snorkel request fat fish or captain marvin or ????

ilovethesun

We were in Grand Cayman December 29 and had a FABULOUS time with Fat Fish Adventures! They provided really nice (brand new) jet skis that we rode out to stingray city! We met up with them and were warned that the seas were really rough and asked if we still wanted to participate and we said yes. We appreciated that they warned us. The trip over was quick and we hopped on our jet skis. We had two guides, Neil and I can't remember the other one's name. My husband was THRILLED that he got to ride full throttle through the crashing waves and we had an absolute BLAST. They took us to a small island where we were able to hold some starfish and then went on to stingray city. The waves were pretty crazy there (I remember it being so calm the last time I was there) but we all got to hold the rays and feed them which was so fun. Then we went a little further out to snorkel at the reefs which was beautiful. On our way back we stopped at a gorgeous little island (Kaibo) and had a drink there (be careful here - 4 drinks cost us $40!). Anyway, overall, our trip was AMAZING and my husband says it was the best excursion we've ever taken out of 4 cruises.

I can hands down recommend this company to anyone looking for a great time in Grand Cayman! They are great!

Let me know if you have any questions!

angie

ilovethesun, I am in the process of booking the tour for our day in Grand Cayman. Can you give me an idea of what an appropriate tip would be for a family of 4 if we were to do this tour. Is there a safe place to store clothing and money while on the tour?

Thanks!

We were hoping to tip about $20 but since our drinks were so expensive (there were no prices listed and we didn't assume they'd be so crazy), we only had $10. I felt bad! But I think $20 would probably be good. They do a great job, you'll totally want to tip them! Also, you can leave your clothes on the bus and they'll be safe and there is a little compartment on the jet ski where you can put your money and sunglasses and stuff. Have a great time!!

I did read the entire forum but did not find what we are looking for so that is why I kindly like some advice : .

We will visit on our upcoming cruise ( March ) Carnival Valor

The Cayman Islands (have been there did the stingray, want to do it again )

Roatan

Belize

Cozumel ( have been there did go to palancar, sorry the part we did, at that time, it was not great)

Snorkeling is our top favorite, second favorite is island touring

where should we go, with whom should we go with, to see coral, fish, dolphins, sharks, ….. that sweeps us away ?

We are very strong swimmers ( are snorkeling for almost 30 years and have seen a lot, yes we are very lucky we know) we are not afraid of strong current and deep sea and are fully equipped.

If we should hire a boat, dive cy, tour organization : we hate cattle boats with booze and loud music (they throw up where you have to snorkel, really have been through that )

Which one can you advise us ?

We are not looking for a long day at sea and an half an hour of snorkeling ( do not need a tan to prove that we have been on a holiday ) and I am on a cruise so will be on a boat for the whole week.

-the cayman islands : want to do the stingray – barrier reef – coral gardens or maybe any other alternative ???? ( have read about fat fish with their wave runners or Captain Marvin ? )

I thank you very very much for all your help and hope to get some good idea’s

Have a great day

From Belgium/ Europe

Frieda and Erwin

Hi Frieda & Erwin:

We have a Grand Cayman snorkeling excursion booked on the Catamaran Buccaneer which goes to Stingray City, the Coral Gardens, and the Barrier Reef. I was very attracted to this as it is a large catamaran, no "Included booze," and it leaves at 10:00 AM making it an easy morning getting off the ship. I am hoping we will be at Stingray City after the early rush. Here's the website if you want to check it out: http://www.grandcaymancruiseexcursio..._Catamaran.htm

If this doesn't give us enough snorkel time (although I think it will) there is still time to snorkel (or dive for you?) at Eden Rock right near the tender pier.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi,

It sounds like it does include all things we want to do, I only have one problem, I can not open your link to the website

could you give me the name of the cy so I can try to search it ?

Thanks for giving me this information and I wish you a very happy cruise

good evening

Frieda

Hi Frieda & Erwin:

We have a Grand Cayman snorkeling excursion booked on the Catamaran Buccaneer which goes to Stingray City, the Coral Gardens, and the Barrier Reef. I was very attracted to this as it is a large catamaran, no "Included booze," and it leaves at 10:00 AM making it an easy morning getting off the ship. I am hoping we will be at Stingray City after the early rush. Here's the website if you want to check it out: http://www.grandcaymancruiseexcursio..._Catamaran.htm

If this doesn't give us enough snorkel time (although I think it will) there is still time to snorkel (or dive for you?) at Eden Rock right near the tender pier.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi,

It sounds like it does include all things we want to do, I only have one problem, I can not open your link to the website

could you give me the name of the cy so I can try to search it ?

