Rental Car Galveston - Only Enterprise?

sbnuggie

Howdy,

I lost the thread somewhere, but someone posted recently that other rental car agencies have come back to Galveston. Enterprise is not the only game in town. Is this true. Are there other rental car companies in Galveston besides Enterprise?

Currently, the only rental car agency is Enterprise. It has been reported that Hertz is not returning to the island. These were the only two here.

And, unfortunately, Enterprise is closed on Sunday and closes at noon on Saturdays. So, if you drop a car off on Saturday after noon, your rental will not be processed until Monday in addition to a $50 drop fee. :(

• 3 months later...

Okee Dokee, back from our Conquest Cruise out of Galveston and here to report on Enterprise.

As detailed in other threads, some people are charged drop fee's for one way rentals some are not. We were not. As I posted in an earlier thread, when I called Galveston office they said no drop fee but have to setup reservation direct iwth Hobby location. Call Hobby location they quote $50 drop fee. Soooo, called the main enterprise 1-800 number and setup reservation, in email confirmation no drop fee (I didn't ask and they didn't tell me).

Show up saturday afternoon at the Hobby rental location with printed copy of email in hand showing no drop fee mentally preparing myself for a fight about adding drop fee's, lady checks me in, doesn't say anything about a drop fee, takes all my info down, walks me out to our minivan and were off.

Use the car then drop it off at the Galveston office on Sunday Morning, there is a yellow drop box right in front of the front door. Called Jeff's Taxi service which is on the front window of the Enterprise office and he shows up in about 5 minutes. While waiting for him I photo the exterior of the vehicle for CYA purposes. I finish as he pulls up. Says that it is common for people to drop rentals off at Enterprise on Sunday, I was the third person he had picked up today but comments I was the first he has seen photograph the car when done. Drives me to the port and it was about $15 fare.

Simple and easy and cheap, the lesson here for doing a one way rental is to call the 1-800 number and setup the reservation through them and have them email you a confirmation to avoid the local office trying to gouge you for these unneccessary "drop fee's".

• 1 month later...

I wanted minivan for 4 adults and luggage. enterprise gave me a price of $255 which included a one way drop fee. That price is outrageous since we will only have the car for 3 hours. Are there any other transportation options to get from Bush to galveston?

did you call the 1-800 # and they quoted you a drop fee? see my post above for what we did. The only other option is shuttle/limo etc...from IAH it ain't cheap, one of the caveats for cruising out of Galveston for those of us that have to fly in. Do a search on these forums for IAH transportation, lot's of info to be found.

Archived