What's the best way to get from Philadelphia area to Manhattan Cruise Terminal?

Limeygirl

We are cruising out of the Manhattan Cruise terminal in June. Just wanted to see what the best way (other than driving ourselves) to get from the Phila. area to the terminal. I know there is a bus out of the Allentown/Bethlehem area....just wanted to see if anyone knows of anything similar in the Philly area. I don't mind driving over the bridge into NJ, either, as long as parking is secure...we just don't want to drive all the way into Manhattan....We'd be divorced before we got on board the ship!

Thanks in advance!

There are inexpensive buses from 30th St to Port Authority. Then a quick cab ride to the terminal. Train is another option - either Amtrak (pricey) or Septa to Trenton and NJ Transit to NY and a quick cab ride to the terminal. It all depends how much time/money you want to spend on the transportation.

There are inexpensive buses from 30th St to Port Authority. Then a quick cab ride to the terminal. Train is another option - either Amtrak (pricey) or Septa to Trenton and NJ Transit to NY and a quick cab ride to the terminal. It all depends how much time/money you want to spend on the transportation.

I think easy is key here. Are the Busses from 30th St. to the Port Authority Direct, or are we looking at lots of stops and changing busses? That could work, as my in-laws could probably drop us off, and then our car would be safe at their house. I don't mind spending a little more $$$ for a faster, more direct route.

Look around on the internet. I am seeing Megabus which leaves from 30th St and actually drops you off at 28th & 7th Ave in NY (2 blocks from Penn Station) for $11 each way. Just be sure that you arrive somewhere uptown in NY (i.e. not Chinatown). Look for reviews of the bus services. It's really cheap already, so it might be worth spending a bit more $$ to get a well known carrier.

You could also look at Dave's Best Limo. They run daily shuttles to the NY ports. It's more expensive than the bus, but might be worth it. Unless you're very light packers, dealing with luggage on buses or trains can be difficult.

Actually, the drive from Phila to the Manhattan port is not that bad. It's only about 10 minutes of driving in the city once you leave the tunnel. But I understand it if you hate NY driving

i would take amtrak and a cab. at least at 30th street and NY Penn there's red cap service...

i'd skip SEPTA unless you're close enough to a station to get to 30th street that way.

yes luggage is a PITA on commuter trains, but it's do-able, depending on your packing needs and physical ability to haul!

Both of these buses leave from 30th Street and stop near Penn Station. Megabus makes one stop at 6th and Market in Philly, and Boltbus one stop in Cherry Hill. I always use them when I go to NYC. Seats are guaranteed if you purchase online. And unlike Greyhound the tickets are good for the time you select.

http://www.megabus.com

http://www.boltbus.com

The benefit of these buses over the train is they have luggage storage under the bus.

This may be out of your way, there is a transbridge bus every day from, Quakertown-Dublin-Doylestown Septa station- Lahaska(Peddlers Village)- outside New Hope PA-Flemington NJ-Newark Nj airport. to New York Port Authority then a 10-20- min taxi to the ship. We use it when we sail from NYC. If you sail from Bayonne, you can get a cab from Newark airport to the port. Go to transbridge.com for schedule.hope it helps. We are sailing on the Gem 3/20 and will take this route to the ship.

Thanks!

I'll look that one up...I did a search, and everything I had found dropped off in Chinatown. I don't know NYC very well, but was pretty sure Chinatown would be a pretty long cab ride from the pier.

this is Fung wah bus. Its about a $20-5 cab ride to the Manhattan cruise terminal....(straight across Canal Street and up west street to the terminal....). From Penn Station or the Port Authority Bus terminal the cab ride is in the $10-5 dollar range.

IMO Greyhound is terrible.

Since there are so many choices, if you were to specify where you would be coming from, there might be a more convenient departure point than from Center City Philadelphia.

Many times I have used Greyhound Bus from the terminal on Rt. 73 in Mt. Laurel, NJ. This is just right over the Tacony Bridge from Philadelphia. There is secure parking there. The parking area is fenced in. If you live in Philadelphia, this NJ terminal is more convenient than the Greyhound terminal in Center City Phila since parking would be very expensive for the week in Center City. This bus drops you off at the Port Authority bus terminal which is only a short cab ride to the cruise terminal. The only problem may be handling your luggage from the lower level of the terminal to the street level to get a cab. We had no big problem with the luggage but this may present a problem for you. There must be an elevator in the lower level of the bus terminal but we just never looked to find it.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Since there are so many choices, if you were to specify where you would be coming from, there might be a more convenient departure point than from Center City Philadelphia.

