Carnival Ecstasy

Tawni&Joe

We have booked a cruise on the Ecstasy that leaves in 15 days. I am so unsure what to do in Port. The Ports are Progreso and Cozumel. The question is ...Do we take one of the excursions by Carnival? If so, then which one is the best to take? If not, then what is a popular thing to do in both ports. Our interests are to do some sightseeing, maybe go to a beach and a little shopping.

Thank you for your help in advance!!!

I would go to the ports of call and see what interests you. Progresso has a $2 bus around the city if you want to see the city. Its the longest pier in the world, over 3 miles long, so there is a free bus into the port. Internet is only $1 at the internet cafe if you want to email someone and say Hi, Im in Progresso. Its not built up like Cozumel.

Cozumel you will have more choices than you can shake a stick at.

We are on the same cruise that you are on. It will be my third time on the Ecstasy. We just hang on our own in Cozumel, and go to Paradise Beach. We might go to the Reef Club all-inclusive in Progresso. We have a young son, so ruins are difficult.

We are on the Ecstasy the week before you!

Planning on taking the kids (DS 6, DD 12) to Paradise Beach in Cozumel. When the mrs. & I were in Coz a few years ago we spent the day at Nachi Cocom, very beautiful and relaxing day at an all inclusive. Around $40 pp and that includes your food and alcoholic beverages and they only allow a limited amount of ppl each day. There are plenty of threads/reviews on it over on the Port of Call boards. I'd recommend it if you are looking for a relaxing, mostly adults only day at the beach.

As for Progresso, this will be our first trip there. Like a pp stated it is not as built up as Cozumel. I have often heard it described as a more authentic look at Mexico. We are planning to take the city bus in to Merida where we will spend the morning visiting the local markets and maybe a restaurant (or two ;):D). Hoping to find one of those "local's" type of places! I think we'll just spend a few hours enjoying the town and it's people before we head back and spend a few hours at the beach where i'm hoping for a nice massage on the beach. I have a feeling there will be some beer and fish tacos involved as well!

I have been on the Ecstasy two times with my third coming up in May.

In Cozumel, we went to Playa Mia through Carnival and had a really good time but it was a bit pricey. Last year we went to another beach club but I can't remember the name of it. The drinks and food were good as was the snorkeling (at an extra cost), but the beach was really rocky so we decided not to book that again this time. This year we will be going to Nachi Cocom and have read great reviews about it on the Port of Call boards.

In Progresso we went to the Reef Club but booked it through the ship so again, it was really pricey! We weren't originally planning to do this but my in-law's paid for us to join them and we had a great time! The food was decent (not fabulous) but the drinks were good and the beach was beautiful. If you want to do a beach in Progresso I would recommend it but probably not through the ship.

This time in Progresso we are planning to do one of the ruins. Probably either Uxmal or Dzibilchaltun. We know who we want to use and will just book it when we get off the ship. I have read that Uxmal is more impressive but Dz is closer so I think it will depend on our mood at that time.

You should definitely head to the Ports of Call boards and look through the posts for more ideas!

Archived