Getting off in Cayman without Carnival excursion

HoustonTodd

This is our first time in Grand Cayman that we have done our own private excursion instead of a ship-offered one. I'm a little nervous about getting off in time to get to the excursion. As I recall from my last times here don't they ask that only carnival excursion people come early.

What tips/tricks are there for getting an early tender? Any input or advice from anyone to ease a poor man's mind? Thanks for any input!

This is our first time in Grand Cayman that we have done our own private excursion instead of a ship-offered one. I'm a little nervous about getting off in time to get to the excursion. As I recall from my last times here don't they ask that only carnival excursion people come early.

What tips/tricks are there for getting an early tender? Any input or advice from anyone to ease a poor man's mind? Thanks for any input!

Become platinum is the best idea. Get priority over everybody.

I never liked the idea that Carnival tours get first priority in tendering. However if you are worried about getting off in time bring some proof of your need to get off early to the meeting place and you should be fine.

I had a very early excursion on the Atlantis Submarine in Grand Cayman sailing on the Conquest... needed to be on shore by 8 AM...

I told one of the staff that I needed an early off and he handed me a ticket for the second tender...

At the excursion talk we were all told to report to the Toulouse Lautrec Lounge to get tender tickets... no biggie!

:)

We have tendered off in GC twice both times had tours with Nativeway. I dont remember it ever being a pain to get off. We where never extra early or very late. I do know both times once we got to shore we had between 30-60+ mins to kill before we had to meet our tour. So we had time to walk around of course only a very small handful of stores are open this early. So I ahve never had a bad experience getting off the ship.

Getting back on well thats a whole new story........

Another thing to consider is the time zone so that you don't rush to get there and arrive an hour early or an hour late (speaking from personal experience). GC does not recognise DST so Jan and Apr will be different. In addition you will be sailing out of Galveston in Jan but Tampa in Apr (after DST). This site helps me plan.

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_KY.aspx

Other than that you will have no trouble getting on a tender on time.

We also did a tour with Native Way and while we got to the tender area early enough, it took so long to get on and across that we actually missed our original excursion. They were nice enough to send someone for us and we went on another of their tours (actually less money and just as nice) but we had hoped for the Rays, Reef and Rum tour (missed the last part with lunch).

So if you have an early meet time, get off early.

We were just in Cayman last week on the Freedom and had a private tour booked with Stingray Sailing. We went to the designated lounge about an hour before we actually needed to meet our guide. The Carnival person was just handing out sticker numbers to whoever walked in...we got tender number 2 and were off in plenty of time, early actually. They never asked if we had a Carnival tour booked or not. It shouldn't really be a problem.

Have fun!

We did our own tour in Cayman as well. We didn't tell anyone that we needed off early. Just went down when they said to and were probably on the second tender.

Just remember that most people tend to run late. They gotta get the kids ready, grab breakfast, etc. So if you can make sure you're on time, you'll beat the crowd. No need to fuss. And unless your excursion starts within 20 minutes of your estimated dock time, you'll be fine. Grand Cayman is only 76 square miles total area, and most touristy stuff is located close to where you dock. (For Captain Marvin's, we walked to where we were to meet, and still had enough time to find a place to sit and eat breakfast.)

We sailed the Freedom in February and they were very nice about letting the non-carnival excursion people take a number and squeezing us in between the carnival excursion folks, to fill the early tenders.

Made my excursion just fine.

Last week on the Inspiration, we were told that no one could board a tender before the Carnival excursions were all boarded.

No exceptions, which is total BS.

Then of course, every excursion (including ours) to Sting ray City got cancelled that day (which was 90% of the Carnival tours) so it became a free for all on the early tenders after all.

So basically, it just depends on the ship you are on, and how intelligently they handle it.

I understand getting the Carnival excursions off first, that NEED to be ashore immediately.

But making everyone else wait for people who do not need to be ashore for 1, 2 or more hours later, is just ridiculous.

Bill

We have tendered off in GC twice both times had tours with Nativeway. I dont remember it ever being a pain to get off. We where never extra early or very late. I do know both times once we got to shore we had between 30-60+ mins to kill before we had to meet our tour. So we had time to walk around of course only a very small handful of stores are open this early. So I ahve never had a bad experience getting off the ship.

Getting back on well thats a whole new story........

I second that, never got off with ship plans always did whatever I could find........I will always do Nativeway when returning to Cayman.

I'm right there with you! Will be going early to get early tender tickets off. Our excursion meets at 8 (and leaves at 8:30) their time which will be 9 our time

Archived