Captain's Reception - Freedom

softball13

Yes, this is fleetwide now. There are 3 different parties offered (possibly 4 if they're promoting Carnival like they did on our cruise in November).

Party 1: Captain's Reception - on the first formal night on the Promenade Deck (5). All drinks were $1 off and there was a band playing on the promenade. We LOVED the style of this new party...met a whole bunch of our fellow cruisers and it had a fun vibe.

Party 2: Past Guest Party - If you're a past guest, held in the theater with free drinks and hors d'ouevres. You need to have an invitation.

Party 3: Farewell Party - On the last night in the aft lounge on Deck 5 from 5-6 pm. Free drinks and the 'house' band with singers.

Potential Party 4: Carnival Marketing - on the first evening, invitation only. Free drinks and they tell you all about Carnival and the upcoming Carnival ships, special itineraries, future cruise certificates, etc. Not sure who all gets invited...but we did.

Definitely fleetwide change.

I believe Party #2 is only offered on 7 night cruises (or longer). If I am wrong, I know someone will correct me. I just know that on Inspiration 4 night, neither time did I get an invite.

Party #3 was alot of fun on Inspiration. Great band, free drinks, dancing on stage (if you wanted). Much better than the captain's party on previous cruises where it always felt like the officers were going through the motions.

That is indeed the case. Returned from 6 night western on Freedom last week. Captain's reception is first formal night with $1 off drinks. Past guest reception was held later in the cruise with free drinks. Also the last sea day they had free drinks "as a thank you" at 5 pm in all the deck 5 aft bars. I found it in the capers, be sure to check for it.

Sorry that it disapointed you like that, there was a lot of discussion on this when it happened quite a few months back. As said though, it is actually a net gain if you look at it. The Captain's reception now has $1 off any drinks you order (and you can get anything, not just the limited selection of free ones they offered before), and they have added the going away party where there are free drinks. So you still have a free drinks party if you attend it (the going away party) and now you also have a $1 off party ... more savings.

Archived