That's where it gets confusing....we live out in the Pottstown area, and would normally probably take the Trans-bridge fromm Allentown or Doylestown. BUT My in-laws who live in Delaware county are watching the kids, so we have to drop the kids off at their house, which is why I'm looking for something leaving from the Philly area.

I just thought of something...Is there any kind of shuttle that goes from PHL to the port? My in-laws are about 10 min from the airport...they could easily drop us off and keep our car at their house....definately the safest, cheapest parking we can find!

http://www.supertranspa.com $130 r/t (per person)

and http://davesbestlimoservice.com (One way $60 Round trip $110)

Both will pick you up at home (or at your inlaws)

IMO - you are still best off with Bolt or Megabus. You are in NYC in two hours, and have a short cab ride to the pier. The roundtrip will be about $26.00 per person. With a shuttle, you don't know how many stops it will make.

That's where it gets confusing....we live out in the Pottstown area, and would normally probably take the Trans-bridge from Allentown or Doylestown. BUT My in-laws who live in Delaware county are watching the kids, so we have to drop the kids off at their house, which is why I'm looking for something leaving from the Philly area.

I just thought of something...Is there any kind of shuttle that goes from PHL to the port? My in-laws are about 10 min from the airport...they could easily drop us off and keep our car at their house....definately the safest, cheapest parking we can find!

A few thoughts come to mind. If you were to drive yourselves from your in-laws, there's a bus stop in King of Prussia where Bieber Tourways would bring you non-stop to NYC (this company took over the former Capitol Trailways service). If I recall correctly from the last time I passed through this station, there's room to park, so you could call the station and find out if that is possible and practicable. 234 E. DeKalb Pike (U.S. 202), (610) 265-2900

Another thought is to be dropped off at one of the SEPTA train stations. The station at the airport is a possibility, but there are other stations that might be more convenient. Ride the commuter train to 30th Street station, then change trains there. Either (1) get another SEPTA train at 30th Street destined for Trenton where you will have a cross-platform transfer to a New Jersey Transit train to NYC, or (2) get an Amtrak train directly to NYC (Amtrak is more expensive than SEPTA+NJT).

Finally, getting a bus from center city Philadelphia would likely be more convenient than any of the suburban locations. Low fares can be obtained on both Megabus and BoltBus when booking in advance. (as little as $1 each way). Both companies pick up near 30th Street station, but both have outside bus stops without facilities. Greyhound Lines and Peter Pan Bus Lines have reasonable fares and station facilities at 1001 Filbert St (tickets are interchangeable between the two companies). Of these bus options, I find BoltBus to offer the best service, though it is usually easier to get a low fare on Megabus (though the difference in price is probably not much in comparison to the cruise fare). There's a bit of a risk with either with respect to weather, so if you're concerned with rain it might be better to go with Greyhound Lines or Peter Pan Bus Lines.

In any event I don't know of any reasonable service directly to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal from Philadelphia. But it is a short distance from both Port Authority Bus Terminal and Pennsylvania Station, and either a pleasant walk or a short and inexpensive taxi transfer.

We just came back from the Explorer out of Bayonne. We used Kaufmann Super Shuttle. He was a bit cheaper than Dave's for door to door service. He is the "new guy on the block" and Mike, the owner of the service does the driving. If you are like me and pack heavily when not flying, the shuttle is a great way to get to the port with a minimum of hassle. He goes to Manhattan because he was dropping a group there after he dropped us at Bayonne. Tell him that the people from Cheltenham recommended him. Enjoy your cruise.

We are cruising out of the Manhattan Cruise terminal in June. Just wanted to see what the best way (other than driving ourselves) to get from the Phila. area to the terminal. I know there is a bus out of the Allentown/Bethlehem area....just wanted to see if anyone knows of anything similar in the Philly area. I don't mind driving over the bridge into NJ, either, as long as parking is secure...we just don't want to drive all the way into Manhattan....We'd be divorced before we got on board the ship!

Thanks in advance!

Get a GPS, I did, it's a marriage savericon10.gif

Hugh

icon6.gif

Archived