15%on drinks !!!!

bonniecharlie

That is the case. The price on the menu is what you pay for the drinks and the prices are about the same as UK pub prices. Gratuities are at your discretion unless you are on Freedom dining where you are charged £1.60pp per day. However there are a couple of envelopes left in your cabin for you to use for your restaurant waiters (if on club dining) and your cabin steward with an leaflet explaining recommended tipping.

Brian

Hello, I have heard that on P&O they do not take 15% off you for your drinks, also tips at the end of your cruise are left to your own discretion

can all past P&O cruisers help with this Thanks

All true, they also don't expect tips from children until the age of 12 years. At present the recommended amount is £3-10 /person/day between the room/dining team. Some give more, some less, some nothing.

I think a thread outlining the diffences between cultures would be good, especially with =X= Eclipse sailing out of Southampton this year.

All true, they also don't expect tips from children until the age of 12 years. At present the recommended amount is £3-10 /person/day between the room/dining team. Some give more, some less, some nothing.

I think a thread outlining the diffences between cultures would be good, especially with =X= Eclipse sailing out of Southampton this year.

I suggest we stay away from discussing cultural differences and stick to the cruiselines policies.

Buddy

Really.... I think it would be good for UK cruisers to learn the difference between the 'culture' or 'custom & practise' of the US & UK based cruise lines. As I say Eclipse is sailing out of Southampton this year so people should know the different ways.

Surely there are only two ways, if comparing the P&O way and the American cruise lines way. Vastly different. Pay for services rendered or pay in advance for service to be expected.

The former advocates stewards and waiters giving of their best, the latter, sloppy service and the expectation of a tip, whatever the service.

We have done both and prefer the P&O stance.

Surely there are only two ways, if comparing the P&O way and the American cruise lines way. Vastly different. Pay for services rendered or pay in advance for service to be expected.

The former advocates stewards and waiters giving of their best, the latter, sloppy service and the expectation of a tip, whatever the service.

We have done both and prefer the P&O stance.

Merlin, you may pay in advance but you reserve every right to go and change your 'tip' if the services rendered isn't up to your expectation. Conversely, if you receive services over and above your expectation then you can provide an additional gratuity if you chose too. On our last cruise the room steward bent over backwards to ensure we received exceptional service without being intrusive. This young man brought us paddied chair cushions from the chairs around the pools so our chairs on the balcony would be more comfortable. He actually made us feel like we were the only cabin he was responsible for and in return we tipped him accordingly.

I've never gone back and changed my tip based on the service received however I know plenty who have.

Buddy

Badbuoy.

Only once have we ever tipped less than the suggested amount and that time they were lucky they had a tip at all. We have over 200 nights on board and this was fortunately a one off experience.

We usually have great stewards and waiters and tip more than is suggested per day.

The one time we tipped less was a P&O cruise.

The other time we wished that we had tipped less was and on an RCI cruise. We were not impressed with either the steward or table waiters, especially when the cabin steward took it upon himself to take the tip that was waiting in the cabin, for us to give him personally, when we were not there.

Archived