Handicapped cabin on Ruby Princess

cal101

Can anyone tell me anything about the HC cabins on the Ruby. Are they a good size, how big is the balcony, etc. We have booked B303 forward on starboard side. We will have a portable oxygen concentrator (sequal), mobility scooter and a wheelchair with us.

Any information would be appreciated.

We were in R303 on Ruby in Dec. The room was larger than standard cabin, with roomy bathroom. (The sink area was a little awkward, but OK). We had only a manual wheelchair. Access to the balcony was good -- a little ramp deployed when door was opened. Balcony had easier access than on some other Princess ships, because the ramp didn't take up extra room, and was less steep. We didn't take any pictures, but I have seen some elsewhere on this forum. The location of room was good for us, because it was close to elevator/stair area. No need to travel down narrow hallways (unless we forgot and came up the wrong elevator). You should have plenty of room.

Robseat thank you so much for your help! Can you tell me how the room was set up (ie queen bed, sofa or table and chairs, desk)? Also, how many electrical outlets are there 1 or 2?

We had ours set up as queen bed, but I think it can also be twins. There was a desk, a small side table and chair. No sofa. In the past we have had steward remove extra furniture (like the little table and chair) but did not need to in this room. I THINK there was only one outlet, but not sure because we didn't need to plug anything in. The bed was perfect height for easy transfer into wheelchair.

Here is a link to pictures that show the identical room (except that it was "flipped" -- bed on right as you enter, closet/desk on left.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1093589&highlight=ruby

Here is some info and pictures of a balcony HC for you.

This question is for Ziggy - how are the handicap cabins? They are Great!

Are the doorways wide enough for scooters? Yes! Is the bathroom arranged to where when you shower the whole room doesn't get wet? Yes! Is there enough room in a balcony handicapp to store a scooter without tripping over it? Yes! Do they have a ramp to and from the balcony? Yes! How high off the floor is the safe? It was between my waist & chest high, see photo! Is there a seat in the shower and is there a handheld shower head? Yes! Is there ample outlets to recharge a scooter battery at night as well as utilizing a CPAP at the same time? There is one outlet with 2 plugs located on the wall by the desk. I would suggest bringing an extension cord. Are all of the public areas accessible to someone who is scooter, power chair, or wheelchair bound? Yes!

Since you did cruise in a handicapp cabin because of Jim's mobility problems, your answers will be greatly appreciated by all of us who are or have partners with handicaps. And I will be happy to post your answers on the handicap boards.

Thank you for all the answers as they could enfluence the cruise a family might take who have a disabled member.

See photos below:

09758.jpg

09750.jpg

09749.jpg

09754.jpg

09776.jpg

09744.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As a wheelchair user, for only the second time in our cruising history,(14 cruises mostly with Princess, but a couple with P&O and Fred Olsen, (Fred Olsen definitely not to be recommended for the disabled) we have been allocated a disabled cabin on the Ruby Princess later in the year so it was really interesting to see the photos of the handicapped cabin attached to one of the posts in this section. It will be really great to have room to manoeuvre the wheelchair as well as having a wet room style bathroom, which is such a help for people with disabilities. The only negative I can see from the photograph is that the storage space has been compromised (as was the case on the only other occasion we had a disabled cabin on P&O Arcadia). On all previous Princess ships we've been on, there was a long hanging rail opposite the bathroom which provided a good amount of hanging space but it would appear from the photo that the disabled cabin has one large wardrobe and the usual cupboard containing the safe and shelves which gives a lot less storage space than the rail opposite the bathroom. What a pity they've spoilt the benefits by reducing storage. It may come as a surprise, but disabled people do like to take a good choice of clothing with them just as able bodied people do. That said, the lack of storage space might have a positive benefit in deterring able bodied people from taking handicapped cabins!!!! And apart from having to reduce my wardrobe, I am sure we'll really appreciate our disabled cabin. Just thought these comments might be of interest.

Hi Carol,

We are in R304 Deck 14 Riviera Deck.

We are really looking forward to getting away from the cold and the snow. We are heading out on March 3 taking the auto train and visiting various friends and relatives in Florida both prior to and after the cruise.

What cabin do you have?

Maggie

Hi Carol,

I just took a look at the Deck Plans and you are right. Same cabins just different decks and sides.

BTW, there is another couple sailing on the Ruby on the 20th who posted on this Board asking about pool lifts. My TA confirmed with Princess that there is and the woman posting also confirmed with Princess that there are lifts. Others posted replys that the lifts never work and the crew does not know how to use them.

My husband can't use the pool due to medical restrictions. Will you be using the pool? We can make inquiries when we are on board.

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

My DH is able to walk short distances. He has COPD, has only 60% of his lung capacity and is on oxygen 24/7 which is the reason he will be using a scooter and wheelchair. The doctor allows him to do exercise in the pool without the oxygen for short periods of time, so yes we will be using the pool but do not need a lift.

We live in SC and will be driving to Fort Lauderdale taking 2 days to make the trip.

Carol

Archived