looks like it will be Uniworld "the Legendary Rhine"...

bethaniesmom

unless anyone can tell me why this would be a bad choice, i think i have finally decided on this trip as our first river cruise, in September....looks like the son in Frankfurt could meet up with us in either Basel or Amsterdam for a few days before or after the trip!

we have done four caribbean trips on three of the largest ships out there...so this is really going to be a change....and the first time in 30 years without any kids!

what i haven't seen alot about is the tipping policies and I am guessing that you have a card that you charge your bar bill too and settle at the end of the trip just like on other cruises. will probably have many more questions as the time gets closer, will probably book this one in the next two weeks after my husband gets a chance to look and see if he can find anything he likes better! we are a little short on time because we have already had one cruise this year (jan 2-9 on Carnival Conquest), and doing this one over Labor Day weekend will pretty much use up my vacation time for the year....I like that it starts on a friday instead of sunday!

Beverly

Hi Beverly - Have you checked out Vantage's Amsterdam to Hungary river cruise. Wife and I are booked on the August 1st departure. You have to look at all offerings and compare "apples to apples". We wanted to book with Grand Circle but their 2005 cruise did not stop in Rudesheim and that is one stop we love to visit. We have friends that went on a Uniworld river cruise and loved it. Before you book check them both out....but DO NOT WAIT too long as I know the Vantage one sells out quickly, as I guess the Uniworld does also. Willard

We just returned from a one-week cruise on the Danube going to Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest, and back to Vienna. It was just wonderful. We, too, had only been on large cruise ships -- the Millenium, a Royal Caribbean, and other Celebrity cruises. This one was really just as nice in a different way.

The food was absolutely wonderful. We had a German chef, and every meal was great. We had a great cruise coordinator, and everything was just great. We are going to do it again, I'm sure. Maybe in Russia next time.

Before I went, I figured it would be all retirees and such, but there were quite a few people under 40! There were two couples from England, one from Malta, and 40 from Puerto Rico! The Puerto Ricans taught us all to dance salsa.

Anyway, it was just great.

Hi Beverly - Have you checked out Vantage's Amsterdam to Hungary river cruise. Wife and I are booked on the August 1st departure. You have to look at all offerings and compare "apples to apples". We wanted to book with Grand Circle but their 2005 cruise did not stop in Rudesheim and that is one stop we love to visit. We have friends that went on a Uniworld river cruise and loved it. Before you book check them both out....but DO NOT WAIT too long as I know the Vantage one sells out quickly, as I guess the Uniworld does also. Willard

I will be looking up the info on this cruise, sounds good. Did you book with a local TA or online?

Hi BBQ Jeanette - We booked the Vantage Holland to Hungary river cruise right with Vantage. Received the brochures and checked out other companys "apples to apples" and thought they had the best cruise for the money. Booked a cabin in the bottom of the boat back in August, rather spend the extra money on some fine German wines. People at Vantage very helpful and professional. Got our cabin number same day we booked. Have been receiving info from them since. Also can go on their web site and pull up our account. They have our airlines and seat assignments on that web account. Come and join us, August 1st departure from Tampa to Atlanta then on to Amsterdam. Board the boat on August 2nd. Look at their web site at http://www.vantagetravel.com. The Holland to Hungary tour is one of their sellouts every year. We are booked on the Odyssey. Willard

Beverly,

This Uniworld trip is a great choice. We did a Uniworld Christmas Market cruise in December and it was great. We are booked on a Russia cruise with Uniworld this summer. Our next cruise will probably be this one. They improved it by adding

cities that used to be an optional extension. Vantage seems OK but I like to work with my travel agent who watches after me on flights, can solve problems with the tour company, etc. With Vantage you have to work with them. Grand Circle is like Vantage, but the problem with them is that many excursions are optional (added price) whereas they are included with Uniworld. Another thing I like about Uniworld is that all rooms have hotel beds-no day beds made up into a bed at night. All rooms are the same on all decks, except for the size of the window, so go for the cheapest.

Compare carefully. But you won't go wrong with Uniworld.

thanks for all your comments and suggestions.....looks like a definite now....uniworld lgendary rhine....only thing different is we will be doing the reverse tour (because of our vacation schedule) so we lose the two days together in amsterdam and have one free day at both ends of the tour...but that's okay, our son can meet us at one end, go back to work for a week and then meet us at the other end...will probably also extend by a day, at least, at the end, so that will work out...

we picked uniworld because the excursions are included and because the beds are not made up into a sitting area in the day time...only questions right now, are, can you bring liquor or wine on board, that was always a question people had on ocean cruises, and my guess would be that we would rather sample the local wines on this trip, but still thought i should ask....

and, are visitors allowed on board when we are in port? just thinking of all the possibilities...

and last question...any preferences on which rooms to take....we are thinking category 2 on the Danube deck, but how are these rooms any different from category 3?

oh, i lied, one more question....we are planning on air arrangements thru uniworld....has anyone made their own arrangements...i worry that getting to and from the ship might be a hassle if i have to do it on my own (I don't like surprises)....

again, thanks for all the help!!!!!

Beverly

we did the amsterdam to vienna trip on uniworld last october -- see our brief review elsewhere -- we loved it. the bottom 2 decks have smaller windows at water level; go for the danube deck with a bigger window and higher up. we had uniworld do our air; they meet you and get you to and from the ship. your ship is not anywhere long enough to have visitors. sometime they drop you off, the ship sails and you meet it downriver via bus. ours was a fabulous trip and we don't have a single complaint.

best wishes, captain george & cecelia

Have Uniworld do your air so they are responsible for getting you to the boat. On our Chrismas Cruise, the boat was docked in Koblenz. We arrived in Frankfort. It would have cost us $100-200 for a taxi. Uniworld offers you to customize your air for a $50 sucharge, which we do for our own satisfaction. As far as the room, we always get the cheapest since all are the same. On our last cruise we were upgraded to the Danube deck, a $700 value. Yes, the window was bigger but most of the time you will be on deck or in the lounge to see the sights as you cruise. The rivers are so narrow that you will not see much out that window, and to me, $700 can buy a lot more value.

You can bring on the boat all the wine you want, but they will charge you a corkerage fee in the dining room.

I think you will have a wonderful time.

We took our first River Cruise using Viking River Cruises last August . We went from Vienna to Amsterdam. Like so many of the board members, we previously had cruised extensively on medium size cruise ships 350 to 1100 passengers. We loved the size of the Spirit. We loved the big windows because we were always afraid we would miss something if we were in our cabin or even at night.

Most of the cruisers on the Viking River Spirit were first time river cruisers and without exception, they were very pleased and gave the trip very high marks. The food was excellent, the service and the tour directors were first class.

From reading the boards and talking with many travelers, I think all of the lines offer a good product. We found August to be good weather. It was a little warm in Vienna until a short rain cooled it off.

We liked it so much we are going to China with Viking River Cruises in May.

Enjoy!

Pat

Archived