Lapband - eating on cruise?

Karkies25

Hey Everyone,

I am 3+ months post op from lapband surgery (50lbs lost so far, 65lbs to go!).

I think I have a good handle on my "new way of eating", however now we are booked to go on Mexico cruise in end of Feb.

Since cruises (in the past) have always been about the food, I was curious about how other lapbanders handle eating on a cruise?

I am also worried that I will have to explain myself repeadetly to the various wait staff on why I am eating so little or why no water to drink w/ meal.

I am very open about having a band, however I don't want to keep explaining myself, especially in the dining room to that meals server. The usual comments I get from servers in restaurants is "did you not like it?"/etc

Any tips from fellow lapbanders out there? Thanks! :)

PS: please checkout my blog: lapbandgalsjourney.blogspot.com

• 3 weeks later...

I was banded almost 4 years ago and have been on about 6 or 7 cruises during that time. The first one was 2 months after banding. You are right...before banding, a main focus with cruising was on the food. Not so afterwards. I found I actually enjoyed my cruise MORE when I didn't focus so much on the food. Just eat like you are eating now and you will be fine. I went to the gym or walked on deck every day.

As far as waiters questioning your smaller appetite, yes, that happens. It still happens to me. I just tell them I enjoyed my meal, but I just don't have a large appetite. They never push the issue.

Good luck with your weight loss!

If you have the same wait staff each day - I'd think you'd only have to tell them once - and possibly even ask for smaller portions (so there won't be so much waste)? Congrats on your weight loss! :)

I have been banded too. I have been a few cruises since. In the dinning room I like to taste each thing I order. If they ask me if it was ok I just say yes it was great I'm just full. I do enjoy walking the ship so I get a lot of exercise from that. Food does get stuck sometimes so I have to make sure I eat small bits and chew really good. I also try to eat food that I know I don't have problems with. I really need a fill but I'm not going to get one till after my cruise. I have not lost any weight in a long time. :o But I also know I need to work with my band more. Don't worry just have fun. :)

Archived