Beware there is no Solarcaine in the gift shops!

jones391

Most people do not burn in 10 minutes. They make sunscreeen with 80+, and it works very well. As an avid beach goer, I always bring my 80 with me.

Also, it's important to moisturize with a vitamin a-c-e lotion the night before as well as post-sun. Pre-loading your skin with antioxidants will help avoid the burn, as will taking a good antioxidant supplement before and after exposure.

Any SPF over 30 is just a marketing tool. The trick is to find a broad-spectrum 15 (which is finally available OTC in the States) and reapply it regularly. Umbrel 30, or it's generic equivalent, is the best, as per my dermatologist.

And while *you* might not burn in 10 minutes, I'm melanin-challenged. I'm in the sunscreen goes on half and hour before going in the sun, wear a rashguard and a wide brimmed hat, and put on more sunscreen camp. I like the antioxident tip though. ;)

Any SPF over 30 is just a marketing tool. The trick is to find a broad-spectrum 15 (which is finally available OTC in the States) and reapply it regularly. Umbrel 30, or it's generic equivalent, is the best, as per my dermatologist.

This is true and any good dermatologist will tell you this.........

The key is keep applying.......

I've finally invested in a few rash guards to wear snorkeling in hopes of preventing it. Will test them out in Hawaii next month. :D

Don't forget to lather up the backs of your legs! And if you're wearing shorts, make sure you go sufficiently up the leg to avoid sunburns there. Been there, done that, had a hard time sitting for a while.

For those of us who are really pale it's almost impossible to avoid unless we stay completely indoors. I can't even think about lounging by the pool - even with sunblock. I've burned a few times snorkeling with 60spf waterproof sunblock that I applied before going in the sun then re-applied every hour afterward. It wasn't a horrible burn but I did still burn some. Same thing at the beach with an umbrella in Cozumel - I still burned a little even with all the sunblock!

I've finally invested in a few rash guards to wear snorkeling in hopes of preventing it. Will test them out in Hawaii next month. :D

I sometimes use a very thin tee shirt because your lower arms are much tougher than your shoulders and back. Along with sunscreen, this works pretty well

Archived