Record lows, two teens and 7 nights on the Dream. Jan 9th-16th trip report.

tammymacb

Does Carnival have an age frame for their supper clubs?

I don't believe that they have a written age but it is definitely not an experience to be had with a younger child. We took DD and her friend and they were 14 and 15 and it was DD's birthday. Have not seen anyone younger than that in there. It is definitely an adult experience.

Hi Tammy! Very nice review . . . I was so sad to see it end. Especially with the weather being less than friendly until we got to Costa Maya. I actually got to sit in the sun . . . :p

Sorry I didn't get to meet you at the get together after the safety talk. It was so cold and windy . . . I was only there for about fifteen minutes but did get to meet a lot of really nice people from our Roll Call.

Tammy (ladycaveat)

Maybe your itinerary was different :confused:.

Our is:

Saturday - embark @ Canaveral

Sunday - Nassau

Monday - Sea Day

Tuesday - St. Thomas

Wednesday - St. Maarten

Thursday - Sea Day

Friday - Sea Day

Saturday - disembark @ Canaveral

I am REALLY hoping that the first elegant night is NOT on Sunday ;)

Sunday was a sea day for the Western itenerary. We had

Sat- debark

Sun- Sea Day

Mon-Cozumel

Tues-Roatan

Wed-Belize

Thurs-Costa Maya

Fri-Sea Day

Sat-disembark

Hi Tammy! Very nice review . . . I was so sad to see it end. Especially with the weather being less than friendly until we got to Costa Maya. I actually got to sit in the sun . . . :p

Sorry I didn't get to meet you at the get together after the safety talk. It was so cold and windy . . . I was only there for about fifteen minutes but did get to meet a lot of really nice people from our Roll Call.

Tammy (ladycaveat)

Thanks- I'm bummed I missed, too. But it was just too dang cold and DH refused to go back outside...:rolleyes:

Tuesday we got up and got off the ship early. We had booked a private excursion with Victor Bodden tours. Earlier weather reports had said that we'd be 79 degrees and partly sunny. We ended up more like 70 with on and off rain. So, we had to redo plans that had originally included a glassbottom boat ride and a reef snorkle.

We ended up doing a trip to Victors house ( girls choice to see the monkeys ) and MUCH better ( in my book ) a trip over to Anthonys Cay. We didn't do anything at Anthony's Cay, but DH and I have considered it for a dive trip several times. We'd gotten mixed reviewes on the island itself ( it was the only port on this trip we hadn't been to before :D) so we had to opportunity to decide for ourselves if we want to return for a long on island dive trip. We also stopped at one locally owned shop where we bought a few items and then we were taken back to the port.

Mahogany Bay- I came back to the port slightly down ( I'll post why below ) and ended up going to Fat Tuesdays with my DH. I'm not a big drinker ( I bought exactly ONE cocktail on board ) but ended up drinking waaaaay too much at Fat Tuesdays, especially since I hadn't eaten all day. Then, Visa in hand went into the Pandora Store ( my only spending on the whole trip, but I did an excellent job there ) and back on the boat.

Then back on the boat for another very good dinner, more lousy cards, an in room movie and to bed early as we had to catch an early morning tender in Belize.

Any kind of discount in the Pandora store???????????:D

I didn't see any discount except tax free. I met someone on the ship, though, who bought a ring and said it was around $50. less than the Pandora store in the states.

They had a good selection, though two beads I would have bought were out of stock. It was one BUSY counter, though.

And, if you're going to tell me to lighten up, please feel free to skip this section. That's why I kept it separate, and I appreciate that everyone has different feelings about these things.

Anyway.......................

I love animals. Always have, especially dogs. I'm a big proponent of adoption ( and currently share my home with 4 retired racing greyhounds and one little pumpkin I brought home from the shelter when all I'd planned on doing was running in to make a donation :rolleyes:) and have volunteered in animal welfare.

I am an ER nurse, I feel like I give of myself everyday to people, and my dogs are what make me happy when I'm home...I honestly can't imagine my life without them.

On July 27th, I took my bestest girl ( I mean it, I love all my dogs, but Keena was MY girl and she just made my heart happy :)) went to the vet for a dental. She didn't wake up from the anesthesia. She'd only turned 6 two months before and it was completely unexpected and heartbreaking. I still miss her everyday.

So, what I didn't like about Roatan was the abundance of starving, mange suffering street dogs, who dodged in and out of traffic, and laid beside the road panting, with every rib clearly visable.

When we went to meet our Victor Bodden guide, I was greeted by a young puppy ( probably about 3 months old ) she was reddish gold and had the long face of a collie mix. She was slat thin, limping and her little tail was still wagging as she walked up shyly to me to say hello. I was very glad for my sunglasses as tears were rolling down my face. Leaving her there on the side of the road, was just unnatural for me and heartbreaking. If I had been on island for more than just the day, I would have taken her to the vet and gotten a health cert, and I would have flown her home. But I couldn't. So, that's what ruined Roatan for me. Many others will say "big deal, it's an animal and there are many other much larger tragedies in the world today". But, I for one, wish I'd known how bad it was and to expect it.

That's why I'm adding it to the review.

