Chicken's Private Pension in Copehagen

This is in response to "Princess Di's" email request to me for info on this pension in Copenhagen. My husband and I stayed there in August 04 before our Baltic cruise, mainly because it was just about the least expensive place in our guide book (Rick Steves).

I have been looking at staying at that Chicken Hotel in Copenhagen. Can you tell me a little about the hotel?

How far from city centre?

How did you like this accommodation?

What is the house like? Does it have and elevator or stairs?

In Rick Steves Scandinavian video, he talks about the City Loaner bicycles. Did you see any of these or use them?

We took a taxi from the train station because we had some heavy bags, but if you are just walking around sightseeing, most things were within wealking distance (if you are a regular walker). To Nyhaven, I think it was about a 20 minute walk or so, and to the center, 20-30 if you are just strolling. This is based on memory only, 5 months ago, so take it with a grain of salt. There is a metro station very nearby though, which takes you to Nyhaven in 5 minutes.

As far as how I liked it, for the price, relative to the expensive nature of Copenhagen, it was just OK. The proprietor was very friendly and helpful, but the mattresses (it's 2 twins pushed together) were uncomfortable and the pillows about the thickness of a pancake. Make that a crepe. No air conditioning, which shouldn't be an issue, but it was freakishly warm while we were there, so we slept very little. The bathroom is shared, which doesn't bother me, but I don't know how comfortable you are with that kind of lodging. My husband was in there shaving and a girl in a towel strolled by him to take a shower.

husmedium.jpg

No elevator, just stairs, but there's only 3 floors. (Remember they call our second floor their first). The house is very old, very full of character. It was clean, and there was an effort made to decorate the room. Ours looked out into a courtyard throughout which much laundry was hung to dry. It's essentially this guy's home over a little shop. There is a small kitchen you can use if you want to buy groceries and make breakfast. People do smoke in their rooms, so be aware of that if you are sensitive to smoke (I am).

We saw those bikes in a few places, but weren't there long enough to really look into getting them.

Hope this helps. You will enjoy Copenhagen, I know we did. Let me know if I can help in any other way.

The Chicken Pension sounds pretty much like I expected. I, also, am following Rick Steves' Scandinavian Guide Book. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads-up on the mattress & pillow sandwich thing. (He really should, at the least, get an egg crate for the bed if he is in the business of renting beds, as well as some pillows at the Dollar Store.) :eek:

I wonder if they have a Krone Store there. :D

I shall pursue the Chicken Man, however, so that I can save my Krone for Shopping. ;)

Your website update is great. Keep up the good work. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Archived