Brands of local rum

HoustonTodd

I would like to pick up a bottle of some local/Caribbean rum, something really nice. I don't want something that's just super strong and knocks you on your butt, but something with some actual good flavor, a nice rum. I'll probably look to pick it up in Cayman - any suggestions on some good brands?

Theres Appleton Estate, and Mt Gay. Those are two of the biggest. Mt. Gay rum is some of the best sipping rum Ive ever had.

They also have the infamous Big Black Dick rum in Grand Cayman. That may be worth buying just for the name and jokes that come with it. Lol

Theres Appleton Estate, and Mt Gay. Those are two of the biggest. Mt. Gay rum is some of the best sipping rum Ive ever had.

They also have the infamous Big Black Dick rum in Grand Cayman. That may be worth buying just for the name and jokes that come with it. Lol

I agree. I LOVE Mt. Gay. I tend to go with their standard "Eclipse". I've had Appleton Estate as well. I'll have to restock my supply in a couple of months here. I got a bottle of Big Black Dick (dark) for the very reason you suggested. Tortuga Rum seemed popular in Cayman as well (Maybe because of the rum cakes...?)

Appleton's is Jamaican and makes some outstanding rums but most are available at you local Spec's. The Cayman islands have two rum distillers, Tortuga and Big Black Dick. These products are not sold in the USA so you may want to bring one home. I recommend Big Black Dick. They only make a dark rum but I like it. Tortuga makes several product all I found disappointing, very harsh, except the 12 year-old Gold rum which was very good but much too pricey for my budget.

Archived