Panama Canal Train Dome Car

yojohn

Zuiderdam March 31 2010 Partial Transit Has anyone been on the dome car Train we are thinking about doing that one any other suggestion?:)

We just returned from a 15 day full transit cruise with Princess which was marvelous. Dome car train tour was great - don't feel you have to spend the extra $$ on the domed section though. A few of our friends signed up for that one and felt the extra $$ was not worth it as all the sights are to your left and right. Bring layers though, the air conditioning is on super high (at least it was when we were on and have read on previous posts the same heads up :() There is a small gift shop in the entry area. Trip to Colon by train was nice and the bus ride back had a stop at the Gatun Locks location. The stop there also has a small gift shop if you are into souvenirs. Really nice overall. Great to see the area from another perspective. Have a great time.

I can't decide on the all day train tour of the canal with bus return or taking the smaller boat through the rest of the locks and bus back to ship. I'm booked on the Island Princess partial canal cruise. The train sounds terrific. Has anyone any experience with the boat going the rest of the way through to the Pacific? Anyone care to help me decide?

Thanks in advance

It's always fun to help people spend their money;)! Since you are going on a partial transit, if you took the Canal by Ferry (or whatever it's called) you would have almost completely transited the Canal. This tour takes you through the more scenic part of the Canal. You will go through the two locks on the Pacific side, transit the Gaillard Cut where the bulk of the excavation took place to dig through the Continental Divide. There is also two large bridges over the Canal that you will sail under, you can even claim bragging rights to being in two oceans in one day! The only portion of the Canal you don't see is the lake portion from Gatun to Gamboa, about 20 miles, but you can return on a complete transit later!! Just a reminder, the boat through the Canal, does not take you from the ship to complete the transit. You are bussed to the Pacific side, go through that portion of the Canal and then bussed back to Colon.

Not to sell the train short, it is a great tour, lets you see some of Panama from a dfferent perspective. In the past, after you have taken the train to the Pacific side, you get to take in the some sights via bus and the tour stopped at Miraflores Locks. The tour returns to Colon is by bus.

If you have not been to the Canal before, my choice would be to take the ferry. You get a different perspective of the operation. In the morning you will lock through Gatun Locks on a large ship and then later in the day you see everything from a smaller vessel, up close.

BillB48

Thank you for a very good description of touring the canal through the lock system. I appreciate the time you took to answer me. As I understand it from Princess, they take us by tender to a small marina where we get onboard a small boat or ferry for the rest of the journey through more locks to the Pacific side. Then we are take back to the ship via an air conditioned bus. I think the bus also makes some stops along the way back to the ship.

Thanks again.

That's almost correct. When you land at that marina, you then board a bus which will take you to the Pacific side where you then board the ferry for your trip through the Pacific end of the Canal. The trip back and forth across the Isthmus used to be much more of an "adventure" than it is now. They have opened up a modern expressway last May which makes the trip much quicker and smoother. Everyone who has tours will tender off the ship at the marina and only those on tours can disembark at this point sinced the area is rather remote.

Hope you will enjoy it, glad to help....

Archived