Finally got decent airfare!!

msweezie99

AFter months of searching, every day, (I've been holding out) finally got a return trip for my cruise, Feb 19th to 24th Boston to Fort Lauderdale. I only bought the return trip from Fll to Boston for $69 pp, leaves FLL at 11:30 AM, with only an hour and a half layover till Boston.

The flight leaves FLL at 11:30 AM, our ship arrives in FLL at 8:30 AM, I believe I should have time.....what do u all think? Port Everglades is really close to the airport isnt it???? Please make me feel comfortable with my decision!!??!!

Thanks

On our two cruises out of Fort Lauderdale we were at the airport ($10 taxi), through the ticket counter line, had bags checked and boarding passes in hand by 10:15 easily. They were both the week of Thanksgiving - flying home the weekend after Thanksiging, the busiest travel weekend of the year (plus being in a cruise ship town!). Of course we had no problems with Customs on the ship and our luggage was waiting for us when arriving downstairs.:)

Security line went quick. Just FYI: FLL is one of those airports where they "recommend" you take off your shoes even if your shoes work in every other airport just fine. I kept mine on the first time I flew out of FLL since they always work fine in other aiports and they only "recommended" taking them off. The machine did not beep/flag me, but since I had not taken them off as "recommended" they made me go through the additional search. (I travel a lot and this is probably the worst airport I deal with for security). So if they "recommend" you take off your shoes even though you wear those same shoes just fine through every other airport, go ahead and take them off anyway to appease TSA. This last cruise (Thanksgiving) they also had the black screen set up so they could do whatever "personal groping checks" they have to and other passengers don't have to stare at you. (At least now your breasts don't have to get felt of to assure that's an underwire bra you have on... I always disliked that) So any additional personal screening is done behind a private black screen. Of course this time I took off my shoes anyway since it was a "recommendation". I learned that the first time I flew out of FLL. "Recommendation" means "do it".

Just maybe Fll is the best for security rather than worst as you state.

Further, because of my implanted difibrilator, I have been patted down

at least 2 dozen times. I've never been groped. Always done very discretely and with the utmost respect explaining what they are doing every step of the way.

I have been "groped" twice". Once at Kennedy and once in PHX. Next time they wanted to grope, which was at LAX in October, I just started taking off clothes, behind their little screen. Pulled my top over my head, and there I stood in my bra. The screener became so flustered, she told me to put my top back on and sent me on my way. I was prepared to drop my pants, as I find the practice outrageous. It is VERY invasive for a woman. When you show up at the airport in silk t, black slacks, and a blazer which was taken off to go down the belt, where would I hide a bomb? And I could care less about their explanations. The three I encountered were a more than overly enthusiastic about their job.

So is it pretty easy to grab a taxi, a big one for four with all our luggage, right after we get off the ship...Should we somehow arrange ahead, or should we just be able to grab one? How far of a ride from port everglades to the Fort Lauderdale airport??

hdawson - Please consider yourself very lucky. I'm just weird in the fact that the only two people I feel comfortable touching my breasts are my husband and my gynecologist (MD). Having my breasts touched on three separate occassions by TSA in the wide-open made me uncomfortable. I have learned to always travel wearing a bra that is not underwire - even though the underwire may not make the machine "go off", if you are traveling on a certain type of ticket you are already selecteed anyway. When wearing a white turtleneck and sweater (or sweatshirt) thinking you might go braless, definitely wear a bra because even after you take off your jacket they still want you to take off your sweater as well (that has no metal buttons/clasps). Then if you are not wearing a bra your skintight white turtleneck becomes quite see-through -- particularly if it is cold in the airport. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the additional security but am not thrilled with having other women's hands touching my breasts - them touching my breasts doesn't make me feel like my flight will be any safer. (I am no longer AA gold status but still fly on a regular basis - just not as much as I did a few years ago). I have not flown since the new rule pertaining to "chest" areas came out last month. I do appreciate the fact now there is a privacy screen at some airports.

