Alaska w/ a 7 & 5yo?

ffej

We are contemplating going on an Alaskan cruise in July with our two boys who will be 7 and 5 years old. They do like nature and outdoors activities, but I am worried that there wouldn't be any excursions, etc for them (i.e. kids their age) to enjoy on a cruise. They have never cruised before, but vacation very well.

I am interested in hearing what itinerary and activities you have done on an Alaskan cruise with children of similar ages. If you haven't gone, but have ideas please let me know as well. My wife and I prefer to research & plan our own activities on port days vs. using the ship's planned excursions, but would do so if it would be easier with the kids.

Also, is there a particular cruise line that you prefer w/ kids in Alaska?

Thanks for your help!

Generally, Alaskan cruises are to see the sights specific to Alaska...not so much for "party time" like you might on a Caribbean cruise...

You probably should get a guidebook on Alaska, and see what there is to do and what might be of interest to the kids in each stop...then you can determine if you need to pay for an excursion, or if it's something you can do on your own.

Then, check out the port of call boards so you can find out what excursions (private or ship-sponsored) have worked for others....

We've been to Alaska twice, if your kids are outdoorsy they will love it.

Some ideas-

Juneau- Mt Roberts. Mendenhall Glacier -top or bottom, river rafting/kayak/canoe

Ketchikan- Lumberjack show, Crab Boat ala Deadliest Catch, snorkeling (with full wetsuits)

Kayaking

wild life boat tours

dog sleds on snow or at a summer training camp

Bear Walk (in Icy Straight)

Helicopter rides

Float Plane

Mile Long Zip Line (in Icy Straight)

Tha Alaska Board has tons of info.

Also look at the cruiselines tours to get an idea of what is offered in each port.

Our kids have enjoyed HAL. The lines gets a different crowd in Alaska. The kids programs are geared towards Alaska.

Whichever line-Have them get involved in the kids clubs, check them out the first night.

I took my 3 children, including ds4 to Alaska this past summer on Radiance of the Seas. He now says that he wants to live on a cruise ship. Excursions he enjoyed: whale watching in Juneau and sea kayaking in Ketchikan. Honestly, there were probably 3 more excursions per port that we could have done. IMO, any of Princess, HAL, Celebrity or RCCL should do a fine job of entertaining the kids in the kids club. Choose based on ports and price.

• 1 month later...

We did a cruise tour two years ago when my kids were 6 & 4. They LOVE Alaska. I think we are going back this summer and they can't wait. We did whale watching and the tram in Juneau, they went to the lumberjack show (with grandma & grandpa) in Ketchikan and we rented a car and drove up through the Yukon in Skagway. We also did the land tour before the cruise. Enjoy!

It is an awesome trip for kids. They will love going to a dog sled camp and going dog sledding (there are several options to do that). Various wild life cruises/whale watching/etc. The Zoo in Anchorage (if you are going there) is small, but really great for kids. Salmon Hatchery in Ketchikan will be neat for them (and just seeing all the salmon in the creek). The excursions focused on bears. They will love it.

We went last July with our 2 & 6yo and both had a blast. We rented a car in Skagway and drove up to the Yukon. Both kids enjoyed our stop in Carcross.

In Juneau my 6yo did the helicopter/dogsledding tour with her father while I walked around with my son. In Ketchikan my husband & 6yo did the Bering Sea Crab tour, which she still talks about. Generally she's pretty squeamish but the crew were able to get her to touch an octopus and some crabs. She love seeing all the eagles flying in to feed.

.........Salmon Hatchery in Ketchikan will be neat for them (and just seeing all the salmon in the creek). ..............

Make sure the salmon are running. We went at the end of June and the salmon weren't there. Also the hatchery is a series of floating/piered 'docks' with no real railings.

It would be very interesting to see if the salmon were running. On the boat ride there we did see all sizes of jellyfish.

Make sure the salmon are running. We went at the end of June and the salmon weren't there. Also the hatchery is a series of floating/piered 'docks' with no real railings.

It would be very interesting to see if the salmon were running. On the boat ride there we did see all sizes of jellyfish.

If you go later in the season the salmon are running. Late August the streams were so full of salmon swimming shoulder to shoulder it reminded me of the Soviet May Day parades

Here is a list of what wildlife is in season month by month, in Southeast Alaska. http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/viewing/southeast.pdf

Here is a link to a thread from last year that has some good info about family friendly shore excursions in Alaska. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1054757

The best cruise line is the one that goes where you want to go. Alaska is more about the ports and less about the ship. I would recommend at least one glacier, such as either Glacier Bay or Hubbard or at the very least Mendenhall in Juneau. Tracy Arm is more about scenic cruising through a spectacular fjord and less about actually seeing the Sawyer Glacier which is way off in the distance. Cruising out of Vancouver is more scenic and less likely to encounter rougher seas than out of Seatle; not to mention that Vancouver is such a great city to explore with kids.

Have you narrowed down your choices yet? Do keep us posted.

Hope this helps.

N.

Archived