Declare posessions before a cruise?

chadci

This came up in another topic but how do I declare the things I bring with me so they don't try and charge me when I leave the ship at the end of the cruise? We will travel with a camera each plus a video camera, a regular every day watch, a dress watch and she usually has a necklace or two, rings etc.

This came up in another topic but how do I declare the things I bring with me so they don't try and charge me when I leave the ship at the end of the cruise? We will travel with a camera each plus a video camera, a regular every day watch, a dress watch and she usually has a necklace or two, rings etc.

You are right but we never had a problem (cruise alot and buy jewelry one year, take it on a later cruise = when did you buy it?) First of all customs is very aware of the problems I am sure and simply cannot go through everyone's luggage with a fine tooth comb (3000 passengers X 4 bags each = 12000 bags.) They do not sweat the small stuff and will not get into a pissing contest with someone over if their camera was brought on the trip or not. The allotment for each person is quite high and we have bought jewelry declared it and no one looks or cares (it was under our allottment) The do try to control some of this by asking you for your sign and sail card and cabin number while buying things from the duty free stores or even at store blocks from the port. In all the cruises we have been on, we have never heard of anyone being busted for anything besides "drugs" - They do have dogs there to check all the luggage coming off for street drugs. (They do not check for peoples prescribed medications that happen to be controlled substances - although they have the right to do it) A old man with a back condition bringing is Vicodin will not have a problem at all carrying the required number of pills for his cruise. For the most part they use their keen sense of people's behavior and profiling to single out people. We have seen people arrested on the ship when we got back by customs and they have had the drug dogs sweep the halls before everyone gets off. Most people they look at your paperwork, passport and wave you on. They want "smuggerlers", not the guy who bought a pair of earring for his wife in a duty free store.

Relax, and have a great vacation.

Hrm, that's an interesting topic for converstation... I wouldn't have thought about that. Because I'll be bringing my Watch, my dvd camcorder and a digital camera. Possibly my iPod...

Does Carnival really try and get you for items like that on the way off the ship?

Register Items Before You Leave The United States

If your laptop computer was made in Japan—for

instance—you might have to pay duty on it each time

you bring it back into the United States, unless you

could prove that you owned it before you left on your

trip. Documents that fully describe the item—such as

sales receipts, insurance policies, or jeweler's appraisals—

are acceptable forms of proof.

To make things easier, you can register certain items

with CBP before you depart— including watches, cameras,

laptop computers, firearms, and CD players—as

long as they have serial numbers or other unique,

permanent markings. Take the items to the nearest

CBP office and request a Certificate of Registration for

Personal Effects Taken Abroad (CBP Form 4457). It

shows that you had the items with you before leaving

the United States and all items listed on it will be

allowed duty-free entry. CBP officers must see the item

you are registering in order to certify the certificate of

registration. You can also register items with CBP at

the international airport from which you’re departing.

Keep the certificate for future trips.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/kbyg_regulations.ctt/kbyg_regulations.pdf

Hrm, that's an interesting topic for converstation... I wouldn't have thought about that. Because I'll be bringing my Watch, my dvd camcorder and a digital camera. Possibly my iPod...

Does Carnival really try and get you for items like that on the way off the ship?

Carnival just wants you off the ship so they can bring new money, oops, passengers aboard.

CUSTOMS cares what you are bringing off the ship tho!

LOL! The majority the time we debark.....customs is one officer standing collecting your form and nothing more......no questions nothing.......

After debarking the ship, the Customs agent checking passports did question my husband about his watch (that he had purchased onboard on our previous cruise). It was a Fossil, nothing real flashy or expensive. Found it odd. But yes, it does happen and could have been a total PITA.

After debarking the ship, the Customs agent checking passports did question my husband about his watch (that he had purchased onboard on our previous cruise). It was a Fossil, nothing real flashy or expensive. Found it odd. But yes, it does happen and could have been a total PITA.

... That's what mine is, but it's MANY years old... was a gift from my wife... about 2 years before we were married... lol

My dad got stopped once when he and I went on a cruise. He forgot to add an inexpensive ring he purchased for his girlfriend, the CBP agent saw it and threatened to take it away. It was not pleasant. He had just gotten pulled out of line randomly...ugh!

When you buy jewelry in ports, they ask for your cabin number so they can pay commission to PPI for the sale at a "chosen" store. don't think that has anything to do with US customs.

YEA......last year coming debarking off of the liberty my BF and i was asked to go over to the Customs hold area ( i guess thats what you call it:))

they went thru our luggage, i had 5 bottles of rum in there ( thank god i put it on the sheet)and My Bf had some meds for high blood pressure in a plastic case

The officer told us it was good that i put the rum on the declare sheet and that from now on if we travel with meds to have to have them in the original presciption bottle. They didn't ask us anything about the cameras, a camcorder. psp, phones watches, necklace or

ipod

They had the dog come out to sniff the bags asked us some questions, then they said we could go........but

In the lane next to us OMG......the officer was asking the couple about ALL of their jewerly.....stuff they was wearing ....stuff in bags....they asked for receipts.........i guess they saw one thing....and it opened up a can of worms.

i guess its hit or miss as to what they check

I just bought a cruise, and actually read the contract :rolleyes:. When you mentioned declaring belongings you bring aboard, I* thought you may be referring to the contract where under #4 about baggage and limitations of liability, it states:

(d) It is stipulated and agreed that the aggregate value of Guest’s property, does not exceed $50 per guest or bag with a maximum value of $100 per stateroom regardless of the number of occupants or bags and any liability of Carnival for any cause whatsoever with respect to said property shall not exceed such sum, unless the Guest shall in writing, delivered to Carnival, prior to embarkation, declare the true value thereof and pay to Carnival prior to embarkation a sum equal to 5% of the excess of such value. If Carnival shall be held liable for the loss of or damage to Guest’s baggage or property it is agreed that such liability shall not exceed the lesser of: (1) the actual cash value, or (2) value declared in the manner above provided (up to U.S. $100 if no such declaration has been made). Declared value amounts to be proportionately reduced in any case where less than all of Guest’s baggage or property is lost, delayed or rendered unusable due to damage. In no event shall Carnival be liable to pay any compensation if the nature or value of the property has been misrepresented.

I had never noticed this before! I'm sure I won't "declare" the value of our stuff, but with 4 in a cabin, cameras, jewelry, laptop, shoes, luggage, etc., you'd better believe it is more than $100 worth of stuff! I guess if you just wanted to insure your belongings, that would be a way to go about it. Although, if you read the contract, Carnival is probably not liable for anything anyway. I couldn't think of a circumstance in which they would be liable for loss of passenger property based on the way the contract is worded.

Do I care? Heck no! Won't stop me from cruising, but there is some interesting stuff in that contract! Wonder if anyone actually does this? (Pays the 5%to Carnival for the overage ahead of time, just in case)???

Boo

I just bought a cruise, and actually read the contract :rolleyes:. When you mentioned declaring belongings you bring aboard, I* thought you may be referring to the contract where under #4 about baggage and limitations of liability, it states:

Boo

Our belongings are covered under our homeowners policy even when traveling. If you have a good policy (even renter's policy) you can get it covered. Another angle is the credit card company you put your cruise on. When they lost my luggage (never to be found), VISA covered much more than the airlines themselves and we were reimbursed by VISA for the loss of the suitcase and contents.

The reason Carnival registers their ship in foreign ports is to get around many laws that would apply if they registered them in the USA. Did you ever notice that none of the major cruiselines, even if based in the US ever register their ships here?

Archived