Thanks for giving me this information and I wish you a very happy cruise

good evening

Frieda

Try this again - Some of the link is hidden by the tool but it opened for me. Otherwise search Grand Cayman Catamaran Buccaneer .

http://www.grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/Stingray_City_Buccaneer_Catamaran.htm

I just finalized our booking with Fat Fish Adventures for Feb 9th for my wife and I. We got the last waverunner available for their 11:00am tour. From all the reviews both here and at Trip Advisor, I'm sure we made the right decision and we are very much looking forward to this excursion.

Thanks for the review! :cool:

http://www.fatfishadventures.com/waverunners/waverunnertours.htm

we are looking to do this tour as well for our upcoming march cruise and have a couple of questions. you say there is a small compartment to store small items but if we want to bring our camera and video camera(both have waterproof housings) i don't think they would fit??? is there any other place to store camera gear? I was thinking i might have to take a backpack to put it in. Do you think this would work?

we are looking to do this tour as well for our upcoming march cruise and have a couple of questions. you say there is a small compartment to store small items but if we want to bring our camera and video camera(both have waterproof housings) i don't think they would fit??? is there any other place to store camera gear? I was thinking i might have to take a backpack to put it in. Do you think this would work?

When we went with Fat Fish last may we just had our backpacks on the boat with Neil. He drives the big 25 foot boat and you follow in the jet ski's, everyone just put their stuff on the boat. When you get to Stingray City he gets out and ties up all of the jet ski's, while he is doing that just wade over to the boat and get your gear (there is a swim ladder into the boat). When your done put it back on the boat. There are two storage compartments on the Jet ski, one in front area and the other right in front of where you sit. Before you guys set out everyone will be given a chance to orient yourself to the ski so you can decide. Even if your equipment were to fit in either storage area, I wouldn't recomend it because they will bounce around in there. We just put our sunglasses, cheap underwater disposable camera and a bottled water in the storage compartment and they were fine. Good Luck, great excursion.

We just returned from a cruise on the Jewel of the Seas which had as it's last port before returning to Miami, Grand Cayman. My partner and I had taken jet ski/wave runner tours in Bermuda and Labadee, but they did not compare to the Wave Runner-Sting Ray tour with Fat Fish Adventures! We were met right in downtown Georgetown and taken to the launch site, about a 15 minute ride in an air conditioned van. Along the way, the driver pointed out several area sights and gave us a brief history of Grand Cayman.

After getting to the launch site and receiving life preservers and safety instruction, we headed slowly down a small canal toward the open water. Once we reached the open water, the guide, Neil, opened up his jet ski and took off over the water. Needless to say, the others in the group (6 people on 4 jets skis) took off also and we were soon racing to Star Fish Point. Once at the point, a beautiful beach with a nice sandbar, we saw live starfish in the natural habitant-very cool!

Our next stop was Sting Ray City! I will admit I was a bit intimidated when I got off my jet ski, as I could see the rays swarming toward me in the 4' deep crystal clear water. After a brief moment, I found the rays to be very friendly and seemed to enjoy rubbing up against humans. Neil showed us how to feed the rays and pick up the rays. He even showed us how to kiss the rays, however I opted not to do that. Neil was very instructive regarding the rays, their lifestyle, habitant, etc, and also instructed us how to determine male from female. Neil also had names for several of the rays and one ray seemed to be fond of Neil as she was always around him (I found that rather interesting that she would be able to determine who is who in the water).

Our next stop was along the barrier reef to do some snorkeling. After the snorkeling, we headed back to the launch site, about a 20 minute ride!

Neil was great, he allowed us to open up the skis and play around with them quite a bit, all the while keeping a careful eye on us. In all, the tour lasted the best part of 3 hours, with the majority of the time spent riding the skis!

Both my partner and I have been on jet ski excursions in the past, however this experience was the best! :):):):)

Just got off the Carnival Legend Sunday...was in Cayman for the earthquake (did not feel it)...but we did a jet ski deal to the sandbar and RumPoint through Island Marketing...had a great guide named Ian. I would reccomend this one.

Archived