Drinking water

95roadking

We're sailing on the Poesia this Saturday. Do you get ice water delivered to your room on a daily basis? We had this on the Celebrity line.

If it is not delivered to your room , can you bring it to your room from the water dispnsers?

Thanks,

Mr. and Mrs. Roadking

No, they bring the ice. The staterooms have fridges where you can keep your water. Keep a small bottle of mineral water so you can refill it from the water dispenser. Anyhow, the dispensers work 24 hours a day so you can fill in a bottle before retiring for the night or...

buy a packet of mineral water bottles and get it from the bars arounf the ship or at meals.

You are not suppossed to refill water bottles from the water dispensers for hygeine reasons. If a member of crew observes you doing this, they may stop you.

Nothing to stop you filling the water bottle from the water in your cabin as it is safe to drink albeit a bit warm but the fridge and the ice bucket soon fixes that.

You are not suppossed to refill water bottles from the water dispensers for hygeine reasons. If a member of crew observes you doing this, they may stop you.

Nothing to stop you filling the water bottle from the water in your cabin as it is safe to drink albeit a bit warm but the fridge and the ice bucket soon fixes that.

The water in the cabins is supposed to be used only for washing reasons, no wonder so much norovirus goes around.

When they clean the bathroom, they clean the tap with the same cloth that cleans the sink....the tap is not sterilized as water dispenser taps are.

The water from dispensers is safer (and has a better taste, just bottled water) and as far as hygene is concerned, filling a small bottle is like filling a big glass.

The water in the cabins is supposed to be used only for washing reasons, no wonder so much norovirus goes around.

When they clean the bathroom, they clean the tap with the same cloth that cleans the sink....the tap is not sterilized as water dispenser taps are.

The water from dispensers is safer (and has a better taste, just bottled water) and as far as hygene is concerned, filling a small bottle is like filling a big glass.

First of all, I never said that I personally use the bathroom water but plenty of other people on the boards here say they have and that it is safe to drink. Also as far as I'm aware it is coming from the same water source as the iced water served in dining rooms and with which the ice onboard is made. I do agree that the stuff in the dispensers will taste better. I always buy bottles onboard.

Secondly filling a water bottle at a water dispenser is not the same as using the glasses provided because the glass is clean. the water bottle is not unless you have disinfected it before filling it. It is highly likely that the neck of the bottle will touch the water dispenser outlet and transfer germs.

It's so simple to just buy the water package coupons - 14 one-litre bottles for €20. I got a bottle every night at dinner and took it back to the cabin after. You can also use the coupons at any bar on the ship as well. This way you always have your own water available. If you don't use all your coupons, save them and use them on your next MSC cruise. They don't expire and don't have the name of any specific ship stamped on them.

It's so simple to just buy the water package coupons - 14 one-litre bottles for €20. I got a bottle every night at dinner and took it back to the cabin after. You can also use the coupons at any bar on the ship as well. This way you always have your own water available. If you don't use all your coupons, save them and use them on your next MSC cruise. They don't expire and don't have the name of any specific ship stamped on them.

@Capricruiser: did you buy this package onboard?

I must say I don't understand this whole obsession with bottled water, surely everyone drinks tap water at home? I only ever drink bottled water when I am in the grottiest of third world countries (read south east Asia), where they openly advise against drinking tap water even in nice hotels. Everywhere else that I have traveled in the world I have always drunk tap water without any problems.

Am I just lucky? Or is everyone being a little overcautious. :confused:

I just checked the MSC website. I don't see the water package offered on Caribbean sailings. Which is a bummer, as I was considering it after I seen this post. :( Not sure if it is available for purchase on the ship or not.

Bosca: Yes, I bought the water package.

Remi1au: Here in most places of Europe we also drink tap water BUT we're much more used to bottled water. I know, it's stupid when tap is free (or almost free!) but in restaurants for example, almost no one asks for tap water. Everyone seems to have a bottle on their table. At home I have it delivered about once a month because our water, even though perfectly drinkable, has a high limestone content - not great for the kidneys.

Dawnatsea: You buy the water package on board at any of the bars: it's a booklet of 14 coupons.

I just checked the MSC website. I don't see the water package offered on Caribbean sailings. Which is a bummer, as I was considering it after I seen this post. :( Not sure if it is available for purchase on the ship or not.

Italian ships always offer bottled water, if you don't find it on MSC home page, just ask Customer Service.

It is 2,30 euro for the big bottle (just came off last month :) )

It may be that they don't offer a bottled water package on the US sailings because they provide as much free iced tap water as you want at meals.

remi1au - I always drink tap water at home and anywhere else it is available and safe to drink. On MSC's European sailings I get the water packages not because of concerns about water safety or being overcautious but because it is nigh on impossible to get tap water at meals without making a fuss, so for the sake of 20euros and always having plenty cold water to drink, I just do as they "do in Rome" and go with the mineral water. (usually have to do the same in other mediterranean countries too)

no most europeans, especially germans do not drink tap water at home. You will get wide eyed stars if you drink tap water since they believe it to be toliet water and can not understand how someone would want to drink it, to them it is foul. I dont know the condition of the water, but in their culture they find it grose to drink water out of the tap.

no most europeans, especially germans do not drink tap water at home. You will get wide eyed stars if you drink tap water since they believe it to be toilet water and can not understand how someone would want to drink it, to them it is foul. I dont know the condition of the water, but in their culture they find it grose to drink water out of the tap.

I believe you are not well informed : we do not believe it is "toilet water". Most cities, in fact, like Turin and Rivalta di Torino (where I live), give their "tap water" to american and russian astronauts and it is normally used as table water when at home.

Dining out we prefer to drink bottled water because of its taste (no cloride) and because it would be considered very cheap to ask for tap water when dining.

Archived