Carry On Only - Rum Runners?

DBSO Monkey

I always lock my luggage. No one is going to open it without me present. If you have to keep it unlocked they could take other things and you would have no recourse. I was on RCCL in December and they wait until you are there to open the luggage. I know because a friend had beer in his suitcase and had to open the bag in front of them. That would be a big liability for them to say keep your suitcase unlocked. The porter or anyone else handling the luggage could steal something. I would insist on bringing all my luggage on board no matter what size if it had to be unlocked.

Candi

This is a clause from the current Carnival ticket contract that you have to accept in order to go on the cruise:

(g) All Guests agree Carnival has, at all times with or without notice, the right to enter and search Guest’s stateroom, personal safe or storage spaces, or to search or screen any Guest, and/or personal effects, at any location, to ensure compliance with any of the restrictions set forth in this agreement. Any Guest who refuses any such search or screening may be denied boarding or disembarked and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued..

This gives Carnival the right to search your luggage without your presence.

As well as this:

(f) Weapons, firearms, contraband, ammunition, explosives, incendiary devices, or other dangerous items are strictly prohibited aboard the vessel. Carnival reserves the right to confiscate, destroy and/or turn over to authorities these or any other items it deems in its sole discretion to be detrimental to the safety or comfort of any person or which are otherwise improperly in the possession of any Guest. Each Guest warrants that no such articles are contained in any receptacle or container carried or presented as baggage. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited except as provided for in clause 8(f). All Guests agree Carnival has, at all times with or without notice, the right to search Guest’s baggage and/or personal effects for any of the prohibited items, at any location, to ensure compliance with these restrictions. Any Guest who refuses any such search or screening, or any Guest traveling with such items, may be denied boarding or disembarked and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. The Guest will be solely responsible for any and all damage and/or loss caused by his violation of this policy.

A note about Rumrunners:

After reading a few threads here about Rumrunners we decided to order 3, 32oz flasks for an upcoming cruise.

I placed an online order on Jan 27 at 11:30am eastern time and used standard USPS first class shippping. Got an immediate confirmation of my order and received a shipping notice an hour later. The package arrived today from Phoenix (2 days cross country!). They get my Attaboy award.

I ordered the "cruise package" from RRF early last week. I received them Friday. 4 days from order to package received! :D

Ya know, if they confiscate my booze they confiscate my booze. It's not going to ruin my trip. I've never had booze taken and I've always carried it right on in a water bottle that I've tossed into the bottom of my purse or put in my "kangaroo pocket" of the hoodie that I'm wearing. I still end up spending a small fortune on my bar bill once on board anyways.

I ordered the "cruise package" from RRF early last week. I received them Friday. 4 days from order to package received! :D

Ya know, if they confiscate my booze they confiscate my booze. It's not going to ruin my trip. I've never had booze taken and I've always carried it right on in a water bottle that I've tossed into the bottom of my purse or put in my "kangaroo pocket" of the hoodie that I'm wearing. I still end up spending a small fortune on my bar bill once on board anyways.

If you don't care if they confiscate it or not why incur the expense of these RR's if previous methods have worked in the past :confused:

They will be x-rayed and conficated? Rum-Runners advertise that they are not detectable.

Through a metal detector they will not be. Through an x-ray machine they will show up as orange for the organic material inside and a light green for the inorganic material of the plastic.

Dave

If you don't care if they confiscate it or not why incur the expense of these RR's if previous methods have worked in the past :confused:

Because those methods here shortly will no longer work as they are going to be looking at any bottle shaped object in checked luggage. In addition, it does not long to detect a rum runner pouch from its distinct shape. Ways around it would be to add items to the outside of the pouch to change its shape or configuration.

Dave

Used the rum-runner flasks on the Valor last year..the cruise kit. I put it in our toilitries bag in between shampoos and body wash and bug spray. had 0 problems.

My luggage was not locked and everything was fine when we got our bags.

I plan to do the same again in May...just the thought of how many bags they have to get on to the ship and quickly leads me to believe this......

When they happen to see the rum runner flask during a scan...they will take it...but I sure hope that is far from the first thing they are looking for in our bags.....if it is........ I think we should be worried

Plus, I believe that their new policy has already served its purpose in making people think twice about packing alcohol...proof in point is this thread

Ok Let me get this straight please...I can bring a bottle of wine inside checked bag during flight and transfer it to a carry-on for embarkation..Right???

AND I can fill a rum runner or two with rum etc and put it in checked bags for flight and boarding and hope for the best with Carnival???

Because those methods here shortly will no longer work as they are going to be looking at any bottle shaped object in checked luggage. In addition, it does not long to detect a rum runner pouch from its distinct shape. Ways around it would be to add items to the outside of the pouch to change its shape or configuration.

Dave

I don't believe I was responding to any of your replies so why do you feel the need to respond to my reply that were NOT directed to you ? :(

Ok Let me get this straight please...I can bring a bottle of wine inside checked bag during flight and transfer it to a carry-on for embarkation..Right???

AND I can fill a rum runner or two with rum etc and put it in checked bags for flight and boarding and hope for the best with Carnival???

You have got it correct. Just remember that the liquor in your checked bags for flight may tip the scales regarding weight alowance w/airlines.

I don't believe I was responding to any of your replies so why do you feel the need to respond to my reply that were NOT directed to you ? :(

1) it is a board in which information is freely exchanged.

2) item highlighted in red is what I was responding to because soon those methods would not work for the person you were responding to. That would be the reason why the person would go through the expense and taking a chance that the Rum Runner would make it through screening.

Dave

I always lock my luggage. No one is going to open it without me present. If you have to keep it unlocked they could take other things and you would have no recourse. I was on RCCL in December and they wait until you are there to open the luggage. I know because a friend had beer in his suitcase and had to open the bag in front of them. That would be a big liability for them to say keep your suitcase unlocked. The porter or anyone else handling the luggage could steal something. I would insist on bringing all my luggage on board no matter what size if it had to be unlocked.

Candi

If you fly with locked luggage it has to be a TSA lock, which every baggage handler has a key for anyway, so what's the point? If you use a NON TSA lock, your baggage wont be on board.

Dave

I am just not sure if they really xray all the checked bags? I can't imagine that being very effecient? It just doesn't make sense to me? They need to take the bags, seperate them by area of the ship and then load them into the metal racks and then load them onto the ship....I just don't see it. Plus the cost of adding xray machines to the bowels of every port??

I am just not sure if they really xray all the checked bags? I can't imagine that being very effecient? It just doesn't make sense to me? They need to take the bags, seperate them by area of the ship and then load them into the metal racks and then load them onto the ship....I just don't see it. Plus the cost of adding xray machines to the bowels of every port??

The ports already have the large baggage x-ray machines there. So no added expense other than going through the suspect bag.

The racks are all ready sorted by area of the ship when the bags are initially put in them. When full they are taken to the large baggage x-ray, unloaded directly onto the x-ray, scanned and put in another rack on the other side. No more than 5 minutes per rack.

Dave

i keep hearing different stories..here's my personal experience.

dh and i walked right on the ship loaded down with rum runners. in his pockets he had two small ones and i had 1 larger one in my backpack. ran it through the machine, no problem.

the entire contents of our cruise kit made it on.

We purchased the soda card for the cruise, and then purchased our beers throughout the cruise as well as several of the carnival drinks.

If you fly with locked luggage it has to be a TSA lock, which every baggage handler has a key for anyway, so what's the point? If you use a NON TSA lock, your baggage wont be on board.

Of course it will be. Your lock may or may not be.

In a pinch, a brick works as a key for your house. Why lock your doors?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived