Smuggling Booze No More?

sailor44

Looks like Carnival may be cracking down on smuggling - changes to their liquor policy.

From Carnival's FAQ website:

Can I bring liquor on board?

A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, excessive quantities of wine/champagne or non-alcoholic beverages will be removed and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed containers with prohibited liquids will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

Looks like Carnival may be cracking down on smuggling - changes to their liquor policy.

From Carnival's FAQ website:

Can I bring liquor on board?

A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, excessive quantities of wine/champagne or non-alcoholic beverages will be removed and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed containers with prohibited liquids will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

You are cruising soon.. let us know how it goes bringing on the extra spirits:D

The good thing is that you get the booze back!

Does me no good.. can't travel home on the airplane with a 24 of beer...:(

Not always

Unsealed containers with prohibited liquids will be discarded

How would anyone have unsealed containers.. wouldn't it spill everywhere:confused:

Does me no good.. can't travel home on the airplane with a 24 of beer...:(

How would anyone have unsealed containers.. wouldn't it spill everywhere:confused:

Maybe they're referring to whiskey in a Listerine bottle?

just curious why no one has thought of this... you get your booze back the last night.. prob at the same time they do turn down and deliver your get off the ship papers and how much money you spent.. thats usually around 8pm.. theres still plenty of time to crack open your own booze at that point and have a GREAT last night :)

This makes sense. The cruise lines have to find a way to get every penny they can. They make a lot of money off alcohol, so the more they catch at embarkation the more they can sell YOU later! :D

Some of us will do without instead of spending $30 for a $5 bottle of wine. It's just not worth it. It's barely worth the $5, let alone the $30.

I have to agree that if they don't sell enough alcohol on board then they would have to increase their prices.

This makes sense. The cruise lines have to find a way to get every penny they can. They make a lot of money off alcohol, so the more they catch at embarkation the more they can sell YOU later! :D

I personally think they should do a survey.. or they should have noticed if they read the info here.. that most people that bring alkeehaul onboard still have a hefty bar bill... or if they are gonna let 1 bottle of wine per person on board.. I think they should allow 1 six pack per person of beer... or a micky of liquor.. to be fair ya know:p

just curious why no one has thought of this... you get your booze back the last night.. prob at the same time they do turn down and deliver your get off the ship papers and how much money you spent.. thats usually around 8pm.. theres still plenty of time to crack open your own booze at that point and have a GREAT last night :)

With my luck it will come to the cabin after I've gone to sleep! :rolleyes:

PARTY IN MY CABIN.. could be broadcast for any of the new friends made on board:D

All fits as the thread about locked or should I say unlocked luggage just appeared.

Printed out our doc's today and there it was....all luggage handled by porters on embark. must be unlocked.

TA added that there will be a delay in your bag delivery if it is locked and scans positive for booze or beer cans.

Buy an 8 pack box of 12oz plastic bottled coke. Obtain 2 750ml bottles of your favorite alchoholic beverage. CAREFULLY open the box at one end. Consume the contents of 4 of the 12oz bottles, wash out the bottles and caps. Refill the 4 bottles with the alcohol. Place 2 bottles of REAL coke in the box (side by side) followed by the 4 "other" bottles, and lastly the 2 remaining REAL coke bottles. Using a hot glue gun, reseal the box flaps.

I made 2 of these.

2 bags for me, 2 for the wife, each had a coke box or a bottle of champagne. All of it was checked baggage. We carried nothing aboard.

It all made it to the room.

Buy an 8 pack box of 12oz plastic bottled coke. Obtain 2 750ml bottles of your favorite alchoholic beverage. CAREFULLY open the box at one end. Consume the contents of 4 of the 12oz bottles, wash out the bottles and caps. Refill the 4 bottles with the alcohol. Place 2 bottles of REAL coke in the box (side by side) followed by the 4 "other" bottles, and lastly the 2 remaining REAL coke bottles. Using a hot glue gun, reseal the box flaps.

I made 2 of these.

2 bags for me, 2 for the wife, each had a coke box or a bottle of champagne. All of it was checked baggage. We carried nothing aboard.

Great minds think along the same lines.

Before you know it, they won't allow non-alcoholic beverages either.:eek:

I made 2 of these.

Nice idea! We take vodka and I buy a 6 pack of water in shrink wrap. Same method; wiggle the bottles out, empty and refill with vodka and wiggle them back in. No problem. Since this trip my sisters are coming along and like rum coke, your idea is perfect!

They may have just rewritten it. My ticket from the Inspiration last March (page 3 of the pdf file) has a similar statement: "All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation."

The old one sounds even harsher than the new one - at least the new one says they'll give it back! Maybe someone sued over a destroyed bottle of expensive liquor.

I had a funny experience on my Jan 2nd Liberty cruise. There were four of us and we bought 8 bottles of wine and 3 bottles of liquor on board in spread through our suitcases (the idea was that they would have to find all of the bags, not just one with all of it). The funny thing was that I told my buddy that it was going to break if he didn't pack it well. We told me it was totally safe and he didn't care.....We argued about for a bit then I let it go....

It was funny to see his face when he opened up his garment bag to shards of glass everywhere. I felt bad for him for about 5 - 10 seconds before I started the "I told you so..." routine...

Archived