Whats the latest on taking a little drink on board Ventura

jamiedog11

Here's the current alcohol policy from the P&O website:

"We have recently updated our policy on the responsible serving of alcohol and we reserve the right to confiscate alcohol at the gangway should the need arise. It is not our intention to invoke this policy as a matter of course and we will implement it only on occasions where we consider it is likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of passengers may otherwise be compromised."

So as long as you're not already four sheets to the wind when you walk up the gangway, you shouldn't have a problem.

Of course (as Sue alluded) if you're on a Caribbean cruise, your first problem will be getting it to the ship.

Over Christmas we all had a letter in our cabins stating that all alcohol would be confiscated at the gangway (bags had to be put through X-ray scanners) and returned to us at the end of the cruise. There was also a poster to this effect at the gangway. There were no duty-frees sold on our flight (from Birmingham).

However we spoke to a couple who had in all innocence bought duty-frees at East Midlands airport and had no problems bringing it on board.

Accordingly we thought it was worth buying our usual flavoured rums from the Rum Shop on St. Lucia, as well as some spiced rum on Tortola. Our bags were scanned but nothing was said, we ordered mixers from the cabin stewardess as usual and enjoyed a drink on our balcony. One bottle we brought home packed in a suitcase.

Carol x

I never really understand why you would bother taking a bottle on board and have the hassle of carrying it

I love a G&T or Brandy & Ginger on the balcony like the next man or women for that matter but on our last two trips on Arcadia I have always just picked up a bottle on the round the pool sales the first day at sea or out of port they deliver it to your Cabin and you can order you mixers via the cabin steward (in fact 12 for the price of 9 last time)

My wife likes a glass of wine in Cabin so sometime I just nip to the nearest bar ask for a bottle to take out and every time on Arcadia they have asked would you like that in Ice if I say yes it comes in a very handy water tight ice filled bag with handles to carry back to the cabin

I know it is possibly a little more expensive but you are on holiday after all

I agree with soletread -

The spirits on the ship are as cheap as duty free or your local supermarket and if not - there's not much difference in price and it's not worth the hassle.

Champagne is another matter though - I always take a few bottles on board as the ship charges too much!

Also when sailing from Southampton I buy mixers to take on board and top up at the ports of call supermarkets/shops as I find the mixers run away with a lot of my OBC !!!

On our last cruise (on the last 2 days) they were selling

assorted spirits (litre bottles) at really cheap prices.

I paid £8 for a bottle of beefeater gin. Vodka was the same price I noted.

So allow some luggage allowance for that!

Caryl

You should have time. When you go into the terminal building, turn to the left and walk along the row of shops on the left hand side. If you go after your trip just follow the noise as there is a karaoke bar as well and judging by the singing I think some people had spent their whole day there! They used to have free samples you could taste but in December there weren't any. There are all sorts of flavours, coconut, lime, spiced orange, ginger and more.

Carol x

I agree spirits aren't worth the hassle as you can buy main brands duty free on board.

You cannot however buy wine duty free and a half decent bottle is £15 upwards or £5 a glass. A winebox of Chardonnay is £16 for 3 litres at the supermarket so is much cheaper, but mainly convenient to have in the cabin fridge for cabin-drinking when YOU want it. Not waiting 30mins for a glass to be delivered on room service. A winebox is ideal from Southampton, but again too heavy for fly cruising.

Archived