Santa Monica Hotel ? for CJW or Bruin Steve

jamscckmc

You guys give great info!! We are looking for a beach hotel with views with a room for 4 for 3 pre-nights before our MOS cruise. Are there any right on the beach? Shutters is a little pricey. Loews doesn't allow more than 3 in a room. The Geogian looks nice with a reasonable suite for four but I hear being on Ocean Blvd is very noisy. Do you know of any hotels on the beach side of Ocean Blvd close to the pier? If not, what do you think of the Geogian? Oceana looks nice but not available for my dates.

A few other ???. Is the farmers market within walking distance from this area? Does the redline stop near here? How far from LAX to Santa Monica? How about from Long Beach air port? How far is the Long Beach pier from Santa Monica. We have 3 pre cruise days and want to stay an area close to everything. With four people and lots of lugguge, do you recommend the shuttle or a cab to Santa Monica? what about from Santa Monica to the Pier? Thanks so much!

We are looking for a beach hotel with views with a room for 4 for 3 pre-nights before our MOS cruise. Are there any right on the beach? Shutters is a little pricey. Loews doesn't allow more than 3 in a room. The Geogian looks nice with a reasonable suite for four but I hear being on Ocean Blvd is very noisy. Do you know of any hotels on the beach side of Ocean Blvd close to the pier? If not, what do you think of the Geogian? Oceana looks nice but not available for my dates.

You've hit most of the ones on the beach...

About the only one I see missing is Le Merigot...which should run about $300 per night with AAA discount...Curt, if he's around, will know more about specific hotels than I would

Is the farmers market within walking distance from this area?

If you're talking about the Santa Monica Farmers Market...the little neighborhood thing with temporary fruit and veggie stands on Wednesday and Saturday mornings...yes, that is at 2nd/3rd and Arizona...just a few blocks away...BUT if you are talking about THE Farmers Market...the permanent LA institution and Grove Shooing Center...well, that's about 10 miles away in the Fairfax District...You'll need a car, bus or taxi...

Does the redline stop near here?

If you are talking about the Starline Tours hop-on-hop-off bus, yes, their "yellow" route stops at the Santa Monica Pier, Ocean and Broadway and at the Third Street Promenade at Wilshire...you would change to the Red route to get to Farmers Market at 3rd and Fairfax

How far from LAX to Santa Monica? How about from Long Beach air port? How far is the Long Beach pier from Santa Monica.

LAX to Santa Monica: Approximately 10 miles (using Lincoln Blvd.)

LGB to Santa Monica: 32 miles

Long Beach Carnival Cruise Terminal to Santa Monica: 33 miles

With four people and lots of lugguge, do you recommend the shuttle or a cab to Santa Monica? what about from Santa Monica to the Pier?

Probably a shuttle...but a "dedicated shuttle"...I just checked PrimeTime shuttle and for a one-way from Loews to the Carnival Pier...and they want $77 for four people in a shared van...In a "private van", it's $95...LAX to the Loews=$60 shared, $72 private...Of course, you never know...a shared van might be crowded OR you might be the only 4 anyway...I'd pay the extra $12 or $18 myself...

Thanks Steve! Are any of those hotels actually on the beach or do you have to cross ocean ave?

Loews, Le Merigot, Shutters and Casa del Mar are on the beach side of Ocean Avenue...There is a small service road called Appian Way that actually runs between the hotels and the beach...but virtually zero traffic...So, for all intent and purpose, those four hotels are (the only ones) "on the beach"...

Hi Steve, Still trying to decide Jetblue to LB or United to LAX. Same price but on United we will have to add $25pp each way for luggage. LAX is much closer to SM. We will have to pay the same either way from SM to the pier but we will be much closer to LB airport on the way home and less traffic/worry on making it to LAX. Have you flown out of LB? Are there shuttles out of LB that go to Santa Monica? How much of a hassle is LAX? (of course my teenage daughter thinks she will see all kinds of "stars" at LAX)

Archived