Athens Taxi and Metro

wdmtraveler

Would like some advice and assistance with transportation to and from our ship in Athens. We are planning to do Athens on our own. We would like to take a taxi to the Acropolis and possibly take the metro back to the ship.

Will it be difficult to find the metro station from the Plaka area? In what direction to we go from the Plaka and can anyone give me directions back to the port from the metro station in Pireaus?

Thanks for your help.

some advice and assistance with transportation to and from our ship in Athens. We are planning to do Athens on our own. We would like to take a taxi to the Acropolis and possibly take the metro back to the ship.

Will it be difficult to find the metro station from the Plaka area?

From Pireaus it is quicker, cheaper and more efficient to take the Athens Metro upto the station of Monastiraki close to Plaka and the Partenon.

Depends where the cruise vessel is berthing. You will need a little walk 15/20 minutes to the metro alongside the port boulevard.

after exiting the Metro station, just ask directions to the Acropolis-the directions given will depend upon which door you use to exit. It is VERY easy- be aware that you will be climbing up a lot of steps, if mobility is an issue. The Plaka area is directly across the square from the metro station-asking directions is best as maps and street names are very confusing. Wandering around the area is fun and there are numerous shops and restaurants.

The Athens metro web site is www.amel.gr . I have been to Athens many times and I prefer to take the metro to a taxi. There are different colors for different lines. I would suggest you buy the all day pass which allows you to take the metro, the bus, trolley, eletric rail for a day. Make sure you validate your ticket before getting on the metro.

Archived