Need Advice Booking Cabo Dolphins Directly

champ.49er

I was in the process of booking the "Dolphin Encounter" excursion to save $50 dollars. Our arrival in Cabo is 7:00 AM according to the Carnival website and the reservation for the Dolphin Encouter was for 9:00 AM.

During the checkout process, I got this warning:

Dear Cruise Ships Guest:

We strongly recommend for all cruise ship passengers to reserve the tours we provide directly with the cruise lines. The tours offered by the cruise ships have been specifically designed to ensure that everything coincides with the cruise ship scheduled port times. As well, these tours often include extras such as round trip transportation, additional insurance as well as other items such as buffet lunch.

I checked on the Carnival website and it didn't mention anything about transportation, insurance, or lunch. I recall from other posts here on the forums that the Cabo Dolphins is walking distance from the port. Should I ignore this warning and just proceed booking directly to save $50 on this excursion?

Thanks in advance.

If your ship is late in docking, changes schedules, etc. which does happen, if you book through the ship, you will be refunded. If you book on your own, you typically will not be refunded as you would not be able to cancel far enough in advance.

Well I called Cabo Adventures twice and both times they "suggested" that I book through the cruise line. They also said that they couldn't book me reservation if I was coming from a cruise ship, but they said that I could book online. That didn't sound too encouraging. I found another post here of someone how made a reservation online, but received an email the next day stating Cabo Adventures cancelled their reservation because they were cruise ship visitors.

I believe it's because the cruise ship had different excursion times than regular visitors. Online, the excursion time was 9:00 AM, but through Carnival, it was 8:30 AM.

We too tried to book direct, both in Cabo and Vallarta, to no avail.

I suspect that those excursions are very popular, and certain days and time slots have been set aside for the cruise ships.

I cannot blame the direct bookers, though. Cruise ships are a constant and steady source of income for some of the excursions.

My problem was that I "promised" my grand daughter a swim with the dolphins for her birthday.

I was able to book through the cruiseline (NCL) but for considerably more money.

One consolation, though, since Cabo is a "tendered" port, NCL guarantees the swim, or our money back.

I would have preferred the Vallarta "Signature Swim" for her, but was happy to get what I got!

last year in Cabo we tried to do a walk-in and were denied also.I think they fill up really fast and I have also heard that certain excursions won't book on cruise ship days. We did the one in PV and it was something I'm glad I didn't miss. You can try a direct book but be prepared to book thru the cruiseline if you really want to do it. But I agree, don't know what they are talking about transprtation at that port:confused:

On my first few cruises I pretty much stuck with cruise excursions, I'm venturing into some private ones now cause I am slowly learning what is feasible and what is not. And honestly, if they are only charging $50 pp more than private booking thats really reasonable. I find that their mark up is usually closer to 100%:eek:

• 3 weeks later...

I contacted Cabodolphins direct about booking thru their website and they told me via email that they will not sell to cruiseship pax. They have steady timeslots and steady income from cruiselines so they wouldn't want to damage a relationship with the cruiselines. In all reality, Carnivals excursion price was cheaper than they offered for walk-ins. By booking in advance online, I would have saved 10%. Not worth it to me so I just booked direct their CCL. It was worth every dime. Transportation is not needed nor included in Cabo. It is a quick walk from where the tender drops you off. See picture below of the facility. The tender drops you off on the pier toward the middle area of the picture. You walk along the marina - the "reddish" pathway on the right side of the picture to the entrance.

2567928930040669306S600x600Q85.jpg

Most major tour companies and attractions in the ports give the allotments for tours directly to the cruise ships for those dates/times as the cruise ships bring in a ton of people at once, many of which want to go on tours. If these times were not set aside for the cruise ships to sell to their guests, the cruise ship guests would not get to go on many tours.

As well, many tours have to be changed or have a different schedule due to the cruise ships only being in port so many hours- and because ships are often late in docking, it would not be fair for the other people going on the tour to be forced to wait for the cruise ship to show up...hence the reason there are many tours devoted to the "cruise ships only."

If you are unhappy about the price your cruise ship charges, take it up with the shore excursion manager... but you also have to keep in mind that the extra price is mainly a security blanket that if the ship is late, changes port, cancels, etc. which does happen more often than you may think, you will receive a full refund. When you book direct, you usually will not be able to cancel within the time frame to receive a refund, if, in fact, there are any times available for you to book direct.

I've been on a few cruises and have book direct as well as with the ship's excursions and I have been burned by a ship not docking on time...so, for me, a stress free vacation is what I chose and would just book with the ship.

Archived