Springing THE Question...

hvyhttr21

my fiance did it on the balcony before we'd even left port. he said that it had been burning a hole in his pocket since he got it and couldn't wait to ask/give it to me.

you could do it right as you're leaving port. get her up to the front of the ship (depending on what ship you're on, there's sometimes a secret public area right over the bridge) and ask her!

If someone were to propose on their cruise, when would be an ideal time?

Before she runs up a big S&S bill.:D

Seriously, other than during lifeboat drill about anytime is a possibility.

There are plenty of private moments up on deck in the evenings, romantic moments at dinner etc. So much depends on who you are as people.

Pick a time that works for y'all.

I proposed while sitting on the floor of my wife's college apartment, and had to wake her up to do it. She had crashed watching TV. Not a great romantic moment but it worked and we've been married for 27 years.

Good Luck

If someone were to propose on their cruise, when would be an ideal time?

You have a world of oppurtunities on a cruise

On a balcony at sunset

On a beach during an excursion..you can write in the sand will you marry me?

Arrange with your waiter to bring the ring on a plate under one of those plate cover thingies

I have heard of someone asking to have it put in the capers :)

Go out to for specialty dining and arrange to have your steward decorate your room, after dinner bring her back to a romantic room ( flower petals champagne ect ) and propose

Arrange one of the tour guides to play it into the tour, such as stopping at a romantic lookout point and letting everyone know you are stopping for a very important reason..once everyones attention is had, ask her

During formal night go get your pics done..when the photographer is ready to snap the picture say "wait" get down on your knee and propose right there..have photographer take picture..A memory that you can keep for a lifetime :)

On my last cruise, someone at a nearby table proposed at dinner on elegant night. It happened just about at the end of the main course, but before dessert. The lady made a loud gasp, so the nearby tables looked. The waiters brought a piece of cake with a candle (or more than one, I couldn't see from where I was seated) and they sang, "Happy Engagement to You" to the couple. Romantic? Maybe not. Memorable? Definitely.

Oh, Tammylyne has marvelous suggestions! All I was going to suggest was sunset..... Kathy

LOL thanks Kat..I am a true romantic..although my proposal from hubby was anything but romantic :rolleyes: It was definately memorable and we will be celebrating 12 years in a couple months..so I guess its not how ya propose, its a memory that will be reflected on for many years !

During formal night go get your pics done..when the photographer is ready to snap the picture say "wait" get down on your knee and propose right there..have photographer take picture..A memory that you can keep for a lifetime :)

There are no more Formal nights.They have been eliminated fleetwide over a year ago.See the website for the new dress code.

Steve

you have a world of oppurtunities on a cruise

on a balcony at sunset

on a beach during an excursion..you can write in the sand will you marry me?

Arrange with your waiter to bring the ring on a plate under one of those plate cover thingies

i have heard of someone asking to have it put in the capers :)

go out to for specialty dining and arrange to have your steward decorate your room, after dinner bring her back to a romantic room ( flower petals champagne ect ) and propose

arrange one of the tour guides to play it into the tour, such as stopping at a romantic lookout point and letting everyone know you are stopping for a very important reason..once everyones attention is had, ask her

during formal night go get your pics done..when the photographer is ready to snap the picture say "wait" get down on your knee and propose right there..have photographer take picture..a memory that you can keep for a lifetime :)

i like that!

if she has her MOST favorite tradition or time on a ship.. for me its sail away on the lido with a glas of champagne, you can take her favorite part of the cruise and make it even more special,, then every cruise you go on after that, everytime that moment happens she will think of when you proposed :)

Not quite on a cruise ship, but that's what I did to my wife. Had dinner on her B-Day @ Olive Garden. Sat at a table for 2, in front of the fireplace. Had dinner (I didn't eat much, I was nervous as hell lol.) "went to the bathroom" and gave the ring to the store manager, and it was delivered on a dessert plate with her favorite dessert (the chocolate lasagna; that they no longer carry). The box was covered with a tiger lilly. (we just passed 5yr on Jan 8th)

Got down on one knee with the entire staff / restaurant watching :D

I'm sure you could do something similar... Or take her to the bow @ sunset... and as she's looking forward @ the sunset, get the ring out and get down on one knee and ask her to turn around :) That'd be memorable...

