses.

Personally, I don't see a problem with taking kids out of school - especially if they get the work they will be missing. Although I am not a teacher, I can still teach my children things. I also think traveling is VERY good for kids. When I was 8 we went to Japan for a week (not during a school break) and I can say for sure that what I learned in that week was MUCH more than I could have learned in a classroom.

Of course, that is my opinion and I respect that others feel differently (like my father-in-law). I would hope that others would respect my opinions even if they disagree too.

My daughter is in third grade this year and a straight A student. We spoke to her teacher before we made any vacation plans. My Mom is 74 and not in the best of health and the week we booked our cruise is a compromise between Spring Break and 3 extra days off... If we go all the way to Florida to see Grandma, who might not be there next year (God Forbid) I won't worry about those few days.

Having said that, if my kids were struggling AT ALL I would never pull them out. I am a reading tutor and if these kids miss one day they just get farther and farther behind, which is heart-breaking.

My little guy has missed school this year due to illness, so he and my husband will join us a bit later. He also gets straight A's but it's just not a good example to miss that much school and then go on vacation...with his luck he'd pick up a virus on board and miss more school!!!

We are all grown-ups and make our own choices, but unless you won a trip and had to go during school, I would hope a teacher would not choose to miss more than a day away from my kids.

Just my thoughts, guys....

Archived