Diamond Princess Jogging Track Hours?

Aussie TJE

We are cruising on the Diamond Princess in 26 days (so excited) and my partner runs every day. Just wondering if anyone knows what hours you can use the jogging track. I just read on another thread (for Sapphire I think) that you can't use it between 8.00 am - 8.00 pm - due to the fact that it upsets the spa people). I really hope this is not the case on the Diamond Princess!

Just want to know so I can break it to my partner gently if it has very limited use.

Yes, there is a single SMALL sign indicating those hours, but it is routinely and frequently ignored, so I would go ahead anyway, especially if there are others running/jogging. The Sapphire/Diamond (sister ships), have an extra wide promenade deck (deck 7/8) that many use for running/jogging. - lots of room for both walkers and runners.

Yes, there is a single SMALL sign indicating those hours, but it is routinely and frequently ignored, so I would go ahead anyway, especially if there are others running/jogging. The Sapphire/Diamond (sister ships), have an extra wide promenade deck (deck 7/8) that many use for running/jogging. - lots of room for both walkers and runners.

Thanks so much for the quick reply cab519. I broke it to him before your response, so in fact your response turned out to be good news! I also just discovered by reading another thread today, that the Star Princess has apparently removed their jogging track, so it looks like we won't be cruising on her. Oddly enough we were looking at doing her South America 30 day cruise next year, luckily we changed our minds!

Each of us has certain things that are very important to us on a cruise ship and his main priority is a jogging track and the other thing that is very important to us is having a alternate flexible dining area - ie Horizon Buffet as we tend to spend a bit of time there. We are all different, and that's what makes life interesting! That's why it's best to research beforehand and find the right ship for you, then you can't be disappointed. Mind you, we've never had a bad cruise yet! Life's too short to be miserable.

We are cruising on the Diamond Princess in 26 days (so excited) and my partner runs every day. Just wondering if anyone knows what hours you can use the jogging track. I just read on another thread (for Sapphire I think) that you can't use it between 8.00 am - 8.00 pm - due to the fact that it upsets the spa people). I really hope this is not the case on the Diamond Princess!

Just want to know so I can break it to my partner gently if it has very limited use.

Hello! We just got off the Diamond, and walked several times on the track. We did notice the sign that said joggers couldn't use the track between 8am - 8pm. During the times we were on it, all were walking. Joggers were directed to the promenade deck which was a bigger deck and had more room to run.

If you can't jog/run before 8am, I suggest to use the promenade deck as you'll be bumping and maneuvering around the "walkers". It won't be an enjoyable run for you.

Enjoy your cruise!

When I was younger was a jogger but now in my seventies with Osteoporisis

still do 5K walking on promenade deck,sea days..

Princess used to have a rule for everyone to walk/jog anticlockwise.They do not have the signs up anymore so we get some persons clockwise .On the wake of the ship one day turning the corner there will be an accident if two joggers meet:eek:

If we all went anticlockwise as in the past would solve that problem.

Don't travel on the small ships they only have a small jogging lane on upper deck making you run in a small circle you would have to use the gym.They also have a small jogging lane on upper deck Sapphire/Diamond too small again.

Fresh air with jogging/walking is the healthiest way to go in my opinion..Kruisey:)

When I was younger was a jogger but now in my seventies with Osteoporisis

still do 5K walking on promenade deck,sea days..

Princess used to have a rule for everyone to walk/jog anticlockwise.They do not have the signs up anymore so we get some persons clockwise .On the wake of the ship one day turning the corner there will be an accident if two joggers meet:eek:

If we all went anticlockwise as in the past would solve that problem.

Don't travel on the small ships they only have a small jogging lane on upper deck making you run in a small circle you would have to use the gym.They also have a small jogging lane on upper deck Sapphire/Diamond too small again.

Fresh air with jogging/walking is the healthiest way to go in my opinion..Kruisey:)

Thanks for the info whynotcruise and kruisey. It's only on the sea days that he would probably used the jogging track, as he would run around the city/port on the non sea days. Will certainly look into the promenade deck. Having a running deck is very important for him, so that's something we always look into when looking at a cruise. Thanks again for the feedback - it is greatly appreciated. Only 20 days to go!!!

Maybe he will have to just walk quickly!!!

On the promenade deck the joggers usually run nearest to the rails and just say' excuse me' to the walkers and they let them pass. There will be no problem........Kruisey:)

I was on the Diamond in Dec 09 and run early (0630ish) each day. Even at that time of the day there were quite a few walkers on the jogging track. It is quite narrow and when there were 2 larger people walking side by side (as was often the case) they virtually blocked the entire track, so you were constantly having to shout out excuse me's as you approached and squeeze past at high speed. The track is only a few hundred meters around the circuit and I do a lot of sprinting so I was repeating this process every 1-2 minutes.

A few days I waited until 0800 and ran on the promenade deck which is much wider and at that time of the morning was pretty quiet. In the bow of the ship you have to go up a flight of stairs to Upper Promenade deck and then down again on the other side.

If I was up early and there were lots of walkers I was waiting until the gym opened at 0700 and used a treadmill. Not a huge fan of them but they have a great view :D

I was recently on the Diamond Princess. While standing at the Purser's Desk I overhead two older ladies talking to the desk staff about why they were allowing joggers to use the Promenade deck. Apparently, a jogger almost ran into them when they were walking and one of them tripped over a deck chair while trying to get out of the way. The Purser's Desk staff said that joggers were NOT supposed to jog on the Promenade deck. They are supposed to use the jogging track. However, I did continue to see joggers on the Promenade Deck so matter how crowded it was with walkers.

The Purser's Desk staff said that joggers were NOT supposed to jog on the Promenade deck. They are supposed to use the jogging track. However, I did continue to see joggers on the Promenade Deck so matter how crowded it was with walkers.

Unfortunately the Pursers desk tend to say whatever it takes to get the guest out of their queue. As per an earlier post the sign on the jogging track specifically instructs joggers to use the promenade deck after 8.00am.

I think the better solution would be a sign advising walkers not to use the jogging track at any time & to only use the promenade deck for walking so as not to interfere with the people trying to run; and install better sound proofing between the jogging track and the spa so the spa guests are not troubled by the sound of runners above.

I was on the Diamond in mid 2009 for an Alaska cruise and I do run every day, usually about 8 to 10 miles. I used the Promenade deck every time since it was more enjoyable than running in a fairly small circle on the track. Except for the Icy Straight Point crossing, never had a problem with people walking since I usually run at about 6am. Had to delay my run until the deck cleared that day.

Unfortunately the Pursers desk tend to say whatever it takes to get the guest out of their queue. As per an earlier post the sign on the jogging track specifically instructs joggers to use the promenade deck after 8.00am.

I think the better solution would be a sign advising walkers not to use the jogging track at any time & to only use the promenade deck for walking so as not to interfere with the people trying to run; and install better sound proofing between the jogging track and the spa so the spa guests are not troubled by the sound of runners above.

Exactly!!!

If it is a jogging track it should be available for those who seriously want to run. The slow-side-by-side walkers have many places aboard the ship they can walk.

Archived