No priest--canceled cruise--full refund

sailsalot

This is a very misguided move. Since HAL still provides priests they are now our first choice for a cruise.

Bye!

I don't think it's misguided at all. It won't stop me from sailing on Celebrity, nor will HAL's policy make any difference in my decision to sail them or not. I personally think it a very wise decision on Celebrity's part. There is so much positive about Celebrity, especially the restricted smoking policy, that I would look to them first. HAL may cater to you religous health. But Celebrity caters to my physical health. On a cruise, that is much more important to me.

Our family of 4 is booked on the Summit departing in March from San Juan. This will be our third X cruise -out of 13 total so far - but due to this policy change it will likely our last. It will certainly make X the last cruiseline we consider taking. It would now be out of the question to take X on an extended cruise without a priest on board. It is that important to us.

I would cancel this current cruise, but our air tickets are non-refundable. We will now spend the Sunday morning or our trip locating a parish in Charlotte Amalie for Mass instead of purchasing a Celebrity excurision for 4.

This is a very misguided move. Since HAL still provides priests they are now our first choice for a cruise.

Celebrity, please reconsider.

There should be a priest on your sailing, because Celebrity will have priests onboard during Lent, according to the new policy.:)

I'm not sure what Finely Cruising means by this, as it certainly wasn't a matter of just simply changing our minds and throwing out the "religion" as an excuse to get a full refund. However, when the cruise was booked, Celebrity had stated in both their written literature and on their website that a priest would be available for daily and Sunday Mass. My family booked the cruise with the expectation that they would be able to attend Sunday Mass. Since Celebrity changed that policy as of the new year, Celebrity could no longer meet their own standard of service that existed when the cruise was booked. I can't imagine why someone would assume our refund was done with less than genuine intentions.

Kitty9, thanks for the advice about Crystal. That's good to know of another cruiseline with this service, although we'd probably have to win the lottery to consider one of their cruises. ;)

Your point is well stated. I do not understand why any right thinking person would denigrate you for your decision. By the way, Celebrity followed the same procedure when they changed their smoking policy. Passengers were allowed to cancel with a full refund even if they were in the normal penalty stage.

Allowing passengers to cancel for a material change in the services offered makes very good sense to me. I think that Celebrity made a difficult business decision by deciding not to support one religion over others, yet they are honoring the needs of their passengers by allowing cancellations for this change in what is provided.

Providing Roman Catholic priests on every cruise differs a little from providing, say, vegetarian food, for instance, because it could be perceived by those of other faiths as favoring one faith over another.

I do like the idea of those passengers who would like to have clergy aboard paying for it. I would gladly pay, say, $100 a week or so to have a clergy person of my religion aboard to offer services to me and others of my faith.

Fortunately for my cruising Catholic friends, HAL continues to provide priests. Unfortunately for my COPD affected Catholic friends, HAL continues to allow cabin and balcony smoking. It is going to be difficult for some to choose between breathing and faith. That's where grouping up to pay the way for a priest to sail on Celebrity would be a good idea.

I am glad for the OP too, but am wary of those who will cite their religion in an attempt to gain a full refund in penalty time. That is why I thought a note from one's church was an appropriate method to obtain this refund. But, that is the cruise line's issue and not mine.:o

I'm not sure what Finely Cruising means by this, as it certainly wasn't a matter of just simply changing our minds and throwing out the "religion" as an excuse to get a full refund. However, when the cruise was booked, Celebrity had stated in both their written literature and on their website that a priest would be available for daily and Sunday Mass. My family booked the cruise with the expectation that they would be able to attend Sunday Mass. Since Celebrity changed that policy as of the new year, Celebrity could no longer meet their own standard of service that existed when the cruise was booked. I can't imagine why someone would assume our refund was done with less than genuine intentions.

Your point is well stated. I do not understand why any right thinking person would denigrate you for your decision. By the way, Celebrity followed the same procedure when they changed their smoking policy. Passengers were allowed to cancel with a full refund even if they were in the normal penalty stage.

Guys, there was no denigration, so don't read more into it than that. The first sentence was I am glad for the OP. So it might be a good idea to read the first sentence again.;)

Now fast forward, I am wary of those who may use this as an attempt to cancel at the lat minute and use this as an excuse. That did not mean YOU. How hoes that work... I am glad for YOU, but I really think you are a big fat liar.:rolleyes: No, if I thought you were a big fat liar, I would tell you so.

While this issue has no affect on me whatsoever, I am keenly aware from the outcry that this reversal impacts Celebrity cruisers and I am sensitive to the meaningfulness of this to them.

And, Jack while similar to the smoking issue when Celebrity made that announcement, some were unwilling to continue with Celebrity. The single most significant difference between the two issue is that one was unwilling as a result of the limitations; not that smoking was removed from the ship entirely. In this instance, there is no viable on-board solution. So for the smokers, they still can smoke in plenty of locations.

I do think with the change in the smoking policy there were many more smokers affected at that time and still even now, with much fewer affected as a result of this recent decision to all but eliminate religious services.

What it boils down from here on in as is it always does is determine ones needs when selecting a cruise line that meets ones needs as best as possible when all things are considered.

• 2 weeks later...

We are also disappointed that Celebrity will no longer provide a priest on all sailings. The priest on board not only said Mass, he also provided a non-denominational service for all Christian faiths on Sundays while on the ship. We were always grateful that Celebrity was looking out not only for our material well-being, but also the spiritual well-being of its passengers and crew. We had no idea the policy had changed when we boarded the Millennium on Feb 1, but quickly found out. We were grateful, however, that while in the port of Grenada on Sunday, they brought a local priest on board to say Mass.

Next year, we are planning back-to-back 14 days cruises in Feb/March and it will fall during Lent. It will be especially disappointing to not be able to attend Mass at that time. The Catholic church does excuse a person from Mass if they are traveling and cannot attend, but it's not obligation that brings us to Mass, it's love of Christ. We'll pray they will go back to their former policy and save money some other way...like eliminating the boring canapes in Concierge Class, or cutting out the flowers in the stateroom!

Archived