VOS Compass is Here! Roatan/Costa Maya/Cozumel

I just finished reading through the compasses you posted and am so grateful. One question some of us from our meet and mingle had, were you required to get a ticket for the ice show? According to the compasses yes, but I have heard others say no. Just wondering what the current answer is since you just returned?

I was on the same cruise with SuzyQ and I can tell you that you will need the ticket for the ice show. We went during the week and thought that getting there 20 minutes ahead of time would be ample time to get a seat... maybe not a good one, but get a seat. When we got there, the only seats we could get for the 4 of us were at the tables that top. The two ladies could see most of the rink from chairs on the rail, but I pretty much had to watch from the TV monitor. This was for the later show on Wednesday. I would advise getting there REAL early with a ticket if you want to see. The Wed show did not distribute all tickets immediately, but the Saturday shows (last day at sea) gave all the tickets out and I heard people were on a waiting list and had to go an just hope someone did not show up.

In Roatan we went on a Victor Bodden private tour (just google Victor Bodden, no deposit required, just make a reservation...he has lots of options from boat snorkling to zip lining) This was our second time to use him...You get an imformative polite driver for the entire day to take you where ever you want to go. The cost is 25pp for 3 to 4 people or $40pp for just two. We always book a 4 person tour and find someone to join us. We did the scenic drive...with stops for photo opps. Then went to Victor Boddens house to play with the monkeys and see parrots and other animals (5pp extra) You feed the monkeys peanuts and they jump on your shoulders as you feed them and pet them...really cool...We headed out to Foster's beach (5pp extra) They have a nice beach and a bar and restaurant...just to the right on the beach at Fosters is Bite on the Beach...a really nice seafood restaurant. Got a wonderful lobster with steamed veggies and rice for $17.00. The driver then took us to some shops off the beaten path for souvenir shopping...Prices are really good in Roatan....just wait to buy conch shells from kid on the beach and at the photo opps...they are the large ones for usually $5.00 each.

Costa Maya - Husband went on a ruins tour using Island Choice. It was much cheaper than the ship tour and was very informative ....I hopped the bus for three dollars and went into town. There is a really nice beach...lots of restaurants and shops....I had a great garlic grilled fish plate for $7.00 at the Green Iguana...Jose is a wonderful waiter there. Didn't really stop at the plaza right off the pier...was told the prices were much more than Roatan.

Cozumel - Made reservations at Nachi Cochum...49pp for a wonderful three course meal and all you can drink with waiters waiting on you hand and food...on a beautiful beach with shady palapas or you can move your chairs in the sun....They limit the reservations to only 100 people so it is not crowded...It is a $15 cab ride for up to 4 persons each way....This beach has lots of coral if you want to collect it.... They also offer massages, banana boat rides and boat snorkle tours for an additional cost.....Will never go another place in Cozumel.

Will be back tommorow if you have more questions!:D

I can add a little to this. If you want Victor Bodden at Roatan, don't wait until the last ten days like I did. If you happen to be there when there are 4 or 5 ships at the Island on the same day, you may find he has no availability like I did. I emailed with him 10 days or so prior to Jan 10 and he was 100% booked. I ended up going with Rony's Tours and it worked out really well. We had a good driver, made it to Half Moon Bay and snorkeled. Did a little sight seeing on the return. Rony actually dropped by to check on us at one point to make sure everything was to our liking. I thought he was a good alternative to Bodden.

As to Costa Maya, we did a Ruins Tour with Native Choice (not sure if Suzy meant Island Choice for sure). They are also known as Ivan and Davids. This was one of the best excursions I have ever done. We did the Chacchoben tour and for 30% less costs I think we had a much better tour than those done through the ship. They are native Mayans and Ivan actually grew up near the Chacchoben site where his father was involved with some of the work done there. You definitely cannot go wrong with them. If Island Choice was another tour company I am sure SuzyQ's recommendation would be most reliable.

While we did not notice much problem (probably because they had cooler temps) you should have bug spray with you for both Roatan and Costa Maya. We used it out of an abundance of caution after reading what others had experienced.

As to Costa Maya, we did a Ruins Tour with Native Choice (not sure if Suzy meant Island Choice for sure). They are also known as Ivan and Davids. This was one of the best excursions I have ever done. We did the Chacchoben tour and for 30% less costs I think we had a much better tour than those done through the ship. They are native Mayans and Ivan actually grew up near the Chacchoben site where his father was involved with some of the work done there. You definitely cannot go wrong with them. If Island Choice was another tour company I am sure SuzyQ's recommendation would be most reliable.

It was NATIVE CHOICE....my husband is a history buff and the guides are top notch...others on the ship took the ship tour to the same place and ended up following the Native Choice guides...

Thanks for jumping in and correcting me Frank...don't want to steer these good folks wrong...

Does anyone have a copy of the wine menu from the Dining room? Trying to compare prices with the wine packages.

Thanks,

Barbara

Sailing on VOS on 2/28/10

This would be a question for newly returning guests. On our Jan. 10 sailing a couple at our dining table was on the second week of their cruise. They indicated that the wine lists would be changing in the next couple of weeks, and that they were out of most of the really good wines on the current list. They kept ordering bottles of wine that they knew they were out of just to yank RC's chain....it was amusing at first, but they wouldn't give it up, and it became really annoying of how they tried to make them jump through hoops.

