Butlers

volleyballmom87

One of the many reasons we were considering Azamara was the Butler service regardless of what cabin you are in. Today when I was on their website looking to see if their Summer 2011 destinations had been posted (they haven't) I clicked on the link "Take a Peek" to see what is new... I had already read about many of the changes, but this one took me by surprise.

"Butler service included for suite guests."

Does this mean that the previous policy is toast? If that is the case, why Azamara and not Oceania? This is a REAL question not looking to get blasted. I am truely trying to decide between the 2 lines and cannot afford a suite but do want to move up a level in food/service from the large ships.

I was expected the revamp and dramatically increased pricing to mean a significantly better product, but from what I see so far, there is some tweaking and pricing restructuring and a few bells and whistles which don't seem to contribute a great deal.

I know it's stating the obvious here, but I factor in gratuities when I plan budgets for a cruise and I can't drink more than a glass of wine or two with a meal, so I really can't see the justification for the big jump in prices. I will be interested to see if this sticks or if Azamara either does another flip flop or reduces pricing to a more justifiable level.

Having just come off the Journey, I loved our cruise and thought the product was great (maybe excepting some aspects of the MDR). I just don't understand the new pricing strategy and what the line expects to gain from it (apart from more $$$ profit of course).

I won't harp on about the 'butler' aspect because IMO it is a stateroom attendant in a fancy coat in the evening, and that's about it. I would say though that our 'butler' Cito was probably one of the best we have ever encountered.

One of the many reasons we were considering Azamara was the Butler service regardless of what cabin you are in. Today when I was on their website looking to see if their Summer 2011 destinations had been posted (they haven't) I clicked on the link "Take a Peek" to see what is new... I had already read about many of the changes, but this one took me by surprise.

"Butler service included for suite guests."

Does this mean that the previous policy is toast? If that is the case, why Azamara and not Oceania? This is a REAL question not looking to get blasted. I am truely trying to decide between the 2 lines and cannot afford a suite but do want to move up a level in food/service from the large ships.

Hi Volleyballmom !

Starting on April 1st, in cabins other than Suites, Butlers will be classified as Cabin attendants. Most folks who have sailed on Azamara in cabins other than Suites, have said the Butlers, were not actual Butlers. They were more along the lines of Cabin attendants, who wore Butler uniforms. With that said, you will still recieve excellent service from them, no matter what their title is. IMHO, Azamara has made an excellent decision on this, as it will avoid any disappointment, from passengers who expected more from them.

At the end of the day, you really aren't losing anything. I hope this helps.

We sailed 42 nights on Azamara in 2009. Very happy and have booked an asian cruise next year. Believe me, you are not loosing a butler. It was a standing joke among passengers that Azamara had put formal costume on the guy who cleans the toilets etc. and called him a butler. I respect Azamara for admitting that this was a silly effort.

• 3 weeks later...

The "butlers" in the standard staterooms are not really butlers; they're just cabin attendants in fancy dress. This was never a reason to prefer Azamara over another line, and you will not be losing anything. Calling a spade a spade going forward is good policy and avoids disappointment by new customers.

Archived