Beds on the Spirit....

cod

Have all the 'cots' been replaced with the new mattresses? When we were on the Spirit in Nov (or was it Dec?) '08 this is our experience..

We booked a large inside aft on 9. It had the new mattresses BUT there was so much vibration back there that we sought relief. (Everything rattled...we had paper wedges everywhere!!)

Any way, they agreed and moved us to an ocv HH on deck 4. It had the old cots and the outside of one was (very) bent down..or in. I was going to live with it because they'd been so understanding about moving us but when I laid down I found myself singing, "Please help me I'm falling etc" and I asked for help. The person that came to check it out said it was time for the new frames and mattresses to be brought in and it took a few maintenance men (and then housekeeping to make the new beds up) no time at all to have it all switched out. Heaven!

During the week we came across stacks and stacks of the new mattresses aft on either 9 or 10.

My question for recent Spirit cruisers....are there any cabins with the old cot-style beds or have they all been switched over by now?

Thanks!

I call them cots for lack of a better name. They were definitely lower and smaller and the frame 'flared' out on each end.

The newer beds (in the deck 9 cabins and the ones brought in on 4) were on larger, taller square-legged frames and the beds themselves were actually twin size which couldn't be said for what they were replacing. They even had dust-ruffles for the new frames which the 'cots' did not have. A MAJOR difference overall when seeing the new after the old.

And then there were the stacks and stacks of the new mattresses aft, so they were in the midst of switching over.

I'm hoping they all got changed out but a recent reviewer complained about the beds and, to me, the new beds were nothing to complain about. But the old?...yes!!

I'm sure the balconys and suites were the first to be switched out with everything else possibly falling under 'as needed'!

I think (but ain't positive) they're called trundle beds. I was in a similar cabin on the Spirit where the 3rd bed was a bunkbed above one of the beds on the floor, and the 4th bed was a trundle coming out from beneath a bed on the floor. It's pretty much wall to wall beds when the trundle is set up.

We were in 9207....it HAD the new beds. I never 'jiggled' so much in my life. I had read a review of this room with the same complaint but I 'pooh-poohed' it...after all what could cause a bad vibration way up on 9, far from the engines, right? Wrong!!!!

The first night I attributed it to the speed we were at for the first few hours until reaching the open sea. Wrong again! Eventually I called the pursers desk (?) and a maintenance man came and said it was due to something running 'under or around' that area causing it and agreed that it was pretty bad. They then moved us to deck 4 and it was smooth sailing from there on out.

In 18 cruises I never experienced anything like that before or since. It had nothing to do with rough seas...it just constantly vibrated. Laying in bed I felt like I was wearing one of those belts albeit at low/medium speed.

NCL was very nice about the whole thing and had no qualms about moving us and I couldn't help but feel they'd heard this song before. I'm just glad they had a place to put us!!

We are booked on deck 9 again for the April repo cruise but mid deck this time so I'm not concerned.

I don't know what cabin you are booked in. If it's not 9207 you may have no problems whatever.

Good luck!!!

I know the beds you mean but there were just two of us and what I've described were the 2 main beds themselves, nothing under something else. And if mine wasn't damaged we'd have just lived with it for a week. BUT after the new ones were brought in and set up, we realized just how much better off we turned out being.

I have only kudos for NCL's handling of this whole situation...from the vibrating cabin, to moving us, to bringing in the new beds!

Do you think the vibrating stopped thanks to the new beds? We're booked in one of the larger rooms aft on deck 9 and this concerns me a bit!

Just off the Spirit 1/10 cruise, my BIL had an aft owners suite on deck 9 room 9208. They had a hard time sleeping at night because of the engine noise and vibration. I could feel the vibration when we were in their cabin and it wouldn't have bothered me but I am a very sound sleeper. They asked to be moved it bothered them so much but the ship was full. We offered to let them have our balcony cabin :) but they never took us up on it

Have all the 'cots' been replaced with the new mattresses? When we were on the Spirit in Nov (or was it Dec?) '08 this is our experience..

We booked a large inside aft on 9. It had the new mattresses BUT there was so much vibration back there that we sought relief. (Everything rattled...we had paper wedges everywhere!!)

Any way, they agreed and moved us to an ocv HH on deck 4. It had the old cots and the outside of one was (very) bent down..or in. I was going to live with it because they'd been so understanding about moving us but when I laid down I found myself singing, "Please help me I'm falling etc" and I asked for help. The person that came to check it out said it was time for the new frames and mattresses to be brought in and it took a few maintenance men (and then housekeeping to make the new beds up) no time at all to have it all switched out. Heaven!

During the week we came across stacks and stacks of the new mattresses aft on either 9 or 10.

My question for recent Spirit cruisers....are there any cabins with the old cot-style beds or have they all been switched over by now?

Thanks!

As far as i know yes, they were replaced when the ship went into dry dock, Nov of 2008.

Nita

Archived