Awwwwwwwwwwww...........I agree with you 100%. I am so sorry for the loss of your dog. I know how difficult it is. We lost our one year old siamese to the nutro cat food recall in July and we thought we would lose another but he has pulled through. It is such a sad thing to see these animals starving for food and attention and I am sorry to hear how abundant it is in Roatan. I'm sure I'll feel the same when we are there.:(

I think you are being very kind with your review, especially since you have cruised before...this was our 6th cruise, we are a party of 7 and we were all really disappointed in every aspect of this cruise...except the food....good thing the food was good because there was nothing else to do but eat!!!

What a waste of money.....and the Disney Magic left right beside us, I wish I was back on that one instead.:(...live and learn!!!

Our Carnival days are over!!!:eek:

And, if you're going to tell me to lighten up, please feel free to skip this section. That's why I kept it separate, and I appreciate that everyone has different feelings about these things.

Anyway.......................

I love animals. Always have, especially dogs. I'm a big proponent of adoption ( and currently share my home with 4 retired racing greyhounds and one little pumpkin I brought home from the shelter when all I'd planned on doing was running in to make a donation :rolleyes:) and have volunteered in animal welfare.

I am an ER nurse, I feel like I give of myself everyday to people, and my dogs are what make me happy when I'm home...I honestly can't imagine my life without them.

On July 27th, I took my bestest girl ( I mean it, I love all my dogs, but Keena was MY girl and she just made my heart happy :)) went to the vet for a dental. She didn't wake up from the anesthesia. She'd only turned 6 two months before and it was completely unexpected and heartbreaking. I still miss her everyday.

So, what I didn't like about Roatan was the abundance of starving, mange suffering street dogs, who dodged in and out of traffic, and laid beside the road panting, with every rib clearly visable.

When we went to meet our Victor Bodden guide, I was greeted by a young puppy ( probably about 3 months old ) she was reddish gold and had the long face of a collie mix. She was slat thin, limping and her little tail was still wagging as she walked up shyly to me to say hello. I was very glad for my sunglasses as tears were rolling down my face. Leaving her there on the side of the road, was just unnatural for me and heartbreaking. If I had been on island for more than just the day, I would have taken her to the vet and gotten a health cert, and I would have flown her home. But I couldn't. So, that's what ruined Roatan for me. Many others will say "big deal, it's an animal and there are many other much larger tragedies in the world today". But, I for one, wish I'd known how bad it was and to expect it.

That's why I'm adding it to the review.

Oh my Heaven's Tammy . . . that is so sad. I never ventured outside the shopping area in Roatan but I did see a dog (the only one on the entire cruise) darting in and out of the bushes along that LONG walk from the ship to the shopping area. I called out to "him" but he just ran away. Did you see the table in Belize selling things where a portion of the proceeds went to their animal rescue league? I bought a tee shirt there and also gave a little donation.

From the same weather report that said our temps would be 79 in Roatan, I held out hope till the end about Belize. Again, it was supposed to be high 70s to low 80s and I'm figuring that at this point it HAS to get better. Right? Not so much.

We got up, dressed and hurried to the Burgandy lounge for tender tickets. I'd booked the four of us on the Stingray Alley, coral reef snorkle through Coral Breezes tours. Well, we got outside and it was freeeeezing. I mean, cold, windy and miserable. We took the tender in hoping it would warm up, but no dice. Folks were walking around in winter parkas. I ended up losing my deposit and cancelling the snorkle trip. This was the only time my daughter complained on the whole trip. She'd really been looking forward to the snorkle trip and was very disappointed.

I tried to find something else to do, to salvage the day. We didn't. I refused the zoo. We'd cave tubed before and again I knew we'd FREEZE. I had no interest in tooling around the city and zip lining was way out. ( I'm curious to know if they actually allow ziplining in those blasting winds ) Around 10, we simply reboarded the tender and back to the ship we went. It really was a disappointing morning.

By the way Tammy . . . I meant to say how sorry I am for the loss of your "puppy." I've had dogs all my life . . . right now Tiki (11 year old Westie) has my heart (such a spoiled little girl . . . love her to death). Twelve years ago I lost Niki (another Westie) to mammory cancer when she was only seven. Broke my heart.

Oh my Heaven's Tammy . . . that is so sad. I never ventured outside the shopping area in Roatan but I did see a dog (the only one on the entire cruise) darting in and out of the bushes along that LONG walk from the ship to the shopping area. I called out to "him" but he just ran away. Did you see the table in Belize selling things where a portion of the proceeds went to their animal rescue league? I bought a tee shirt there and also gave a little donation.

I wish I had. I would have made a donation. :(

When I came home, I googled animal rescue in Roatan. I'm sure that little dog lives right in that area, and if I could send money to sponsor her and get her into a safe place, I'd happily sponsor her for life. Unfortunately, I haven't found the right services.

Did you see the table in Belize selling things where a portion of the proceeds went to their animal rescue league? I bought a tee shirt there and also gave a little donation.

Do you remember where this table was set up? We're taking an excursion in Belize but hopefully, we'll have some time to look for it.

Tammy...I'm sure I'll find Roatan a little sad too, as our pups are spoiled rotten. I'm so sorry about your Keena.

Archived