Millie Sky Suite vs Outside Cabin

jimbug

I know....there is absolutely NO comparison...a regular outside cabin (Continental Deck) as opposed to a Sky Suite (6145 or 6146, one of the "coveted" larger sky suites).

But, I need some advice. We booked the outside cabin on an 11-night Caribbean sailing on Millennium yesterday. It was a great price, and I have previously stayed in everything from an inside (RCCL), to a regular balcony (Princess/HAL/Carnival), to a penthouse suite (Carnival). Cabin is not *that* important to me, but after I saw the pics of that sky suite, my mouth started watering.... :)

For those who have had the sky suite or similar, do you feel the price is worth it? If I'm not mistaken, the only real "perks" are butler service (afternoon canapes/evening appetizers??), and priority embarkation/disembarkation. Am I missing any others, other than the fabulous cabin itself?

Should I make the switch? :D

Since you have booked an outside cabin, a balcony is apparently not a priority for you. You state that you are willing and able to book a sky suite, presently priced several thousand dollars higher. For only a few hundred dollars more than the cost of the sky suite, you could upgrade to a celebrity suite, which provides much nicer and more spacious accommodations, far superior to a sky suite for anyone who does not require a balcony.

Sky suites 6145 and 6146 are very nice, but I would hardly use the word "fabulous" to describe them. The current difference in price would not be worth it to me. Personally, I would much rather book one of the concierge cabins on that cruise instead and save a few thousand dollars.

If I really wanted to splurge, I would go for one of the larger, more luxurious upper-level suites, although I know that some people are quite happy with the sky suites. It is great that there are so many choices.

I'm also considering one of the concierge class cabins towards the aft penthouse deck. Apparently they are slightly larger and have much larger balconies than the other CC cabins. We'll see. The cruise is still a long ways away, so I'm sort of hoping for a price drop, though I realize waiting for that limits my choice of cabins. Right now, I decided to stick with my oceanview for the cheap price....knowing that we have 8 ports, I'm sure we'll spend plenty on excursions.

One little difference that may mean nothing to you, but while on a 14 day cruise I was so over the room service breakfast choices in a regular cabin. (although we were in an FV)

It was just all icky to me, and when I saw the menu that the CC cabins had I knew I could have lived with that for 14 days.

We have had a sky suite one time and the morning breakfast set up was wonderful. I am just not a jump up, get dressed, and head out to breakfast kinda person.

(just another little thing to think about, or not);)

In addition to the wonderful cabin, as you are already aware of, butlers serve afternoon tea every day around 4:00 PM in your suite, in addition to the canape/appetizers/cheese plate that concierge class cabins also receive. Butlers can also take care of shoe shine, pack and unpack your luggage, and take care of any issues you have. They are there to make your cruise more pleasurable. For instance, you can ask the buttler to bring the delicious pastries from Cova cafe every morning. You can have dinner served on the huge 6145/6146 balcony in the evenings with wonderful service, having the courses served one at a time - like in the main dining room. There is a thread on the celebrity board regarding what kind of services butlers offer.

Happy Sailing!

Thom

Well, after doing some serious thinking and price-comparing, etc...we decided to "upgrade" to a Cat 4 oceanview on Panorama deck...one of the much larger, forward-facing window cabins. It was only $100 more and the space is incredible, judging by other CC members' pictures they've posted here.

So, we'll save the big bucks for the excursions and whatnot, and just enjoy the large amount of space in our oceanview cabin. (Though I do wish for the Concierge Class breakfast menu and canapes...)

Well, after doing some serious thinking and price-comparing, etc...we decided to "upgrade" to a Cat 4 oceanview on Panorama deck...one of the much larger, forward-facing window cabins. It was only $100 more and the space is incredible, judging by other CC members' pictures they've posted here.

So, we'll save the big bucks for the excursions and whatnot, and just enjoy the large amount of space in our oceanview cabin. (Though I do wish for the Concierge Class breakfast menu and canapes...)

Smart choice, Jimbug. The money you are saving will pay for excursions, champagne, wine, cocktails, flowers, spa treatments, dinner in the specialty restaurant, or whatever else you want to spend it on.

Just a suggestion: Also consider cabin 7002 or 7003 (Cat 4 and same price), if available. They are the big forward corner cabins on Vista deck 7, even larger than the forward cabins on Panorama deck 8. You get a cabin the size of a suite for thousands less than the price of a suite.

Unless you are extremely prone to seasickness, being up at the front of the ship should not be a problem on that calm Southern Caribbean route.

If you want the smoothies and fresh squeezed orange juice that are on the concierge class breakfast menu, you can purchase them for a few dollars. As for the canapes, you will find a much larger selection of snacks from which to choose by heading up to the afternoon tea in the buffet area between 4 and 5 p.m. each day.

Archived