Camp Carnival communication

mikenna

We will be on the Spendor with 6 year old twins who will love Camp carnival, I'm sure. How does camp staff contact parents in case of emergency, or problem? Do you carry your cell phone around, and do they call you?

Hi I am sailing with 6 year old twins on the Slendor as well in July..I was told they do have pagers and when you are in port you carry your cell..I don't know how comfortable I am leaving them on board while we go on shore..We have done several vacations with them and have lived overseas they are good travelers but I am a worrier! I know they will have a great time and I have only heard wonderful things about camp carnival..Good luck and let me know if you find out any more details..happy and safe travels..Lisa

For the younger children the parents are given pagers that work on the ship. Not sure if that applies to 6 year olds or not and I am not sure they would work off the ship.

I am not sure why you would not want to take them ashore with you though and do some family excursions?

I have the capers for camp carnival in my signature from the Splendor, but they are for 9-11 year olds and 12-14 year olds, but it will give you an idea of hours that they are open and when they close for lunch and dinner.

I have a 12 year old sister who is a year behind in school (a little bit special), a bit shy, and I'm wondering if she would be more comfortable with the 9-11 year olds as opposed to the 12-14 yr olds. Would she have a choice? I don't want her to feel excluded from the older kids who may tease her/make her feel excluded for being behind. She really is a sweet kid and I want her to have the time of her life. I plan on giving her a walkie talkie so she can get ahold of us whenever she wants to (or if she gets upset).

Also, if anyone has camp carnival capers to give me an idea of what she can expect that they can share, I'd appreciate it.

When we sailed two years ago on Carnival Freedom, Camp Carnival actually gave us a cell phone-like device. It made and recieved calls to/from the camp only. I believe the range was also limited to the ship, but I have slept since then.

Our DS was 4 at the time. As great as we (and he) thought Camp Carnival was, we would never have left him on the ship while we went ashore. There is always a risk of accident, detainment, or illness. Not splitting up from my youngling on vacation-especially in a foreign country.:eek:

lisa e - I wouldn't call that being a worrier, just being sensible.

I took my DD on her first cruise when she was not quite 3. Camp Carnival gave me a pager (which they used I think twice to page me) and it was great. I left her for 2 hours while we were in Acapulco and left the staff my cell number just in case. We're taking her again in 2 weeks aboard the Splendor and while I plan for her to spend less time in Camp Carnival now that she's older (5 today!) I do plan on leaving her onboard for a couple of hours while we are in Cabo San Lucas so we can do the ship's snorkel excursion. Then we will go pick her up and take her to the beach. The other 2 stops she is included in our paid excursions.

It's our understanding (DW and I) from the staff on our first cruise that the 2-5 age get cell phones and the6-9 get cell phones OR pagers depending on # of kiddos onboard. When we went on the victory our daughter who was 5 got one of the last cell phones. There were TONS of kids but amazingly we never saw many unless dropping DD off or picking her up. On the Triumph we went w/o kids and our new friend from the roll call had a cell for her younger DD and the 6-9 group used that # to contact her.

Just returned from the Valor last night. The onboard pagers are for kids up to age 5. If you have another child they can use the pager to get in touch with you. They contacted us once for our 8 yr old. He wanted to leave camp..

We had a pager for our then 6 year son last year on the Fascination. We did not leave him onboard while in port, he always came with us. I too am a worrier and could not get comfortable with the idea that he was left onboard while we were on an excursion or beaching it! If something happened to us or we missed the ship for some reason he would be alone on the ship (or if he needed us, medical emergency and they could not reach us), no thank you! Too many "if's" for me so I would not be comfortable doing it!

OP, the Splendor has the cell phones. They do issue them to the 2-5 age group first, however, and then the older kids. If you have concerns, I would speak to one of the counselors. Even if you don't have a phone, you can always call camp to check on them.

When we sailed two years ago on Carnival Freedom, Camp Carnival actually gave us a cell phone-like device. It made and recieved calls to/from the camp only. I believe the range was also limited to the ship, but I have slept since then.

Did you try to use the phone with other numbers? The ones on the Splendor and the Ecstasy could make/receive calls to/from any phone number on the ship. Judging by the numbers in the phones when we got them, we're not the only ones who use them for non-Camp purposes.

Did you try to use the phone with other numbers? The ones on the Splendor and the Ecstasy could make/receive calls to/from any phone number on the ship. Judging by the numbers in the phones when we got them, we're not the only ones who use them for non-Camp purposes.

No, I didn't try. I remember they said it was to call Camp Carnival, so knowing my personality, I am sure I took them literally. Thanks for the heads up as we may have one again depending on how they classify DS for our cruise this weekend. (He turns 6 a few days into the cruise)

-Jayne

Archived