I agree. If the photographer can get burst shots, it would better your chances of getting that right one! :D

I agree. If the photographer can get burst shots, it would better your chances of getting that right one! :D

I like that idea also. Another thought would be get with the CD and work it out to do before one of the shows or events.

Here is what I did, although it wasn't ON the cruise...

Buy a wine bottle and drink the wine but save the cork, get some old looking parchment paper from the arts and crafts store, get some glitter and a small piece of white rope. Tie the rope around the neck of the empty wine bottle, put glitter in the bottle and then on the parchment paper write the sweetest love letter you can for your girl. This way it has the whole message in a bottle idea going on...

If you are traveling with someone else have them (assuming you port at a beach?) plant the bottle on the shore as if it had washed up in a remote location that there arent alot of people near, or have him plant it and just guard it until the coast is clear (no pun intended). Then you and her stumble across it. Curiousity will get the best of her, you play dumb of course, let me her open it and read the letter and as soon as she startes reading she should know its from you then afterwards get on one knee and propose.

I did this on Kure Beach, at sunrise, and a friend planted the bottle for me. It was beautiful and the best part is that there is a little memento of the occasion and she will have no idea how it all transpired.

Depends on the ship, but if you were on one with the big movie screen you could take her out to see one of the late movies at night and have them flash up "Will you Marry me" before or after the movie starts. I'm sure you could arrange with Carnival to have a photographer nearby for the moment.

But they are all right when they say.......it depends on what kind of couple you are. Is she gonna like a big public display or something intimate and romantic with just the two of you.

Oh, and prepare for the cell phone bill or internet cost b/c if I got proposed to I wouldn't care if I was in the middle of the ocean, I would be calling or texting everyone I knew!

As someone hoping to get engaged soon, (and possibly on my upcoming cruise!), it may be nice to have a nice dinner but not propose there. If shes expecting it and you plan a nice dinner, she'll expect it to come then. I vote for talking to the room steward, having them decorate the room with rose petals and some champagne, then act like youre just going back to the room for the night, have her open the door and there is everything. Depending on you guys as a couple, it may be more romantic for you to do it when you two are alone rather than in front of a ton of people.

Plus, not sure about your girlfriend, but I'll be a sappy mess crying happy tears, etc, not something I need to do in front of a ton of people!! hahaha

Good luck!!!

I think it might be nice to make arrangements with the Captain (since they seem to be out and about a lot more now) to pull the ring box out of his pocket (maybe during the 'meet & greet' on the Promenade on elegant night) and say "_________, will you marry _________?" I know that is one I would never forget!

Another idea is to arrange it to happen while watching the "Newlywed/Not So Newlywed Game"....with the assistance of the Cruise Director.

As much as it would make for good TV to propose in front of a lot of people, it depends on the girl. I know that as much as I love attention, I wouldn't want to be proposed to in front of a bunch of people. I wouldn't mind announcing it in front of a bunch of people, but the actual proposal I want to be intimate. I think I would love 1 evening after dinner at the nice restaurant, we go for a walk on one of the top outdoor decks, under the stars and moon with nothing but the sounds of the waves. I've found the top decks to usually be pretty empty in the evenings. Then he gets down on 1 knee and asks me to be his wife. Get back to the room, and there are chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne waiting for us. Ideally this would be the night before we're in St. Thomas since I can call everyone for free from my cell phone in St. Thomas.

Although I always thought it would be kind of cute to get engaged at the Newlywed/Not so Newlywed game. Before the show, I've seen them call up a single girl on stage and ask her a bunch of questions about her dream guy. I could see setting it up with the CD that he call up the girl, and starts asking questions about the traits of her dream guy, and then have him come out in a tux carrying some roses (fake if real ones aren't allowed) and the CD could say something like "How does this guy look to you?" and then he gets down on 1 knee and proposes. I always thought that would be a cute time to do it, because it's unexpected, ties into the whole marriage thing, and for some reason, I kind of think it's sweet when she's dressed in casual clothes and he comes out all nice and spiffy in a tuxedo, don't ask me why.

On second thought, can I have my guy propose to me twice on the same cruise? Just so I can test out both ways and see what I like better?

Archived