As far as the shoes, as I said before, no problem taking them off now that I understand the TSA definition of "recommended" at FLL - even if your shoes don't set off the machine. :) Every airport TSA screening area seems to have different rules, and you usually get to see that if you are connecting flights and having to change terminals (and go through security again in certain airports wearing the same shoes you wore through security just two hours before in a different airport). So as I learned my lesson at FLL regarding shoes that one time, "recommended" actually means "do it" - and that is where I feel they are one of the worst in my opinion. Just clarify to passengers what "recommended" means in TSA-language - that is where I feel TSA is lacking - clarify what you mean you want passengers to do by maybe saying "please remove your shoes". Then I know they want me to remove my shoes!:)

Otherwise, I still say no problem making the 11:30 flight after a cruise as long as you do everything TSA "recommends" at that airport. Taxis have been plentiful after our cruises.

4 passengers and all their luggage would be hard in fit in one taxi. If you're in a time crunch, make sure not to go over to the large vans, as the drivers wait until they've filled them up to the max before going to the airport, where you'll be at the mercy of the other passengers disembarking at different airlines! Cost would not have been much different using 1 taxi for each 2 people.

69.00 per person for one way? :eek: seems like a very good deal to me:D and i thought i did my shopping! i am flying non stop from boston to fort lauderdale and back and we are paying 220.00 per person and i thought that was a good deal....what airline? where did you get that price.........just curious :D stephanie from "bean town" sailing on caribean princess feb 5th woohooo.....

if you are traveling on a certain type of ticket you are already selecteed anyway.

If your boarding pass has 3 or 4 xxxs at the bottom right corner...you will get "the treatment"

Underwires steel shanks in shoes, heavy belt buckles or money clips all will set the dam thing off.

Such is the price of safety

If your boarding pass has 3 or 4 xxxs at the bottom right corner...you will get "the treatment"

Or "SSSSSS" across the top. I learned that the hard way, although the ticket agent warned me by saying, "Oooh! You've been randomly selected to be strip searched!" I thought she was joking, but she kept going on and on. Finally, I must have looked like I was ready to faint or something, because she explained the real procedure to me (giggling all the while). Thank God she forewarned me (and it wasn't really a strip search). It was embarrassing, but the person who did the searching was very apologetic and professional.

There was a young boy in line in front of me though (maybe about 7) who looked terrified.

Oh my God - I am so glad I stumbled on this thread! I was offended earlier this year, when I was randomly selected while leaving Ottawa International Airport just before boarding a flight to Vegas! This was long past security - where I did not beep or get searched at all! She made me take off my SHOES and I was somewhat offended, and she searched my carry-on luggage. In Las Vegas coming back at security they politly explained that I should remove my shoes and run them through on the conveyor belt because the type of shoes I was wearling typically has metal in the sole. I was happy to that. This woman in Ottawa explained NOTHING to me including the random selection, was not apologetic, abd basically just lead me to beleive I looked seedy.:(

At least now I can be prepared to expect this when I travel next week! I am not looking forward to this.:o

Hi Steph! Where in Boston are u? Sounds like we are pretty close. My return trip for $69 is with air tran, 1 1/2 hr layover. What airline are u flying? I still haven't bought the flight down, my week seems to be very expensive, flying out the Wed or Thur before Washington's birthday! I'm thinking of snagging song for $139 non stop. Could kick myself, because about 2 weeks ago the same flight was $99. I'm really stressing myself out here to save some $$$$

:D hi msweezie99 we are so close to the black falcon cruise terminal we can smell the diesel being pumped into the ships! we live in southy..and we head over all the time to watch the ships come and go.........we love waving to the fellow cruisers...we have sailed from miami..new orleans...san juan....but have yet to take a cruise from our back yard!.....dan my fiance and i are flying non stop on delta/song for about $220.00 per person..............looking forward to nonstop...no layover and one less chance to lose luggage. :eek: .............we sail on our first princess cruise on the caribbean princess feb 5th........and dan is psyched............ hopes to see the patriots on m.u.t.s on the 6th!

Archived