How do I get from Rome to the port of Citavecchia?

Eve

First time on a Med cruise. We'll be flying into Rome, but the cruise leaves from Citavecchia (sp?). I've heard it's a long and expensive trip from one place to the other.

Can someone please advise on how to make these arrangements?

Thanks!

Eve

If you spend a little time looking at the threads, even just those on the first page of this forum, you'll find lots of discussions as well as step-by-step instructions on how to get from Rome to the port at Civitavecchia.

There are threads on how to do this by train, both from the airport or from downtown Rome.

There are also threads on limo services.

Finally, you could check on the roll call thread for your cruise and look for others to share a car or van service transfer.

Here's one on the train option: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1084500&highlight=rome+airport+civitavecchia

First time on a Med cruise. We'll be flying into Rome, but the cruise leaves from Citavecchia (sp?). I've heard it's a long and expensive trip from one place to the other.

Thanks!

Eve

Check the train site in my sig line!

GSP Lover, I am taking the train from Poggibonsi to Rome on Monday--bought the tix at the tourist info center today, for a total of 29E for the two of us, which was awfully cheap. This was recommended by the girl there. So when I got home and looked up the trains, it appears that the middle part is by 'autobus'? (Siena to Chiusi) Do they really do this? If I hadn't clicked on the 'details' part I would not have known this. I don't really mind, but there is only a 5 minute window to make the train in Chiusi, and if that bus gets held up we are in trouble--or just wait for the next train, I guess. Anyway I was shocked to see that and want to confirm with someone who knows.

Thanks,

Cathy

Thanks!

Eve

Civitavecchia. Ship would have a job to leave from Rome as it`s a little inland. You can book car or van depending on how many. Get a train airport-Rome then change to Rome-Civitavecchia train. Really depends when plane lands and ship leaves or if you want to spend time in Rome. Your question needs more info.

I am taking the train from Poggibonsi to Rome on Monday--when I got home and looked up the trains, it appears that the middle part is by 'autobus'? (Siena to Chiusi) Do they really do this?

They have to do this, there is no train line between Siena and Chiusi (no east-west line at that point). Strictly by train you'd have to go either north or south from Siena, then change.

By bus it's pretty straightforward from Siena to Chiusi.

GSP Lover, I am taking the train from Poggibonsi to Rome on Monday--bought the tix at the tourist info center today, for a total of 29E for the two of us, which was awfully cheap. This was recommended by the girl there. So when I got home and looked up the trains, it appears that the middle part is by 'autobus'? (Siena to Chiusi) Do they really do this? If I hadn't clicked on the 'details' part I would not have known this. I don't really mind, but there is only a 5 minute window to make the train in Chiusi, and if that bus gets held up we are in trouble--or just wait for the next train, I guess. Anyway I was shocked to see that and want to confirm with someone who knows.

Thanks,

Cathy

Yes, the train then bus combo does happen, particularly in the less populated areas of Tuscany.

They have to do this, there is no train line between Siena and Chiusi (no east-west line at that point). Strictly by train you'd have to go either north or south from Siena, then change.

By bus it's pretty straightforward from Siena to Chiusi.

Thanks to you and GSPLover for the info. I see Chiusi oin the map, it's pretty close to us. I just hope that 5 minute time frame is adequate, or that they hold the train waiting for the bus. Just another part of the adventure.

Cathy

Archived