Which RCCL Mayan ruin excursions are best?

PAcruiser116

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on CC. My BF and I will be taking our first cruise ever on the Liberty in April and I have been busy planning excursions. We would both like to see some of the Mayan ruins in Belize but do not want to use an independent company in that country. Has anyone tried the RCCL excursions to Cahal Pech, Altun Ha, Xunantunich, or Lamanai? Would you recommend one of these over the others? I do not know much about Mayan ruins!!

I know Costa Maya has some as well, which may be better (at the risk of talking about Costa Maya on the Belize board!), but we wanted to check out the little town of Majahual, maybe explore the beaches and port and the ruins there seem to take up most of the day.

Any and all suggestions will be welcome! Thanks!

My DW and I are taking the RCCL Altun Ha and river tour in February off the Liberty. We've heard good reviews and seems like it'll be nice. We've been on a couple of other 'ruin' tours and this should be a good one. I guess I'll see what other comments get posted.:)

I am going to copy and paste my reply to another post asking about Lamanai. We were just there a week and a half ago.

Hi!

We just did the Lamanai tour a week ago. We sailed with RCCL on Jan 10 and one of our stops was Belize.

I was so nervous about this one. I had heard so many bad things. I needed not worry at all.

We did book through the ship, simply because of the duration of the excursion, I was nervous we would miss the last tender back otherwise.

While Belize does appear to be a poor country, we NEVER felt unsafe on our tour. Edgar was waiting right at the main building when you get off the tender with a sign and he whisked us all right onto an air conditioned coach. We rode for about an hour, through small villages etc. He did a great job telling us all about his country and pointing things out. He also handed out bottled water for us.

We got off the bus at a "station" on the river, there was a chance to stop and use the washroom and some small souveniers were for sale as well. We then boarded a little boat, piloted by Nate. Edgar accompanied us as well. Nate was just as great, slowing to see crocs and telling us about the birds and river and local area. We got off the boat at the Lamanai Reserve where women were waiting with a really nice lunch and drinks. We then were able to hike the ruins. Nate had so much information, he knew his stuff. It was something that I am so glad we did, despite the length of the journey. You should go.

I have heard not to wander around Belize City alone but honestly, we felt 100% safe on the guided tour. I would hate to think that we may have missed this.

Just my opinion....

I haven't taken any of these excursions specifically with Royal Caribbean, but I have visited all four of the ruins you mentioned. I would rank them (from best to worst):

Lamanai

Xunantunich

Altun Ha

Cahal Pech

They are all very different and all worth visiting. Cahal Pech is right off the road on the way to Xunantunich, so if you can get an excursion that visits them both. You could see my photos here:

http://www.pbase.com/2112/belize

• 3 months later...
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on CC. My BF and I will be taking our first cruise ever on the Liberty in April and I have been busy planning excursions. We would both like to see some of the Mayan ruins in Belize but do not want to use an independent company in that country. Has anyone tried the RCCL excursions to Cahal Pech, Altun Ha, Xunantunich, or Lamanai? Would you recommend one of these over the others? I do not know much about Mayan ruins!!

I know Costa Maya has some as well, which may be better (at the risk of talking about Costa Maya on the Belize board!), but we wanted to check out the little town of Majahual, maybe explore the beaches and port and the ruins there seem to take up most of the day.

Any and all suggestions will be welcome! Thanks!

Lamanai is a great trip and the ride on the river is almost as exciting as the ruins .we saw a croc in the water and howler monkeys. it is really a beautiful trip. we booked with belizecruise excursions which ithink is island marketing ltd. they operate on several of the islands. there is also a really good lunch served. it is better if there aren't to many people goingthough.

Archived