5.8 Earthquake in Cayman Islands

CALMOM

I was curious too if there was any word from anybody on ships going into grand cayman this morning if people felt the rumbling! They said it was south of grand cayman in Boddentown where it was felt.I know usually ships dock in Georgetown . I know my nerves would be frayed if any thing it shook people up !

My parents are there now, in the Rum Point area...here's the email I got this morning:

"Felt the shudder from this one 2 trembles about 3 seconds apart

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/shakemap/ "

There's also a brief mention on one of the online newspapers:

http://www.caymannetnews.com/breaknews-19980--1-1---.html

No damage or injuries reported.

Is this typical? I don't remember so many large earthquakes like these in the East, or Caribbean!

There are something like 291 earthquakes a year worldwide, and yes often in the Caribbean. They just don't get reported on. The only reason you are hearing about this one is that 5.8 (not that large of a quake by the way) is more than a tiny one, and it's so close to the Haiti disaster. If it weren't for Haiti you would never have heard about this one.

The idiotic news agencies and 24 hour news channells need something to blather on about and something to report. Just like they overblew/are overblowing the whole swine flu scare, this is just more drivel for their blather. It's why I rarely tune in to any of them any longer.

I slept right through our quake today and didn't find out about it until this afternoon.

There was an isolated report of a sinkhole opening at an apartment complex. Photos show a water pipe was broken when this sinkhole opened up. Just a guess but it looks like maybe there had been an ongoing water leak from that pipe which had already eroded the area underground.

There should be no impact on any locations of interest for our cruise ship visitors.

What is it with all of these Earthquakes?

Over the past week we have seen a series of earthquakes near and around the boundary of the Caribbean tectonic plate.

The largest was obviously in Haiti. At least eleven aftershocks of magnituse 5.0 or greater have occurred in the same area in the past week.

There have been other quakes stronger than 5.0 around the Caribbean plate boundary since then including in Venezuela, Guatemala, and now Cayman.

It is entirely normal to have quakes like this happening in various areas around a tectonic plate once there is a major release of energy in one area.

Archived