Wine Purchased Thru Celebrity

jaspersmommy

Stop trying to think so logically. All other items delivered to the room, I think even mini-bar items, have a 15% gratuity added. If the pre-ordered wine doesn't then that is a small discount. Personally, I'd still rather have the wider selection available on board.

OK I'm confused; which is it?:confused: Here you say "Personally, I'd still rather have the wider selection available on board"

Yesterday at 9:04 PM you said "We always send it down early in the day".

------------------

This was not a package; it was 4 bottles of wine but according to our Amenity Confirmation there was no gratuity added.

Also it's not always about "the small discount".

I like a particular wine and on one of our Celebity cruises they ran out of it half way through the cruise.

This way I know they will have at least 4 bottles of my choice waiting for me.

OK I'm confused; which is it?:confused: Here you say "Personally, I'd still rather have the wider selection available on board"

Yesterday at 9:04 PM you said "We always send it down early in the day".

------------------

This was not a package; it was 4 bottles of wine but according to our Amenity Confirmation there was no gratuity added.

Also it's not always about "the small discount".

I like a particular wine and on one of our Celebity cruises they ran out of it half way through the cruise.

This way I know they will have at least 4 bottles of my choice waiting for me.

LSimon is confusing you, mjw. Me too. You have it right. If you order CELEBRITY wine online before cruising, you will not pay the gratuity. On a 35$ bottle of wine, I will save over 5.00 by having it delivered to my room. Big savings? No. But I will have 3 bottles in our room that I know we can take with us to the bar or restaurant of our choice to finish, if we want. I have tried several of the online wines over the last few cruises and do have a couple favorites. Everyone to their own tastes.

Enjoy your wine and happy cruising!:D

By the way, the way the quotes are showing up here, it is certainly hard to follow.

Sorry if my posts were confusing. Perhaps it was because I was mixing a few points that were not directly related.

First is that we do like the wines on the wine list in the dining room and personally would prefer those to the ones offered through the bon voyage list. Often we pick the wines after seeing the dinner menu to get something that pairs well. With that said not everyone has the same taste and if you do like the wines offered on the bon voyage list then by all means order them and get the discount of not paying the gratuity. The main reason I even like to bring this up in posts is there are many first time Celebrity cruisers who don't even realize there is a much larger wine list on board than what is offered on the bon voyage gift list.

Second point was just to let people know that they can send wine to the dining room through their cabin steward rather than carrying them around. Again, a point that not all know about. While I don't buy wine through the bon voyage list we do occasionally have wine received as gifts from our TA or others and we often will send those to the dining room. We used to bring on more wine before the 2 bottle limit and higher corkage fees went into place. These days we use our carry-on limit for a couple bottles of champagne to enjoy on the veranda.

Final point was on the comment about there not being a 15% surcharge because it was delivered to the room rather than "served". I was just adding the observation that lots of other beverage purchases that don't involve any 'service" do carry the 15% charge.

Sorry if my posts were not clear as I was just trying to add information and advice.

Larry, thank you for posting the wine list. Could you and the others please post recommendations of your Celebrity favorites in the low to mid price range for readers on limited budgets who enjoy drinking wine but are not knowledgeable wine connoisseurs.

TIA

Archived