I would suggest going on the threads of this week's or next week's departures, if a copy is not available to take, ask someone to take a photo of the list ...I meant to do that with the dining room menus....but all good intentions go astray...just tried to pay it forward with the compasses....

It was NATIVE CHOICE....my husband is a history buff and the guides are top notch...others on the ship took the ship tour to the same place and ended up following the Native Choice guides...

Thanks for jumping in and correcting me Frank...don't want to steer these good folks wrong...

Were we on the same tour? We had Lewis and Joel (and Carlos was our driver) -- maybe the names are written differently in Spanish?? It was the tour of Chacchoben. We may have met at the M&M but sometimes I am terrible with names. One thing that impressed me was how David treated me at check in. After working our way past the gate and finding them (which was no problem), I discovered I had left my confirmation on the ship. For some reason he could not locate me on the list (and I had prepaid in full). He asked for my email address indicated he remembered it (I did them the week before arriving & exchanged a couple of emails with them). Without any further discussion he said no problem and we were off. I read cases where they reimbursed customers in full at the very last minute because of emergencies -- what a great way to do business and what an incredible product. I will go back to Costa Maya again just to take another one of their excursions.

Were we on the same tour? We had Lewis and Joel (and Carlos was our driver) -- maybe the names are written differently in Spanish?? It was the tour of Chacchoben. We may have met at the M&M but sometimes I am terrible with names. One thing that impressed me was how David treated me at check in. After working our way past the gate and finding them (which was no problem), I discovered I had left my confirmation on the ship. For some reason he could not locate me on the list (and I had prepaid in full). He asked for my email address indicated he remembered it (I did them the week before arriving & exchanged a couple of emails with them). Without any further discussion he said no problem and we were off. I read cases where they reimbursed customers in full at the very last minute because of emergencies -- what a great way to do business and what an incredible product. I will go back to Costa Maya again just to take another one of their excursions.

My husband had on the bright orange Denver Broncos shirt bouncing around like a big kid, you couldn't have missed him if you were on the same tour....You should post a testimonial on the Native Choice website. I booked months in advance and they had to change the meeting area in the last couple of weeks before. It sounds like the ships are trying to muscle out the locals...which is a shame because you are getting so much more for your money (and helping the local economy) by booking with Native Choice.

My husband had on the bright orange Denver Broncos shirt bouncing around like a big kid, you couldn't have missed him if you were on the same tour....You should post a testimonial on the Native Choice website. I booked months in advance and they had to change the meeting area in the last couple of weeks before. It sounds like the ships are trying to muscle out the locals...which is a shame because you are getting so much more for your money (and helping the local economy) by booking with Native Choice.

I do remember the Broncos shirt. I think you may be in some of my pics I will have to check. Thanks for the reminder to post on the NC web site -- I will definitely do that.

Is this him?

CIMG1474.jpg

The ruins tour with David and Ivan in Costa Maya is TOP NOTCH! The staff are all natives, and very informative, and the ruins are absolutely amazing. If you love ruins and/or have ever wanted to take a ruins tour, you will NOT be disappointed!

We went a few years ago and will go back once our kids are old enough.

For now we plan to take this day a little more leisurely and soak up the town's ambiance :)

See you all on board on Sunday!

If you are in an elevator where a precocious 3 year old asks "is it time to get off?" everytime the elevator dings, that will be us :)

I do remember the Broncos shirt. I think you may be in some of my pics I will have to check. Thanks for the reminder to post on the NC web site -- I will definitely do that.

Is this him?

COOL BEANS! Yes, that's my boo! Thanks Frank....he brought back lots of pictures, but none with him in them. I already nabbed it...Thanks for leaving it at high resolution, it will print out great!

We've already booked Jan. 9, 2011 on board, except Costa Maya is being replaced by Belize. I really would have liked to gone back to Costa Maya.

Also, when booking onboard you are supposed to get a 2 stateroom upgrade and onboard credit up to $300 depending on how many days the cruise is. I am now being told the stateroom upgrade is not available for my sailing. I emailed and faxed them the handout advertising the stateroom upgrade clearly listing my sailing. This was late afternoon yesterday, still waiting for a response....:rolleyes:

SuzyQ, the poll results are in, and you have a big lead for Poster of the Year. We all know how much we like to see this kind of info prior to the cruise and you really came through.

Thank you for your kind words Frank....but you helped too...I had no info on the ice show and you came through for that poster....and helped me direct folks to the best Mayan tour you can go on with Native Choice in Costa Maya....as well supplying an excellent alternative to Victor Bodden tours in Roatan.

I was looking at ruins in Belize for next years trip and it looks like you are in for 2 1/2 or three hour trip each way....You can't do better with the hour drive at Costa Maya...especially with the informative guides :D

Suzy... thanks for the info.... have read and disected the Cruise Compasses... used up 6 different colored hilighters and cut it up and pasted it back together ten times.... I now know that I will need to be on the Voyager for 3 weeks to get everything done that I want to do in seven days.... You are the BEST>>> I would vote for you to be the top dog poster of the year!!!!!!!!!:D

Archived